Yeti for the old man?

littleade

Hello all,

I'm on my 2nd Octy and am gradually chipping away at my dad who's in his late 70's to get rid of his VW camper van and get something more affordable and practical as M&D no longer camp in it, and just use it as a 'normal car'. It's an autosleeper on a 57 plate with a TDI engine (think it's a 2.5L). I recon he'd be able to sell the van and still have change left after buying a Yeti as the vdub holds it's value well, which seems a no brainer to me but I suspect he's not keen to ' Come to the end of an eara' so I could do with some help. Mother likes the high riding position and has arthritus so acces in and out of the front passenger seat is important, though the camper is so high she can't get in by herself and the old chap has to help with a portable step they have and a push!

So for all those Yeti owners out there would you recommend it and why, if so what engine/spec is best for an old chap of his age and what if any FF options should he add. I'm thinking the 2.0L TDI as a starter, but that's just a hunch. Also what's the insurance like? the old chap pays a grand a year for his!

cheers

Ade

Hi Ade

We are in a similar position - I had a 140cr elegance 4x4 manual and last June we swapped it for a octy 140 DSG - big mistake my wife has the same problem as your mother and could not manage getting in and out of it.

So we went back to a Yeti after trying out all the other similar crossovers - I got a ex demo 170 diesel 4x4 with heated front screen and park assist =- I wanted the heated front screen and it is invaluable this weather so I would recommend one another option you should consider is the heated front seats - my wife would not be without them helps the arthritis no end this weather - the park assist is just a gimmick in my opinion - I would suggest the spare wheel option as another must after my experience last Sunday

http://www.briskoda....y-tyre-experts/

Tell them to consider the DSG option and the 4x4 is down to personal preference - I think a test drive will sell it to them - They will halve their insurance cost - double their MPG - and their driving enjoyment will increase ten fold

Regards

Mike

Edited by killy

My Mum has the 1.6 diesel Greenline and loves it.

It produces about the same power as the most basic 110bhp 2.0 diesel, but as standard you get smaller alloys for a smoother ride and the VED is only £30.

Average MPG is around 55 and Insurance is around £250, but that's partly due to the area.

SE is a good spec, but add lumbar support. Or if not watching the cost just go for the Elegance.

My Mum has the SE, but my cousin (who just retired) asked my advice and she went for the Elegance Greenline and raves about it.

If it has to be automatic then the 1.2 DSG is a cracker, my wife has one of these.

But don't expect much over 40mpg in general use.

Considering I run a 170 4x4 Yeti we've got a few versions in the family so know a bit about how they compare. :giggle:

As always, what mileage does he do and what does he use the car for. If low mileage and not towing, taking car full of people, then the 1.2tsi would be a good bet, specially with the DSG, which is a great gearbox.

The Yeti is great for getting in and out of, which is one of the reason 'older' people seem to like it so much. :giggle:

Not worth bothering with diesel unless you are doing over 20,000 miles a year. I can't justify a diesel as I only do 16,000 miles a year, but I wanted a 4x4 and they only do 1 automatic- the CR140 DSG. So i had no option. Roll on the 1.8tsi DSG that is available elsewhere in the world but not in the UK.

In theory I can't justify the black pump oil burner either but I prefer the power delivery of the 170 and less regular trips to the filling station. Given my 40 mile round trip commute to work + other stuff that relaxed ride does it for me. Residuals should be better too should you sell.

If the journeys will be on the short side petrol would get my vote every time, they warm up quicker and no chance of a clogged DPF. Note I have driven DPF oil burners for nearly 3 years and so far not a peep. A 2WD petrol with decent boots in this weather will be fine with all the advantages of the Yeti body.

Depends I feel on your dads type of driving and whether he prefers manual or auto; short trips and or low annual miles I would consider the 1.2TSI DSG; very nice smooth drive and more go than you would imagine. Diesel wise then my vote would be the 110 4x4 (prefer the 6 speed box over the 2wd 5 speed) or the GreenLine.

Best of luck with your deliberations,

TP

Hi chaps,

this is all brilliant stuff- thanks. To me it's a no brainer but as previous he's rather set in his ways I'm afraid. As far as engines are concerned he'd need something easy to drive and to be honest I don't think the extra cost of the deisel would make any difference and as he's been driving oilers for a number of years he may stick with them if only because they give him more mpg and the torque characteristics make them easier to drive for an old duffer! He's not the best driver so the 170 would be unsuitable as it's just got too much go. something that's good and torgey and well able to keep up with the traffic without having to cane it all the time would fit the bill, so guess either a larger petrol or deisel would be his choice though thanks for the heads up on the DPF as this may sway him towards petrol as they do mostly 'shopping or gardening centre runs', though I'll check if his van has a DPF on it as it's a VAG TDI, which might answer any DPFconcerns if he has it but never had any problems.

As far as the spec is concerned having a camper van anything from the SE up would be an improvement, though he's no technofile so the SE plus wouldn't fit the bill so guess it would be either SE or elegance. Probably things like all round visibility and ease of parking would be more important than blue tooth as he's geting on so is not the driver he was, very much a coat and hat driver- bless. As mum's disabled and struggles with her mobility they don't pay VED so that wouldn't be a factor, though I know she'd give up her blue badge if there was a cure available for her. Alternatiely a 4x4 could be an option as they live at the top of a hill and don't pay VED so the extra wouldn't matter.

The heated screen is a good idea even though he garages it they are out after dark now and again and anything that helps him see better in the dask would be a plus. Again from the good input the petrol seems more of a goer as they warm up quicker and the heated seats would as mentioned probably help ease the pain of mum's rhumatoid arthrystus. The options list is getting longer!

Keep the ideas coming please. Then I can show him and try and get him to the dealers!

All the best

Ade

If your Dad is mainly doing shortish runs then he would surely be better off with a petrol so avoiding potential pdf problems etc. In fact the 1.2 Tsi would seem to be ideal, plenty of poke at normal speeds and so much smoother and quieter than any diesel, get him to pair it with the DSG autobox and he will be set for life. If possible he should get the Elegance with park-assist (so much easier when you are older as avoids all that head and shoulder turning). I would add 16" wheels rather than the 17" to get a smoother ride but I don't want to start that hare running again. If he keeps the car in a garage then does he need the heated windscreen? Better to spend the money on some winter wheels/tyres.

Some people report being able to see the heating elements in the heated screen with a hint there may be a slight distraction.

Sounds to me a candidate for a 1.2dsg, not short of torque as it is blown. Elegance trim gives heated seats excellent for arthritis and my only caution against DSG is that if he has been driving manuals for years adapting to an auto can be a real worry. The gear change and clutch are both easy and light. I'd have thought it unlikely he would take to park assist but the parking sensors are very good and reliable -my neck is prone to stiffness and the rear distance display on the Bolero is a really reliable way of avoiding obstacles which are hard to see.

The electric seat option is said to provide the best variation for comfort, again something for those who are less flexible than they used to be.

Do older people actually find it easy to get in and out and the interior or seating position

over something like a Roomster.?

(which i also dislike & find a bit awkward to get in and out of)

Thats older, maybe a bit infirm,

not Middle aged active or young OAP's

How do the Older passengers you transport really like the Yeti for getting in and out of?

I have an artificial right leg and disliked the Yeti 4x4 because of knocking my left leg against the sill

getting in to the drivers seat,

& then the limited foot space due to the wide and intrusive sill.

Then exiting the car, banging my left leg on the sill again.

My active, 87 year old mother, who still drives, hated it.

That is as a front seat passenger, she did not even try the rear seat.

She is 5ft 2" or so and still active.

Disliked the Sill, width, seating position, & she needed the seat fully back to get the seat belt, or it needed handed to her.

george

Do older people actually find it easy to get in and out and the interior or seating position

over something like a Roomster.?

(which i also dislike & find a bit awkward to get in and out of)

My Mum is 5'7" and loves the height of the Yeti.

Since being coverted to Skoda she tried the Roomster and Fabia and found them too low.

Maybe the Yeti is better for her because she is not short?

She is still very active, but just prefers the higher driving position and the ease of getting in and out.

....and disliked the Yeti 4x4 because of knocking my left leg against the sill

getting in to the drivers seat,

& then the limited foot space due to the wide and intrusive sill.

Then exiting the car, banging my left leg on the sill again....

george

Don't buy a BMW then, as the Yeti has oodles of space compared to all the BMW's I've driven/been a passenger in.

For me, the Yeti has plenty of foot space and thought that the sill was quite low compared to most cars available today.

Sounds like you have very specific and unique requirements.

How about the original Range Rover which had no sill..... And you could hose out the interior when it got dirty :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My good lady is only just over 5 foot nothing :giggle: and although driving the Monster is a very rare occasion (didn't even drive the first one), she finds it a very easy car to drive and really appreciates the extra viability of the raised seating position.

Mind she still prefers her Fabia II due to it's narrowness, particularly for the almost off map lanes out here.

TP

My Mother (79 and 5 ft zero) was looking at a Polo. I took her to test drive a Yeti and she loved it - which was unexpected. Crucially she can get a comfortable driving position. In most cars she can't reach the pedals or has the wheel (with airbag) far too close to upper body. She also liked the height, easy access and styling/looks in white. She had come from a BMW 328i auto and we went for the 140 DSG.

Our ideal would have been a 1.8 petrol 4x4 with DSG but sadly doesn't exist. The diesel is a good strong engine and no issues with DPF so far.

She also likes the size and road presence. Sadly people in smaller cars do get "bullied" particularly by white van man. The Yeti is sufficient bulk and presence to avoid this without being enormous.

"Road presence". Same length as a golf, isn't perception a wonderful thing! When I take my daughter to netball I have several times been parked in an line with current Discoveries and the Yeti looks like a matchbox toy!

Same length as a golf,

Agreed, everybody I tell that it runs on a golf chassis is very surprised. I think its partly due to the bonnet which looks "big" for the car.

My 82 year old mother finds it quite easy to get in and out in both front a rear seats of the Yeti...and previous Cmax and Tiguan.

A few years ago I ran a series of Smart cars and my 85 year old Mother in Law found the cars to be very very easy to get in and out....and hardly any sill.

I still miss the Smart ...even its terrible auto gearbox

I've seen the outcome of a rear end shunt on a Smart..... I wouldn't want anyone I cared for driving one. You can drive with skill and safety in mind but if you get rear ended you may leave a grieving family.

I've seen the outcome of a rear end shunt on a Smart..... I wouldn't want anyone I cared for driving one. You can drive with skill and safety in mind but if you get rear ended you may leave a grieving family.

I know exactly what you mean. I was rear ended (ooh err missus) on my Suzuki 1250 bike a couple of years ago, it shook the cr@p out of me but luckily I was OK apart from bumps and bruises although my shoulder now has only 50% active movement. Bike was a write off. Nothing prepares you for a rear end shunt.

Especially if you are properly belted in and the structure of your "car" kills you. Bad luck with the Bandit smash-not such a coomon event on a bike as you have some options, not being at the back of stationary traffic being one.

Toyota iQ's which are a perfect car for space & easy access for a couple or the occasional 3,

has 9 airbags including the rear ones,

& the Scion in the US has 11 bags.

Pitty the few crashed/accident damaged repairable ones i checked out at breakers yards,

including a pretty seriously damaged one,

T Boned by a Sportage had none of the Airbags Deploy.

(so good in Deploying the Bags as required in certain types of crash, that they do not go off),

i had thought you would end up being cocooned in a protective selection of Airbags.

george

• Like 1

Especially if you are properly belted in and the structure of your "car" kills you. Bad luck with the Bandit smash-not such a coomon event on a bike as you have some options, not being at the back of stationary traffic being one.

I had a minor rear end shunt last time I was out teaching DAS back in 2003. Not taught since. I was on a school Honda dullville. The bike was not rideable. Luckily my students came back to find me :lol: they had quickly gone out of radio range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD