Stuff kids of today will probably miss out on

RainbowFire

10 B and H and a box of matches and change from a pound.

Portion of chips for 25p.

Caution - age detector...

20 B&H and a box of matches for 30 pence (Players No6 18p for 20)

Listening to my dad telling me how he could buy 5 Woodbines and 3 matches for 2d

portion of chips for sixpence - ie 6d or 2.5 pence (1 shilling for fish)

Listening to my dad complaining about the cost of fish and chips cos for 2 bob (=2 shiilings or 10 pence) he could have a night out, get fish and chips and still have enough for the tram home.

3 GALLONS of 4 star (probably called "Super" then) and change from a pound

pint of bitter for 10p

trip down the M1 to visit the Woodall motorway services as a special treat

2d half bus fare to school - if I walked the 1.5 miles I could keep the tuppence and buy 8 sports mixtures or 8 blackjacks

green and red Meccano

Lego bricks that were all rectangular - no stick 3 pieces together and you have a spaceship!

Watching Neil Armstrong step out onto the moon

Black and White TV with just 2 channels

Getting home from school and lighting the coal fire

Thick smogs in November where you couldn't see the other side of the street and you got black sooty tar out of your nose when you blew it.

Over the moon when my salary went over £1,000 - per YEAR!

Aahhhh Nostalgia..... ain't what it used to be :rofl:

Edited by eccleshill
  • Like 1

eccleshill #52 - At least sort of remember most of those: variations:-

1. Dad gave up smoking within 12 months of my birth.
  2. M8 to Harthill rather than M1
  3. Never got bus to school.
  4. Even with rectangular bricks, I still made Lego spacecraft!
  5. 3 channels, but that was partly because we were one of about 10 houses in town with a direct sightline to Blackhill rather than having to rely on Kames.
  6. My paternal grandparents were the only folk I knew who habitually used a coal fire.

You can still try to win these in some amusement arcades as well after spending about £5 to win 3 tickets and having to get about 200 for a pencil. :D

We have something like this in Aberdeen. My neice and nephew absolutely love it. Between me, the missus, my sister and the brother in law we must spend about £30 on tokens which we feed into various arcade type machines whereby the kids win tickets that they redeem for prizes. We basically end up paying £30 for a fivers worth of plastic guff.

Its still great fun though.

Those polystyrene aircraft you got on school trips and built & wrecked on the bus home

Kids went to birthday party the other week and got these in the "goodie bag" - we had great fun with them, trying to get them to fly straight for the longest distance!

Happy days.

A friend recently copied me every single episode of Battle of the planets

and Ulysses 31... Good times :)

Seeing it here was like a revelation! Where can you buy it?!?! Where? WHERE??

What I remember as the best times was leaving house after breakfast (summer hols), being up to no good all morning, coming back for lunch, quickly gobbling it all up and flying off again to come back after dark at the age of 10 - indeed how the h311 did we survive this?!?

Now I am glued to Battlefield 3, Supernatural re-runs, Fringe, complaining about my 10 year old spending as much time as he can get away with on his Vita and watching him through the window while he crosses our cul-de-sac to go to his friend on the other side of the road...

At least he swims and plays tennis at county level and we play football weekends in the park or in the garden.

Scalextric I bought for him (yeah, right) when he was 3 years old lol.

The penny tray in the sweet shop

threepenny lucky bags

Frozen Orange Jublees

Comics - Victor, Hotspur, TV21, Beezer, Topper, Hornet, Eagle, Dandy, Beano

Open back buses and the feeling of pride in the short time between finally plucking up the courage to jump off before the bus had stopped and the ringing in the ears from your mam's hand for being a "silly bu66er! what do you think you're doing - trying to kill yerself!?"

Chumping for bonfire night

Sneaking round the back of the newsagent's, over the wall and nicking a couple of empty pop bottles then taking them to another shop to get the 3d back!

Gang warfare with the kids from the next street where nobody got stabbed and we were all best mates afterwards.

Got to say that I really still miss pound notes.

I was gutted when they got rid of them.

Nothing like a thick stack of ones to make junior me feel

like a mack daddy lol.

• Like 1

Jamboree bags, watching Saturday morning TV when you could see program's like The Whirlybirds, The Banana Splits, the Lone Ranger, Champion The Wonder Horse, The Arabian Knights etc....

• Like 1