Std vrs, what should I do first to improve car

yamjam

Hi all,

Had the car now for a few weeks now and loving it.

What should I do first to improve the mk1 vrs? Budget apporx £250. I am ok with the spanners so can do work myself.

Thanks

I have brought a diagnostics tool for pc and fixed error code. New bosch Maf, throttle body clean and new temp sensor and thermostat. All ok at present so now time to upgrade.

I know there are loads of threads of what to to but not sure what order to do it in.

Bang for buck remap. It's up to you and depends how you drive. Rarb make a lot of difference and on my list of jobs. Upper front s3 strut brace is a nice cheap mod....just have to be brave enough to drill your car :-/

Driving lessons and I am not trying to be funny either. Obviously I don't mean learn how to drive again but perhaps track instructor sessions. Much more fun, legal and your car will be worth more when you come to sell it.

I would rather save the track for my bike. :-)

I only want to do a few light mods to help with handling namley understeer and remap. I like the look of the car so wont changing the wheels etc. I do like the standard look.

I don't hoon about to much and am no boy racer but I like a car to handle well and have power when needed

• Like 1

I would rather save the track for my bike. :-)

I only want to do a few light mods to help with handling namley understeer and remap. I like the look of the car so wont changing the wheels etc. I do like the standard look.

I don't hoon about to much and am no boy racer but I like a car to handle well and have power when needed

my car WAS supposed to be a sleeper. good luck keeping it look standard :) i clearly failed!

• Like 1

Lol it is tempting to lower, wheels etc but I didn't pay a lot for my car so dont really want to spend a fortune on it.

I am thinking of rarb first then map and poss stiffer springs???

Oil pick up pipe for peace of mind.

Then assuming the tyres are good I'd either go remap or exhaust then remap at a later time, I'd chuck on a performance panel filter too but that's debatable :p

There's plenty little things you could consider as well, up rated dogbone mount, aero wipers, better headlight bulbs etc

Get the engine running perfectly (thermostat, CTS, DV, PCV, boost pipes, vacuum pipes, breather system, new filters/fluids, plugs etc.) then slap a top quality map on it.

Then when a front spring snaps one day, put some good coilovers on it (but at near-standard ride height).

Done!

• Like 1

Mine was standard 18 months ago. My advice would be R32 FARB and Neuspeed 28 mm RARB. Then stage 1 map assuming there are no issues and car is running correctly. Then just keep her clean and enjoy. The afore mentioned will give you the most enjoyment for money spent.

Come and say hi.. i'm only round the corner. I'm not up and running until January so can't officially advertise (but i will in Jan') but see below for remaps and have a shufty round my car for ideas if you wish.

I think going off what you guys have said i will get rarb first, a whiteline 24mm then remap and who knows what next.

The car is running well, idles nicely, returns good MPG, 36 on a 8mile commute and has no hesitation on pick up.

I agree about stereo, fitted a new head unit but speakers are awful as standard. def need these upgrading.

In my mind they seem to be the ideal tuners car. there is lots that can be done to improve an already good car and doesn't cost the earth to do so.

Interested in shark remap, heard they are good. I'll look you up.

if you want a remap go to r-tech mate...the best in the country by far!! as said,wait to get hold of a second hand set of coilovers (weitec minimum!!). cheaper ones? you'll get what you pay for!! good tyres are a must,toyo T1R'S if you can get them anywhere (camskill)are very good. rollbars covered.polybushes (incl dogbone mount)eventually,as and when they fail. over time if you put £1000 into a vrs (on the right mods!) it will be 3-4 times the car it was imho!!

• Like 2

Tell me about the dog bone bush please.

Thanks for all comments, most helpful.

I still cant believe the MPG i'm getting, better than the GF's 320d M-SPORT Coupe. I once had a alfa 156 2.0 petrol and only ever managed 30mpg.

Stops the engine moving back and forth so much when on/off power.

Pros - wheelspin is reduced a little and when the wheels do spin it's less of a violent judder.

Cons - engine vibration is much more pronounced