30 sec auto lock disabling

Now 3 of my 4 doorswitches have gone south i am getting increasingly annoyed at my car locking itself at inopportune moments.

Does anyone know how to disable this feature as im gonna punch a random in anger if it does it much more.

Cheers ( I have vag com if thats needed)

here is a quote,might help

The locks work like this:-

When unlocked and no door is opened then it will autolock itself after a given time as it has not detected the car open.

WHen unlocked and you open say drivers door the car should not try to lock itself that for the other doors aswell. However if you have a knackered door lock module (by that I mean a knackered microswitch in the lock module) then when you open the door the CCM does not detect an open door hence tries to lock the car again.

Do any of your locks pop back up when you sit in the car and lock it from the switch on the drivers door? A VAGCOM scan will tell you the offending lock module.

• Like 1

Not really but thanks, i know which switches are gone and i know what its trying to do, and because of the nature of the job replacing them, im gonna ignore it, but need to disable the auto locking after 30 sec feature - so it stops trying to lock

:happy:

I don't think anyone has found a way to disable it in 10 years on here, the usual fix is to replace the door switch.

Dam, this is annoying, i believe its a time intensive job

Lofty, See my current thread on the same issue.

I have today discovered that if I use the key (not the remote) to open the drivers door (this is the only one on my car which is affected), then the door opens and does not self-lock. I still don't have the peripherals such as puddle light and 'door open' dashboard light but I am not worried about those.

I have now removed the battery from the remote fob so that the wife has no option but to use the key and therefore stop her locking herself out with the keys on the seat!

The use of the key might only work on my car because the micro-switch has only partially failed - i dunno, but it does?

I know I will haave to tackle the door at some point, but maybe I have bought a little time until the sun re-appears!

Cheers, Terry

Edited by scotsgent

I have now been using the key only (not remote) to open and close the door on my Octavia for a few days. I have reversed the battery position in the fob so that the remote can't work. It is clear that the auto-lock function appears to be disabled when using the key only and therefore I have had no occurances of self-locking of the door.

In my user manual, there is of course a section on locking and unlocking and using the key and remote (pages 6-12). In fact this section is really in two parts:

i) use of key

ii) use of remote

Only in the remote useage part does it mention the auto-locking function (ie 30 secs then auto-lock if car door has not been opened).

So based upon this and my own experience, it might seem that the auto-lock function is disabled if you use the key only to lock and unlock?

Maybe its just a function of my own particular door fault, but at face value, it looks like disabling the remote and just using the key might be the way to stop a faulty door micro-switch from locking you out.

Cheers, Terry

Edited by scotsgent

I am hoping on my next remapping, this feature can be turned off. I already have MAF and EGR totally deleted from my software, so I am hopeful the auto-lock can be as well.

Mine doesn't auto lock when you finish a journey. It will remain open until locked. I have left it open overnight by accident a couple of times, not that risk of someone trying to get in my car is very high with where it is parked overnight.

If your door switches work it'll auto lock 30 secs after last door closes once keys removed from ignition

Not correct, even if your door switches are working. If you leave the car and forget to lock it, it remains unlocked and will not lock itself. The only time it will lock itself, is if once its locked you press the unlock button and do not open a door.

The problem with yours is that it does not know that you have opened a door, so it thinks you accidentally pressed the button, so will lock itself despite you having opened a door.

Not correct, even if your door switches are working. If you leave the car and forget to lock it, it remains unlocked and will not lock itself. The only time it will lock itself, is if once its locked you press the unlock button and do not open a door.

The problem with yours is that it does not know that you have opened a door, so it thinks you accidentally pressed the button, so will lock itself despite you having opened a door.

I stand corrected :-)

I believe this to be accurate, The only time the door should self-lock is as you have described, eg.

You leave the house in the morning, the car is sitting locked in the driveway. You unlock the door with the remote and move towards the car. Your neighbour then shouts 'morning' and engages you in conversation. 30 seconds after you unlocked the car with the remote it then locks itself!

If you had opened the door during this period then the car would not have locked itself since it knew you were serious about using it!

Since you didn't open a door then it knows you can't have left the key on the seat, etc. because you have never opened a door and so can't have got in.

Its easy to test; lock the car, then unlock it using the remote. Wait 30 seconds outside without touching the car and it will lock itself.

Of course, if the micro-switch is faulty, then it can undergo a series of different auto-locking faults.

The most serious is that the car does not recognise that the door has actually been opened and self-locks in any event.

You could have opened the door, then hear the phone ringing in the house, you toss the keys onto the drivers seat and then shut the door in order to go back and take the call and immediately you move back towards the house the car locks!

(I believe that opening any door will stop the auto-lock (providing the micro-switch in the opening door is working),

My car exhibits this fault in the drivers door, but if I use the key and not the remote to open the car then it does not auto-lock at all ........ and I can live with that.

Cheers, Terry

Edited by scotsgent

• 2 years later...

Will these sort of problems with unwanted locking be a cause for an MOT test failure?

Probably depends if the tester gets deadlocked inside the car ;) Not sure to be honest, sure someone will know, or try a post in relevant section. It's worth considering that swapping lock mechs is not a hard job despite the fears mentioned above, all you need is basic tools, about half an hour and the right spline (XZN) bit

Edited by YellowCar

The auto lock after 30 seconds is a full on lockdown, so the deadlocks will activate and tester will not be able to exit so its a fail because all doors must be able to be opened from the inside whilst occupied.

Do not confuse the 30 second autolock with the anti-hijack lock as the latter simply locks the doors but does not enable the deadlocks. When in anti-hijack mode the car can still be opened from the inside by pulling the door open handle twice.

I have random locking issues (which i can live with at the moment, pretty sure the switch is dead) but also the key wont open the car manually at all, l im assuming its because the fob has always been used and the lock has  siezed, i dont want to force it and break the key as i only have one at the moment. lock out job or other.