auto locking

colingo

My wife has come home in a flap saying her car has locked its self at tesco with the key in the ignition is this a normal function ?. The car is a fabia VRS 07 se, ive had it before where ive unlocked the car opened the garage door gone back to the car to find it had locked its self however i would have thought it wasnt posible if the key was in the ignition.

Anyone else experianced this, is it normal, can this function be disabled ???

Cheers Colin

Only thing I can think of is that the door open sensor has failed, so it didn't know not to re-lock? (But then the key in the ignition should negate that, surely?)

If you open the drivers door, do the interior lights come on as they should do/does the 'lights on' buzzer sound?

• Like 3

I've experienced a very similar thing earlier!

When I had the drivers door open the car locked itself after a minute or 2. Then the alarm went off, so at least I know that works LOL!

However, like the above, is this a normal feature on this car?

It's supposed to relock if no doors have been open yes. And a very useful feature it is too I think. As above though, if it locks itself even after a door has been open, there is something wrong with it.

It's supposed to relock if no doors have been open yes. And a very useful feature it is too I think. As above though, if it locks itself even after a door has been open, there is something wrong with it.

I think my issue is related to an electrical fault. It's in the garage this week as the boot sensor is not releasing either and my instrument lights have all gone, so driving at night with no dashboard lights is very challenging!!

Common fault is the switch in the door. This also stops the boot opening. It's a security feature which stops the boot opening until you've got out. No instrument lights might well be a fault with the little wheel on the light switch. Try giving it a tap and turning it a little to see if the lights come on.

Edited by anewman

Common fault is the switch in the door. This also stops the boot opening. It's a security feature which stops the boot opening until you've got out. No instrument lights might well be a fault with the little wheel on the light switch. Try giving it a tap and turning it a little to see if the lights come on.

After looking at this issue, it appears a fuse had blown! So I now have my dashboard lights back, but the boot sensor is still playing up!!

Sometimes it opens no problem whatsoever, however some other times it just dosen't play ball! Thoughts are either: a dodgy boot sensor, boot lock is too tight hence not releasing properly, wiring loom issue on boot or a loose connection! I'll have to strip everything down to see, unless you have any other ideas?!

As I said, driver's door switch. Try open you driver's door then the boot. Then try open the passenger door then the boot. It will probably open after passenger door has been opened as the switch is working in that door.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this info. Had car in the garage for few bits recently and they picked up on the drivers door lock having an intermittent fault! It's not showing that the drivers door is open, hence why the boot plays up every so often!

So do I need a new door lock mechanism or worth going to a breakers yard?