'09 vrs tdi CR 170 fuel filter change. Help!

Hi. I've been doing a fair bit of reading up and scouring 'how-to' videos on YouTube before I pluck up the courage to perform what seems to be a very simple job. There are still a few grey areas though:

Do I really need to disconnect pipes? What fuel additive/cleaner is best to use?

Have I got the right filter? (I see there are three types)

Is there an easy way to prime the system or will simply filling up the filter before replacing the lid be enough? And so on...

It's a touchy subject, I need to make sure I'm not going to wreck the car by overlooking something.

Thanks

If it is anything like the PD, the only way you can tell which filter you need is by removing it and having a look. Then keep the part number handy for next time. Or, have a look on any invoices for previous services.

I have never disconnected the pipes, just take the lid off carefully, and don't lever it off with a screwdriver as if you damage it you will need a new fuel filter housing, and possibly a Campbell as well if it leaks diesel all over the place.

When the new filter is in just top to Yeh brim with diesel and refit the lid.

Assuming the CR has an electric lift pump in the tank like the PD you don't even need to fill the filter housing up with diesel.

Just put it all back together with the filter full of air. Then click the key on (without starting the engine) to make the warning lights come on and the electric lift pump run for a second, then click off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times. Then just start the engine as normal, as long as you let the lift pump run a few times before starting it is completely self bleeding. When I've done this on my PD it starts perfectly first time with no extended cranking or any hint of a misfire etc at all. I've used the same trick on Pug HDi's and it works on those too.

• Like 1

Check, double check, triple check and then get the wife to take a look to make sure the gasket between the lid and the filter housing is secure and that you haven't loosened any of the feed or return pipes when you've held the lid out of the way.

Or this happens...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/258824-dead-vrs-pd170/

Cheers, Silver. That fills me with a world of confidence! Haha

There's no doubt I'll be checking everything a billion times, its the reason why I take forever to do anything! Ha

I need to be 100% sure the procedure is the same with the CR 170 as is with the PD.

Just found and uploaded Elsaweb onto my PC. Hopefully that'll dot the T's and cross the I's..! Thanks gents and/or ladies, I wasn't expecting much response to such a simple ask. I really appreciate it

Cheers. Yeah I found out a mate of mine had a trimmed down version on a disc and he let me copy it. It's exactly the same as the elsaweb site but you can go much much deeper. You can also tailor it to your specific model

Cheers. Yeah I found out a mate of mine had a trimmed down version on a disc and he let me copy it. It's exactly the same as the elsaweb site but you can go much much deeper. You can also tailor it to your specific model