Conversion from Climate control to standard heater controls?

Hi all,

Did a quick search but its late and I couldn't see any thread that contained an obvious answer.

Basically the climate control unit inside the cabin on my Octavia is going faulty slowly.

I've already given the sensor vents a clean etc and its probably an easy fix but I'm not really a fan of the unit tbh.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to swap the unit easily with what I'd call the more standard controls (nice clicky knobs etc) or is it a crazy job needing half the insides of the dash changing?

Cheers for any help guys.

Luke.

• 2 years later...

The usual problem is that a flap servo has failed, often the air recirculation flap.

The good news is the unit has built in diagnostics which you can easily access.

With the ignition on, press the  ECON and Recirculation buttons simultaneously for 2 seconds.(i.e. the extreme left and right buttons).

The unit will exercise all flaps and check sensors as well as checking the display. When finished it will show any error codes present on the display.

To scroll to the next error code, press the "Warmer“ button. When all codes have been displayed, "000“ is displayed.

If there are no errors present, "444“ is displayed as well.

To exit diagnostics, briefly press the ECON button.

Recirculation flap error is shown as 4FA.
If you have any other codes then post them on here for further help.

In my opinion it is easier to fix what you have got than trying to change to a basic unit. There are videos on the Golf Mk4 forums that show how to change flap servos.