09 VRS Ltd Edition 2.0 Tsi Engine Gone Bang!

Besides, it would seem (to be confirmed) that because it is a refurb unit I am only getting a 1 year / 12000 miles warranty.... All genuine Skoda parts come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty... Taken from Skodas own Warranty guidelines.

I wonder how that reconciles with the OFT's guidance on the Sales of Goods Act:

A customer has legal rights if the goods they purchased do not conform to contract (are faulty). The Act says that to conform to contract goods should:

• match their description :by law everything that is said about the product must not be misleading - whether this is said by a sales assistant, or written on the packaging, in-store, on advertising materials or in a catalogue

I would still want a 100% contribution myself. That part has history and a number of revisions, it clearly is what failed on your TSi, there is no service requirement to change that part. It is clearly not fit for purpose.

That is my take anyway.

Yeah it is pretty common place, but I was never told it was a refurb unit, and I always wanted the old engine back (for my own reasons)

I am paying £3800 (discount price) for a used engine effectively, surely that is brand new engine money.

Besides, it would seem (to be confirmed) that because it is a refurb unit I am only getting a 1 year / 12000 miles warranty.... All genuine Skoda parts come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty... Taken from Skodas own Warranty guidelines.

Yeah I will be kicking up a massive fuss, and will be going to press if i dont get what i want / am legally entitiled to.....

If the tensioner is faulty, then they should be footing the whole bill (100%) and you paying nothing.

If they won't do that, then get the engine and go to the small claims court, where it's likely they will find in your favour.

It's a f**king joke IMHO and if the dealer won't fix the car, then sue the supplying dealer into the ground.

Hi there,

No I havnt been gagged..... Yet.... Lol

Currently the car is still sat at the Skoda Dealers, reconditioned engine fitted, test driven and ready to go.

Still waiting for Skoda UK to advise what there revised warranty decision is based on the new information that the tensioner is in fact faulty... Also waiting for confirmation on whether the recon engine is warrantied for 2 years / unlimited mileage.

Also preparing the nessecary paperwork to take said dealership to small claims court for mis-selling a used / reconditioned engine as a new one. Whether this is Skoda UKs fault we are not sure, as half the gargage thought it was in fact new. But the route we have to go down is taking the dealer to court.

Thats basically where I stand at the minuite... More info to follow as soon as i know more.

• Like 1

The real issue is you purchased a car, that from what you're saying, has an inherent design fault and as such wasn't of a suitable quality.

You have to take the supplying dealer for that, but long and short if what you're saying is right, then IMHO you shouldn't have to pay a penny for the repair IMHO.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Dear Mr Brown

I am writing with reference to our ongoing conversations, regarding the issue with your vehicles engine, and your request for a

contribution towards your maintenance expenses.

Since I spoke to you on 5 December regarding diagnostic work by Essex Auto Group, I have received further advice from John

Baxter - Workshop Controller.

I must advise that though we discussed that the Warranty channel was being re-examined I have since been informed by John Baxter

that in the professional opinion of Essex Auto Group the route cause of the issue is not a defect of manufacture. As such the

Warranty Department will not accept a claim. John Baxter has also explained that in his professional opinion, our Technical

Product Information Bulletin that you have previously mentioned is not relevant to the issue with your engine.

As such my decision must regrettably remain the same.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA Customer Services

Ooh am I mad!

After us proving to the mechanics at Essex auto group Skoda that the tensioner is faulty, they have still lied to Skoda UK, or visa versa, and are still saying there is no mechanical fault with my tensioner.

Please avoid essex auto group Skoda at all costs!

Only just seen this thread mate of mine with an 11 plate Tsi vRS had the same thing happen to him on start-up, went bang ,and destroyed the engine, and it was mapped. Skoda initially tried to blame it on the map, but Shark very kindly intervened on my mates behalf saying no way could the map be to blame .Skoda paid out in full for a NEW top half of the engine, ( no cost to the owner) dealer was Dm Keiths Bradford , you can pm me for his number, he has not been on here in years

• Like 1

Take all your info to whatcar/auto express/sunday post etc and when you tell them about it say it has happened to quite a few cars and they should be interested in it. Get them to write an articale on it slating skoda about it and its amazing what can happen.

Skoda: New engine sir?

You: Yes please

Skoda: No problem sir. That will be free. Is that ok?

You: Yes, thankyou.

Also report it to VOSA and if enough people report it they may issue a recall.

Edited by Blackline Stu

Guess what.... been to the garage this morning to find out why they reported that there was nothing wrong with it.... And guess what..... that is not what they told Skoda UK at all, they informed Skoda UK that it WAS a manufacturing fault!

So its in fact Skoda UK that are bare face lying to my face... Essex auto group are now nearly as pi**ed off as i am!

Please disregard my previous comment about Essex Auto Group being to blame....

This situation is going from bad to worse it really is, a farce from beginning to end!

Guess what.... been to the garage this morning to find out why they reported that there was nothing wrong with it.... And guess what..... that is not what they told Skoda UK at all, they informed Skoda UK that it WAS a manufacturing fault!

So its in fact Skoda UK that are bare face lying to my face... Essex auto group are now nearly as pi**ed off as i am!

My niece recently lied to her Mum, told her that parent's evening was cancelled, then told her teacher her Mum was busy and couldn't attend. It didn't occur to her that the teacher and her Mum know each other and speak fairly frequently......I'm detecting a theme here.

Shocking to observe the lengths a customer services dept. will apparently go to, to avoid coughing up. For the sake of other stitched-up motorists and the basic principle of the matter, I hope you are able to see this through to the desired outcome.