Steamy

Loz1012

My cars have the Scottish much cheapness version in & have had the same type of thing used for many winters.

It used to be Yogurt cartons with cling film covering the top.

Evolution tho.

' 250 g Margarine tub with Rock Salt from the roadside bins in,

lid held on with tape and some holes punched in the lid.

One in the boot & 1 behind the drivers seat.

Works fine at helping to reduce condensation in vehicles.

Even in dry vehicles that might just have wet feet leaving enough moisture to cause frozen inside windows.

george

& the £20 Greenhouse Heater for really cold nights.

Handy to have Wind Deflectors fitted for putting the Electric Extension in the window.

& the £20 Greenhouse Heater for really cold nights.

Handy to have Wind Deflectors fitted for putting the Electric Extension in the window.

Good idea, but I don't have an extension lead long enough to get me to work while this is running ;) lol

I do like the vRS heater,

and i never used the A/C this year in the warm weather, other than when i realised just how good it was at demisting when damp outside,

it used no extra fuel when just dottering along.

A/C is on all the time now in the cold & no freezing inside windows when parked up. (so no Greenhouse heater inside when parked up)

Never used the A/C set on auto tho,

george

Greenhouse heater in a car unattended....Seriously?!....would hate to be the one explaining that to the fire brigade and old bill in the middle of the night when it gives up the ghost and torches the car!

Obviously, anyone with a degree of sense or worry, will not do such a stupid thing.

People would never leave their Motorhomes plugged into the Mains in Winter & when preparing them for a trip.

Fridge, Battery Charging, heater on etc.

Had enough years now to go up, and failed to yet.

2 Kw but set at just above 0*C.

Each one uses about 1 kwh during a very cold night. I have 2 or 3 going in the coldest weather.

If we worried about Insurance when we used to put the old type Cylinder Greenhouse Types or Pariffin/Kerosene Ones under the Sump or Diesel tanks over night.

Or even when i was young and HGV drivers lit fires under the Fuel Tank,

we would not be where we are today.

All still alive & no burnt out motors.

(well not many.)

george

PS Not unattended really,

i leave a Dog in there so that if there is a Fire i will hear the screams.

In Land Rovers, it needs to be a big dog, or it escapes through the panel gaps.

• Like 1

I have no auto A/C, just two knobs and a button ;)

I am quite happy with demisting on vRS - works reasonably well and I do not have to peer through a slit near the dashboard for too long :D

A/C wont work at lower temperatures. This was certainly the case in older cars so i assume the same is applicable now. Your A/C light may well be lit on the dash but the compressor will not be running. Think it shuts down around 1 degree but someone else will know better. This means A/C is of no use whatsoever for clearing a frozen windscreen.

Demisting & Defrosting are different meanings.

(often tho once the frost is off the outside of the screen, the moisture is on the inside & wiping is still not dry enough)

But even when Defrosting or clearing a frozen windscreen

Once the coolant is raising in Temperature i switch on the A/C as it gives the desired effect quicker.

If it is not actually on A/C because of the low outside temperature, then it seems to work better than just

being on Hot & Screen.

george

A/C wont work at lower temperatures. This was certainly the case in older cars so i assume the same is applicable now. Your A/C light may well be lit on the dash but the compressor will not be running. Think it shuts down around 1 degree but someone else will know better. This means A/C is of no use whatsoever for clearing a frozen windscreen.

You may be right, however the compressor will turn on and will dehimidify the incoming air at (if what you say is true) temps higher than +1C - you can have the A/C on and have hot, dry air blowing in I believe. Would have to look into schematics of the system as I nver taken the whole thing apart :). Welcome to be corrected by anyone who did it ot have schematics/photos to hand.

• 3 years later...

I came accross this old thread while investigating steaming up. I had a Roomster for 6 years and it only steamed up on very rare occasions. I've had the Fabia Combi now for 4 months and it has steamed up most mornings until last week when the weather improved. It does have a slight leak on the driver's door seal which I'll have seen to on the next service, I think the door just needs adjusting. But it doesn't leak enough to get wet inside so I think Fabias are more prone to misting than some other cars.

Now that the daytime temperatures are getting higher it's not misting up so much. I think during the coldest weather you park with a nice warm interior then the temperature drops overnight and the moisture condenses out of the air.

Asda and other retailers have Moisture Absorbing Packs for £1. They work.

Then it is a case of getting your Interior to have as little H20 in it as possible, 

and Service your AC or Air Intake Heater System, change pollen filter & clean out the system as best you can.

Check the Spare Tyre well and make sure it is dry.