Winter Tyres?

doleawg

Just sold a Land Rover Discovery and bought my 1st Skoda. Like this whole filling up for £70 and doing 600 miles out of a tank as opposed to filling up for £110 and doing 470 miles :wall:

On my Discovery I ran 19 inch ATR's all year round. My Skoda has 225/40 R18 tyres, it is a 2010 plate Superb. Haven't got the brand to hand but they look very slick compared to my Discovery tractor tyres.

Thinking of getting some Winter tryes. This was always a huge emotive topic in Disco world but some questions

What brand would someone recommend?

Whats the thoughts on leaving Winters on all year, I'm not rich so left the ATR's on the Disco all year and they were fine.?

If running Winters do most run on 2 sets of Alloys/

Thanks

Edited by doleawg

What brand would someone recommend?

Personally I REALLY rate Nokian’s (along with everyone else who has tried them - not seen a bad review yet)

Used both the Nokian WR G2’s and WR A3’s, both amazing performance.

I am currently using Bridgestone Blizzaks as I got a new set on new Audi (BBS) alloys at a price I could not say no to, they are good, but certainly not in the same league as the Nokian’s.

Whats the thoughts on leaving Winters on all year, I'm not rich so left the ATR's on the Disco all year and they were fine.?

It’s certainly doable, but I prefer to run the smaller 205/55/16’s, cheaper tyres, better fuel economy and what you save on the 18’s goes towards the extra wheels.

If running Winters do most run on 2 sets of Alloys

Yes, personally I could not fit steels for 3+ months per year, they do not look cool and retro on a modern car like some think, they just look cheap and nasty IMO.

• Like 1

I currently run a Disco3 with ATR's alongside my Superb (the Skoda gets used far more), for the Skoda I run two sets of alloys, one for winter one for summer. You can get away with ATR's all year round on the Disco because traction wise you can easily get around in Winter, alot of that is down to the advanced 4x4 system working with the traction of the tyres, they are Mud & Snow (M&S) tyres but they are not Winter tyres, .

Take sheet ice for an example, the stuff you can hardly stand on, the D3 has no problem with starting on sheet ice, however stopping is another issue, ATR's are only as good as summer tyres for braking, many a times I have slid along merrily in the D3 with the ABS activated in icy conditions and wondered where I'll end up!

There are all-season tyres available but they are a compromise that I reckon would be similar to the ATR compromise, OK for getting going in Winter, but braking might be compromised, in Summer the same braking compromise might be evident.

For me, the advantages in braking are reason alone to have two sets of wheels.

Hi,

Your right, this topic seems to get very emotive, but I'm on the side of getting winter tyres fitted, on the theory that they only have to work better once, to have paid for themselves.

I took the plunge last year and bought Dunlop Wintersport D4's, after reading reviews and these always being in the top 2 or 3 tested. I've never driven any other winter tyres so can not give any comparison, but what really struck me was the increased performance when braking in 'adverse' conditions, the anti lock didn't cut in and everything was very calm, while others seemed to be having all sorts of issues.

I actually invested in a second hand set of Octavia Scout alloys, as the changing tyres over on the wheels every 6 months was too much of a faff and potential for damage.

If you leave winter tyres on all year I would imagine that you will see increased wear and some degradation in handling when running them in warm weather.

Nokian WR-G2s here, excellent grip in the damp, can't comment on snow/ice performance just yet as - you guessed it - it's been too warm. On black steels. Which do look cool and retro, actually.

Don't they?

Yesterday the old fella next door asked me if someone had nicked my alloys. I said the black look is in. He just laughed.

Might really have to get some trims (I'm not convinced quite yet!).

Ebay is always a good place to look, a decent set of 16” genuine Audi alloys can be had for less than £200, ideally the size you are looking for are:

5x112 PCD (stud fitment - Pitch Circle Diameter)

7J (width, sometimes the J is omitted)

16” (diameter)

ET45 (offset)

57.1mm (centre bore)

The PCD and Centre bore needs to be as above, the ET you can go anywhere between ET 45 - ET 50 without issue, sometimes a bit more/less, width again is flexible between 6” - 8”, but 7” is ideal for 205’s.

There are also a set in the classifieds that will fit the Superb (the tyres are winter tyres as well - but they are on the 4mm limit where winter tyres become less effective in the snow)

i couldn't be done with the "black look" so, put 18" Skoda Luxon alloy's and VerdestineWintracXtreme's onto mine. (bought from eBay iro £300 for the set of 4, brand new, in the boxes)

She's been everywhere i pointed her without hesitation for the last 2 winters; this is winter 3 for the alloys coming up... like YearOfTheGoat above, i also have 4x4...

Al.

i couldn't be done with the "black look" so, put 18" Skoda Luxon alloy's and VerdestineWintracXtreme's onto mine. (bought from eBay iro £300 for the set of 4, brand new, in the boxes)

She's been everywhere i pointed her without hesitation for the last 2 winters; this is winter 3 for the alloys coming up... like YearOfTheGoat above, i also have 4x4...

Al.

had Vredesteins on the Discovery at one point. Lovely tyre, left them on all year.

So winter tyres...

You get more traction in snow & ice

Better stability and steering on ice

Shorter braking in cold weather, up to 20% according to tests compared to summer tyre

In summer, on average when tested, winter tyres are about 10% less efficient at braking than summer tyres.

Bear in mind when you look at these tests you can get variations of 10% or more between brands of tyre.

So on stats if you are going to pick one set of tyres for all year round, then logic would say put winters on.

Obviously optimal is to run two sets and change.

Personally living in the south, running a 4x4, I run summers all year round ;)

Brand wise i'd recommend either continental or pirelli...though Nokian are very good so I hear. Though to be honest almost any winter tyre will be better than summer tyres on snow/ice...note almost any...as some of the exotic budget tyres seem horrendous! Saying that, not all of the expensive/big brands are automatically good either...check out various german tyre reviews like ADAC or AutoMotorUndSport

Brand wise i'd recommend either continental or pirelli...though Nokian are very good so I hear. Though to be honest almost any winter tyre will be better than summer tyres on snow/ice...note almost any...as some of the exotic budget tyres seem horrendous! Saying that, not all of the expensive/big brands are automatically good either...check out various german tyre reviews like ADAC or AutoMotorUndSport

So what you are really saying is don't ask me ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Steve :)

The tyres that seem to win most of the recent European winter tyre tests organised for websites and magazines are currently Continental TS830 or TS850, Goodyear Ultragrip 8 and Dunlop SP Wintersport. Nokian also usually get excellent scores but as they are so winter focused they seem to be recommended mainly for those places that get snow for months at a time. Not sure which of the above are available in Superb sizes.

Personally I wont be fitting winter tyres on the Skoda as I already have them on my Fiat which I will use on those few really dodgy traction days.

I just purchased s set of winter steelies in 205/55/16 with Firestone Winterhawks Evo 2. It's not the tyre I would have chosen but its what the dealers had in stock ready to go. Lets hope they are safer. It's not really been constantly below 7deg yet so will leave fitting just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst in a taxi rank

I have just fitted new Goodyear Ultragrip 8s on black steelies on my New elegance. Car looks dull but I am not bothered.

205 55 16 94V.

Fine, quiet enough and comfy and handles fine in the dry and wet. Not used in Snow yet. Reviews are good so am expecting a competent showing.

Previously had Vredestein Snowtrac 3s on my previous Yeti and Octavia. My first experience of winter tyres and were an eye opening revelation. I had not thought such grip and cornering performance was possible - even on winters! Had most grip on compact white snow - ie the worst conditions for Summers. Gives the tread something to bite into. Great on freshly fallen snow and impressive on everything else too!

Good in heavy rain - no aquaplaning.

Vredesteins used for two winters but too low a load rating for the superb - hence the change to Goodyears.

Sold the Vreds to a mate at work for £150. Had About 5-6mm tread left - not bad eh?

I would say that if you are going to buy winter tyres, get decent ones. They may be a bit more expensive but you will reap the full benefit. Your jingling/Jingu/pingalings might be better in snow than summers but perform worse everywhere else.

• Like 1

I'm toying with the idea of changing my Octavia Scout for a Superb. Whilst I advocate two sets of tyres, I have been running some Wrangler AT/R on the Scout and another car all year round and have been very pleased with them. I bought 3 sets when they were £100 each but as production ceased their price has almost doubled if you can even find any.

At 245/45 R 17 they only just fit the Scout, and I've no idea if they will fit the Superb.

I also run Hankook Optimo 4S on another vehicle. Although 4 season tyres they have outperformed some conventional winter tyres in winter tests.

If you have 2 sets of wheels, go for the best reviewed winter tyres you can afford as braking will be better.

I'm toying with the idea of changing my Octavia Scout for a Superb. Whilst I advocate two sets of tyres, I have been running some Wrangler AT/R on the Scout and another car all year round and have been very pleased with them. I bought 3 sets when they were £100 each but as production ceased their price has almost doubled if you can even find any.

At 245/45 R 17 they only just fit the Scout, and I've no idea if they will fit the Superb.

SHOULD HAVE PUT 18 (not 17 as per original wheels).

I also run Hankook Optimo 4S on another vehicle. Although 4 season tyres they have outperformed some conventional winter tyres in winter tests.

If you have 2 sets of wheels, go for the best reviewed winter tyres you can afford as braking will be better.

So what you are really saying is don't ask me ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Steve :)

Not quite, what I'm saying is that there is not a 'best' tyre or brand. Choice of tyre depends on the individual circumstances of e.g. how much cash you have, whether you are more fussed about fuel economy, grip on ice, grip on snow, grip in rain, tyre noise, tyre wear etc... so for example someone living in the south of england where its more likely to rain than experience snow is going to choose a different tyre than someone living in Polar Finland where snow handling is the primary concern.

So in fact yes, don't ask me, but choose your tyre based on your circumstances. If you are willing to pay for a premium brand (as I believe its not worth compromising on safety for the sake of saving a few euros) with good snow/wet handling and aren't too bothered about noise and live in a country with lots of snow in winter (like me) but also a lot of slush when the temperature pops over zero then definitely choose Pirelli Sotozero Winter or ContiWinterContact :)

I've got Pirelli's SotoZero's on the front of my wife's car now - her pair of Vredestine's are on the back now after 4 winters on front.

The Pirelli's are good, but not as good as the Vredestines.... (This is on a 2wd Kia Cee'd Diesel)

Al.

I have recently swapped from an Octavia Scout to a Superb Estate and have a spare set of the Scout wheels with 245/50 17 Dunlop Winter tyres on (prevously used on the Scout). These have fitted straight onto the Superb (standard fit = 225/40 18) with a rolling difference of around 2%.

Edited by Tonyp5a

I recently fitted the Continental WinterContact TS830s (my pockets aren't happy as they didn't come cheap!) but I'm very happy with the performance so far. No chance for testing in any proper winter weather yet, but having recently moved to the North Penines, I'm sure it won't be long. Infinitely better than the horrible Contis fitted as standard, far better grip in the wet, and quieter to boot which is a bonus. Predicted wear is also very good (the standard tyres needed replaced at the front with only 12500 miles on the clock which is appaling).

Curious to see how they perform with some snow and ice, but hopeful of good things based on current levels of grip.

I asked a friend who tests tyres for a living, and he told me Dunlops are regarded as a reference. I managed to get a set of nearly new Themistos which are what's on my car. Not cheap, but not full price either. I bought them from another member of this forum!

I've got Pirelli's SotoZero's on the front of my wife's car now - her pair of Vredestine's are on the back now after 4 winters on front.

The Pirelli's are good, but not as good as the Vredestines.... (This is on a 2wd Kia Cee'd Diesel)

Al.

I've heard they are good as well, though not tried them myself

I wouldn't run winters all year round. I put mine on about 3 weeks ago,the temps where still 10degs + and you cannot push the car into a corner. My winters are the same size as my summers (225/45/17) so I am comparing like with like. They are brilliant at clearing water on a wet motorway run though and the Temps are now down at zero or below on a daily basis, so really looking forward to reaping the rewards of the expense. I do about 2000kms a week.

I bought a set of 16" steel wheels and a set of Falken 439's. I put them on yesterday and have been shocked at how the car now drives. It seems to turn in better and ride through the corner better. There is a drumming noise from the front which I relate to having the steel wheels fitted but I am very impressed so far.

The car looks quite Ghetto with black steel rims though but I don't really care ;)