Running in?

I'm sure this has probably been covered elsewhere in the forum, but whats the accepted was of running in my new CR engine (Blackline to be precise!!).

I've covered just over 500 miles so far and have been fairly gentle with it. No more than 3000 - 3500 rpm and no more than 3/4 throttle. I've done a mixture of local driving and motorway.

I'm itching to start giving it a bit of teddy now, I'm sure I'm having to restrain the car itself as it's as keen as I am!!

Should I continue slowly building it up until I've covered the 1000 miles and just be patient? !! :giggle:

Wait until oil is up to normal operating temp then give it some redline its there to be driven mate, you need to bed those pistons in properly.

Driving it like miss daisy you would have been better getting a push bike.

• Like 3

Wait until oil is up to normal operating temp then give it some redline its there to be driven mate, you need to bed those pistons in properly.

This (especially the temp, bit!). Driving limply could actually cause excessive oil usage through the cars life due to rings not bedding in properly; or so I have read.

Agreed, I especially don't intend o driving it "limply" otherwise why would I have bought a vRS? Giving the CR engine plenty on a regular basis is recommended...

However, my question was about running in the engine!! I'm quite sure red lining it after just 500 miles is a stupid idea (and red lining a diesel is a stupid idea anyway).

Any sensible advice out there about running it in?

hi guys

i have now done 4k in my blackline runs really well average consumption is 48.5 on mainly aroads, first 750 miles never really went over 2500 revs then gradually increased revs , i cant really see a need to ever red line a diesel , in 6th gear which it will pull from 60 at 100mph it will be doing under 3000rpm

and i havent put a drop of oil in it and i am always checking that , great car

hi guys

i have now done 4k in my blackline runs really well average consumption is 48.5 on mainly aroads, first 750 miles never really went over 2500 revs then gradually increased revs , i cant really see a need to ever red line a diesel , in 6th gear which it will pull from 60 at 100mph it will be doing under 3000rpm

and i havent put a drop of oil in it and i am always checking that , great car

A sensible answer - and pretty much what I thought! Gradually build it up over the next 400-500 miles or so.

Anyone who redlines a diesel clearly doesn't know how to get the best out of it. I've a diesel car for the last 6 years and never needed to get anyhere near the redline as the torgue has completely dropped off way before you reach those sort of revs!!

Can't wait to start driving it "properly", I am massively impressed with the vRS Blackline so far.

My Yeti has now done just over 10,000 since January. For the first 1000 miles I kept the revs below 2000 which in 6th is not hanging around. So far not a drop of oil used and an overall average of 52.4 on the maxidot.

• Like 1

A sensible answer - and pretty much what I thought! Gradually build it up over the next 400-500 miles or so.

Anyone who redlines a diesel clearly doesn't know how to get the best out of it. I've a diesel car for the last 6 years and never needed to get anyhere near the redline as the torgue has completely dropped off way before you reach those sort of revs!!

Can't wait to start driving it "properly", I am massively impressed with the vRS Blackline so far.

We all know that redlining is pointless.

The point the others have made is that this beds the pistons in. You asked a question about running in, not normal driving and this is the best way. You should have done this from new....just as soon as the oil is warm. This is what i did on the 130 mile trip back from picking it up. Have used 0.5litres of oil in 34k.

Also this exact question was asked just yesterday and they also have a blackline so just some advice to use the search function ;)

• Like 2

Hi Brooksuk, Running in is covered in the owners manual so I can only recommend you follow the advice Skoda give on the subject (which you look like doing anyway and many have already said much the same thing, though personally I intend not giving mine the red line treatment until it's well past 1k, if at all). I've tried hard to run mine in according to the instructions i.e. no more than 3/4 revs and no full throttle and have just gone through the 600 mile barrier and intend building the revs and throttle up over the comming miles as they suggest and varying the thruttle and revs increasing both gradually is the best way to go IMO. As they designed and built the engine VAG I personally think I'd be silly not to follow their advice, although the little tinker is a little frisky so it's not as easy to do as with a lesser model. Hope this helps. Ade

• Like 1

For sure, redlining isn't required; even when mapped (see my map attached) - big difference between spirited driving of a diesel and trying to destroy it!

In fact, the HP drops off bang on the approach to the redline, probably by design...

VAG20TDiCR170ps.pdf

Edited by zacherynuk

The point the others have made is that this beds the pistons in. You asked a question about running in, not normal driving and this is the best way. You should have done this from new....just as soon as the oil is warm. This is what i did on the 130 mile trip back from picking it up. Have used 0.5litres of oil in 34k.

Also this exact question was asked just yesterday and they also have a blackline so just some advice to use the search function ;)

I'm glad someone took my interpretation of redline as not for real.

ive driven diesels for 10years in various forms Turbo and N/A

Once "ran in" you need to use a wide range of rev's and not potter about under 2k having an orgasm at the MPG

• Like 2

Nice friendly forum this one isn't it :think: I shall consider myself told off. I assume the person asking abour running in on yesterdays thread was also berated accordingly?

I think I'll follow the VAG guidelines in the manual as "littleade" suggests - after all, VAG did develop and build the engine, they probably have some idea on how it should run.

3/4 throttle as they recommend is probably enough to "bed in the pistons" as it does tear off down the road even without flooring it. Also, changing gear at no more than 3500 rpm keeps it nicely in the decent torque range for the engine.

Think I'll now have an orgasm at achieving a decent mpg :rock:

Interestingly, after Googling the subject, the overwhelming advice seems to be take the middle ground.

Pussy footing around is very bad - glad I haven't done that. Try to avoid excessive idling.

Thrashing the cr@p out of it is also very bad. This advice seems to have been taken out of context following advice on a motorbike forum.......

A nice balance of loading, up to 3000-35000rpm and lots of varying of rpm seems to be the best/most common advice.

Seems like I'm doing it right then, although one website did insist that this gradual "building up" of load and revs should extend beyond the 1000 miles and in gradual phases up to 5k.......Don't think I've quite got enought patience for that :giggle:

Try to avoid excessive idling.

This is interesting; as, like many people, I leave my car to warm up on very cold days - lights on, max AC etc on idle with doors locked (On private drive pointing away from road) - if you have a new car and have this habit best get the old mileage up before the winter sets in proper!

I have said on other posts on this subject before. I have been on Grimaldi line car carriers that deliver new cars to various ports around Europe, these boats were carrying 5000 new vehicles. Mercedes/VW/BMW we all on one trip that dropped/Picked up in the UK before continuing around the Med.

Now to the real point, EVERY car that came off the boat was redlined and ragged up the dockside by the port drivers. They treated them like hire cars, I even witnessed one driver doing donuts in a Merc SL !

Your car came with delivery mileage of under 10 miles, I can assure you that some of that was done on a COLD engine with NO mechanical sympathy ! So if any damage was going to be done to redlining a cold engine, it has already been done.

However enjoy 'pootling' around for a 1000miles, I drove my Vrs like my last car from the start and it uses no oil or performs any differently.

Interestingly, after Googling the subject, the overwhelming advice seems to be take the middle ground.

Pussy footing around is very bad - glad I haven't done that. Try to avoid excessive idling.

Thrashing the cr@p out of it is also very bad. This advice seems to have been taken out of context following advice on a motorbike forum.......

A nice balance of loading, up to 3000-35000rpm and lots of varying of rpm seems to be the best/most common advice.

Seems like I'm doing it right then, although one website did insist that this gradual "building up" of load and revs should extend beyond the 1000 miles and in gradual phases up to 5k.......Don't think I've quite got enought patience for that emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Wow. Have i got the wrong engine in my blackline? Mine only revs to 5000rpm. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

• Like 1

This post is getting out of hand!! Lets leave it to personal opinion I think. I'll follow the vag guidelines which still requires giving it some stick and those who want to thrash theirs from the start please do!!

I've also not used any oil in the first 600 miles so both arguments seem to stand!

Mines a tsi I've done just over 300 miles, I'm driving steadily (predominantly around the 2k mark) but accelerating fairly hard obce warmed up at certain times that require it (such as overtaking and pulling away - it is a vrs after all) I've used no oil so far.

Coolant has dropped a smidgen though, but put that down to where its settling and air is escaping

Likewise am around 300 miles, mostly 2-3k with the odd excursion up to 4k. No change in oil or coolant levels. Screenwasher a different story :), but then it is November and there's plenty of crud on the roads.

I try my best to be gentle to my engine whilst running it in but it is just so tempting to give it some beans. Mine didn't go above 2000rpm for the first 350 miles then I had a play off some roundabouts with another octy vRS. Now on 550 miles and it still hasn't been above 3500rpm.

This 'running in' business is soooo frustrating. I just want to strech its legs a bit. emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Nice friendly forum this one isn't it :think: I shall consider myself told off. I assume the person asking abour running in on yesterdays thread was also berated accordingly?

lol I am not surprised after the replies you gave below following people taking the time to offer their opinion/experience for your original question.

Agreed, I especially don't intend o driving it "limply" otherwise why would I have bought a vRS? Giving the CR engine plenty on a regular basis is recommended...

However, my question was about running in the engine!! I'm quite sure red lining it after just 500 miles is a stupid idea (and red lining a diesel is a stupid idea anyway).

Any sensible advice out there about running it in?