Mk1 Octavia VRS - which oil & how much for oil change (getting conflicting info)

• 3 years later...

I'm very obsessed when I change the oil...I want to drain it much as possible.So after let it drain about 15 minutes ,I crank the engine for 1 second without starting it.

So ,every time I fill it up I use the same 4.8L

My mechanic also do the same , just he do twice the start, and without ignition just starter.

The engine has enough oil to doesnt make any bad to it .

Better thing is that you remove the whole used oil from the conducts.,and make more way for the new one.

Also i have a question about oil change.

I have my vrs mk1 since 2010 and in the first 2-3 years i used castrol edge 5w30 full synt, until once i had oil pressure problems.

The engine lost oil pressure at all when i revved the engine abowe 4000rpm, the after a while the oil pressure came back suddenly.

The problem was that the oil had a lot of residue/sediment and was stuckin the oil line and some of oil recirculating valve .

So it was a misterious thing ,and after a google search after a Fake castrol oil i found that many pages are talking about that thay are fake castrol replicas, so i booked that was the reason.

I changed to motul 5w30 8100 xclean+ ,which was working well.

Now i have to change the oil and i want to change to Motul 5w30 or 5w40 300v power racing the metal packaged one to avoid the potential fake products.(sorry but for eastern europe countryes manytimes we had produced fake products specially for those countries)

Now my question is that what is the difference in 5w30 and 5w40 ?? i think the thickness at warm engine is higher with 5w40 or ?

It is better to change from 5w30 to 5w40 for a 208k km onboard or what does that change if a change to ? 

or just stick with my 5w30 used since i have the car ?

The car doesnt use any extra drop of oil so the reason which i want to change to 5w40 is perhaps would be more powerfull at high temp. engine at summertime than with the 5w30 ...but its just my tought , please feedback your opinion about !

Thanx in advance

• 1 month later...

What about if topping oil up just? I've only had my VRS a few months and not sure what oil in it, was going to check oil today before a 120mile round trip think I've some fully synthetic 5w30 here would that be ok?

What folks reckon best when I service in a few months, it's only 67k on it

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Going to service mine in next few weeks, it's only 68k on it, best to ask Skoda dealer what they recommend? Car has full history and has only covered around 5k a year or less so want to keep it right.

Going to service mine in next few weeks, it's only 68k on it, best to ask Skoda dealer what they recommend? Car has full history and has only covered around 5k a year or less so want to keep it right.

No - VW 504.00/507.00 spec oil (usually 5W-30) is recommended for 'long life' service intervals and 502.00/505.00 for fixed intervals. Many people on here use the 'long life' oil but change it at fixed intervals. If you're only doing 5k a year I'd probably use 502/505 oil (it's a bit cheaper) and change it once a year.

Had 5W-30 in all my vRS, both Kroon (now) and Valvoline (previous). In my Cosworth and C20LET days I have read loads of information about oils, including a Dutch test which the Subaru GT/WRX/555 boys offered there oil to a lab and guess what: no major differences in particles had been found between mineral, semi and synthetic! Not even major differences between 5W-30 and 10W-60, although best results were with 5 and 10W-40...

• 3 weeks later...

Doing it this week, going to get  oil and filter from skoda dealer just, just to confirm fixed interval oil as annual service 5k miles should be ok? Or would the long life be a better job? Want keep it right don't mind spending a few quid more

Me id use fully synt 5/30 or 5/40, if being done at 5k intervals in my opinion youre being very cautious indeed which is a good thing. Cant see you going wrong no matter what you choose with those intervals :)

Hi, I put Shell Helix 5w 40 fully synth longlife in mine recently.

This was especially for VAG models and seems to be a good oil. It took all 5 litres tho

Edited by Buster5

• 4 years later...
  • Administrators

I’ve only ever used Quantum LongLife III 5W-30 from TPS. They sell 5L for £19, and when on offer for £13. Both used in my VRS and the diesel. I do an oil change every 10k or 1 year which ever comes first.

C3E932DC-CAA6-49CD-9E83-FFA6D75D9ABE.thumb.jpeg.93401e35b67975eb254e4b23dc1f571a.jpeg

Edited by DeanVRS20VT
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2021 at 07:43, nutters_uclan said:

Did I goof?

The Shell website suggested this was the correct oil for my MK1 vRS.

It meets VW 502/505 spec too. 

However, no one in this thread seems to be using 10w40, or HX7 specifically!

Hmm I don't think that oil used to be to spec, maybe it's changed in the last few years.

It'll probably be fine but when there are better oils available for £20 (or less if you're lucky to be able to buy from TPS) then I'd use one of those.