09 VRS Ltd Edition 2.0 Tsi Engine Gone Bang!

Hi all,

Just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem....

Car driven 37 miles to work, parked up for 12 hours, try to re-start and just spins over.

RAC comes out, and does a compression check, no compression whatsoever!!!

His suggestion is the camchain tensioner has packed up, chain has slipped - You can guess the damage that will have done!

Car has 86K on the clock and has religously had 10K oil services!

After a bit of research this is a fairly common problem on the 2.0 TSI.

Anyone else had this problem?

• Like 1

The more I look into it, the more I can see it happening too!

Fair enough mine has done 87K miles now, but for a modern engine that has had oil changes every 10K to be destroying itself is terrible, and more annoying is that Skoda knew about it, and didnt tell anyone.

Skoda have not heard the end of this.... Seriously Pi**ed off!

There was a revised part released - not entirely clear when it was released though. Apparently the issue relates to a ratchet sleeve issue, that allows the tensioner to slacken off too much when the oil pressure drops, the chain jumps and the next time you start it the engine is toast.

Even if VAG don't want to change them - at least it would be comforting if they issued a statement to say that they'd cover any that fail outside warranty, as it requires a complete replacement Engine.

Maybe time for an email to see if my September 11 TSi will have the old or new one fitted.

Paul

Uhmm I may give my local dealer a bell tommorow see what's going on with this issue as seems a fair few people across forums have had this issue now

Guess all tsi vrs run the ccza engine code...??

So the story for a TSI owner is to change these for the revised part and then change them every 100k after that?

FWIW if your car is less than 6 years old and you've got somebody willing to say it's a known design issue and it killed your car, then I'd suggest you look at the sales of goods act, specifically goods not of a reasonable quality.

Obviously that only works against the dealer you purchased the vehicle from.

If you ask me this and the PD170 injector recall that required thousands of complaints to VOSA before they'd do anything pretty much sum up the VAG attitude to quality and doing the right thing for a customer.

EDIT:

Here is another victim on the forum:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/253954-argh-dead-engine/

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Sorry to hear the news on the car brown_d9 i dont really know how these things happen but its must be a nightmare for you. just to let you know during the first service of my LE they did a mod/changed to the chain tightener on the car. It wasnt a recall it was but a notice to the Skoda garage to carry out this work, I knew nothing about it until they said.

I spoke to my dealer today Blade Gloucester they said they knew nothing about this issue as they don't really sell any petrol Vrs cars great help they were...

They did check my reg no to see if any recalls were outstanding though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, My car was towed to my local Skoda dealer for a Skoda UK paid 1 hour of diagnostics, just heard back from the garage that it would appear my Cam Chain has slipped, but they need to strip the engine down to acertain how much damage has been caused.

Still waiting to hear back from Skoda UK as to how the "investigation" is going to see if they are going to cough up anything to help fix my car..... And a very unhappy Skoda driver!

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.... If anyone is still looking at this post :-)

Basically Skoda can find no fault with any of the timing gear in my car (tensioned, chain, cams) etc so my chain has magically slipped whilst parked in a car park switched off..... And now i am faced with a 4K bill for a new engine!

Not a happy bunny!

I cant see how the chain can have slipped if everything is working exactly as it should, seems to me that the tension temporarily lost tension for some reason, chain slipped and then it returned to the tension position.... Either way 3 year old car..... 4K bill ...... Not happy with the garage or Skoda UK customer services who take an age to get back to you, and are somewhat aggressive at times..... Wont be buying another Skoda.... Even though it has been a superb car up to now!

• Like 1

Another update.... If anyone is still looking at this post :-)

Basically Skoda can find no fault with any of the timing gear in my car (tensioned, chain, cams) etc so my chain has magically slipped whilst parked in a car park switched off..... And now i am faced with a 4K bill for a new engine!

Not a happy bunny!

I cant see how the chain can have slipped if everything is working exactly as it should, seems to me that the tension temporarily lost tension for some reason, chain slipped and then it returned to the tension position.... Either way 3 year old car..... 4K bill ...... Not happy with the garage or Skoda UK customer services who take an age to get back to you, and are somewhat aggressive at times..... Wont be buying another Skoda.... Even though it has been a superb car up to now!

Fill in the appropriate paperwork to start a small claims case against the supplying dealer.

The car is obviously not of reasonable quality if you've got a £4000 bill for repair or a key part that affects it's ability to do the job at such a young age.

Plenty of case law and the worse case is you end up throwing away a little money and have a very limited costs award against you.

More likely is that the judge would see your side (IMHO but I'm not a lawyer).

You'll have legal cover on your insurance most of the time, so have a look at that if you think costs will come.

It's amazing how many bills go away when lawyers get involved.

For more details look for the sales of goods act and speak to your local CAB or half hour free lawyer.

I wonder what Great Uncle VW or Aunty Audi say on this matter.

Like the wastegate clip TSB if VW recognise it on their models with this engine then Skoda must follow suit.

I'm guessing there are possibly more MK6 Golf GTI's throughout the world than facelift Octy vRS's

I wonder what Great Uncle VW or Aunty Audi say on this matter.

Like the wastegate clip TSB if VW recognise it on their models with this engine then Skoda must follow suit.

I'm guessing there are possibly more MK6 Golf GTI's throughout the world than facelift Octy vRS's

Possibly, but at this point I'd personally issue proceedings and then see if they decide to settle.

It's beyond disgusting that they've responded in the way they have for a car less than 4 years old!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have just had to authorise the work, as I need to get my car back!

As for the whole legal preceedings, I dont really know where to start to be honest, and is it really going to be worth it, they have diassembled my car and can find nothing wrong with it, as far as they can tell the tensioner is doing its job as it should be. ( I personally believe it failed temporarily, allowing the chain to slip, and then somehow returned to its correct position)

How am little old me going to go to court and win against a "fully qualified" Skoda mechanic who can find no mechanical problems that could have caused the damage in question?

How else could the car be damaged other than by a fault as you describe?

How could you have driven the car in such a was as to cause the fault.

If they have no answers to the above I;d suggest you're not finished yet.

trading standards will advise you, do everything in writing and start to mention the press, watchdog etc to Skoda UK.

I think they have to prove its not faulty. You could ask for the old engine and see if you could get an independent report. Also search for other people that have had similar issues. I'm sure there is a revised cam tensioner available, the pictures being either on here or another vw forum. I would also look at the legal option, if an engine goes bang then it must be for a reason. Usually there is something like a belt that fails or bits try and make there way out the top of the engine.

I'm looking at the tsi engine and I do know there are quite a number out there but the worrying trend of the going bang is off putting. I think if I did find a tsi I would have the tensioner changed for peace of mind, something that kind of goes against the benefits of chains.

The focus 1.0 ecoboost is sounding better everyday !

• Like 1

Don't let them do the work, get a hire a cheap car for a week or take taxi's etc and keep receipts then speak to the CAB or a lawyer.

There is no way on earth you should be footing that bill until you know the full facts and a cause of failure, especially with the updated part out there. Things don't just break themselves and even if it's not the tensioner, something broke/didn't work to let a parked car have an issue when it started.

You have legal rights that say that too.

http://www.which.co....l-claims-court/

This bit is useful (look at the reasonable time and cars are usually 6 years, but seek advice)

http://www.advicegui...ory_quality.htm

http://www.advicegui...mall_claims.htm

This last link is really easy.

https://www.gov.uk/m.../going-to-court

What I'd say is take it up with the supplying dealer if this dealer isn't as they have obligations.

https://www.gov.uk/m.../going-to-court

Note, I'm not a lawyer, but there are plenty out there and a call to the Citizens Advice (CAB) will tell you all you need to know.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

Eh! Hang on a sec!

The engine is in need of replacement.

The car is at a Skoda dealer and they have spent an hour looking over the car in an effort to diagnose the fault.

So, what is their diagnosis? What is the fault? What part has failed? What caused it to fail?

To say "everything looks OK to us" isn't good enough.

Something has gone spectacularly wrong and this Skoda dealer, with the support of Skoda UK, using Skoda trained technicians with Skoda diagnostics systems can't actually tell you what went wrong?

I would be going absolutely mental.

This is a natural response from a manufacturer - test the water. See if the customer will roll over without a fight and pay up themselves. This could save them £4,000. Their efforts so far are working. I wish I had £4K to hand over so easily.

• Like 2