Airbag connector wiring (under seat) ?

Following some of the advice on here I'm trying to sort my dodgy airbag light that has been on for 3 years now. I need it done before the MOT in 2 weeks, and I decided to do the hard wire trick, removing the yellow connectors under the seat.

I've done the one under the plastic flap, but not yet the one under the seat. The light hasn't cancelled but I believe this needs doing using VCDS which a mate can do. However, the steering wheel warning light which comes on red at start-up and quickly goes out has now turned orange and stays on.

Also, the wiring into and out of the connector was a little odd. Going in there was a brown, white and grey wire, but coming out it was brown, white and green. the really odd thing was that the in-white was connected to the out-green, and the in-grey was connected to the out-white, swapped over IYGWIM. Brown was as expected, brown to brown.

Also, the wipers have now stopped working. Checking the fuses to see if upsetting the battery has blown anything. These cars really know how to make DIY a PITA !!!!!!!!

Wipers now working again, no idea why they stopped ?!?!?! Re-flashing the ECU tomorrow to see whether I need to remove the seat to do the other connector.

Also managed to sort the knocking rear ARB bushes out. Replaced the Neuspeed bush and bracket with some Prosport ones off eBay for 1/3 the price Neuspeed wanted ? Of course, another bolt had to snap whilst removing. WTF do VW build things out of, I've got sturdier coffee cups !!!!!!!

An Airbag light is not currently a MOT failure. The wipers won't work if the bonnet is open or the car senses that the bonnet is open. The orange steering wheel light is for the angle sensor, it will come on if the battery has been disconnected and will go out once the car is driven.

• 2 weeks later...

An Airbag light is not currently a MOT failure.

Not according to three different MOT garages spoken to in the last 13 months, and everyone else I've discussed this with on the net.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

The steering light and wipers did indeed reset and now work, and removing the yellow connector and soldering the wires together for the airbag worked after a VCDS reset. The car still failed its MOT on the console bush, requiring a new wishbone. Thankfully I purchased the dealers servicing/MOT/insurance deal so I had nothing to pay.

100% track record for VW brand cars for me though. VW Corrado, 13 MOT's in 13 years, 13 fails. Octavia, 3 MOT's in 5 years, 3 fails. Fabia, 3 MOT's in 5 years, 3 fails. Trust in the brand, failed !

Not according to three different MOT garages spoken to in the last 13 months, and everyone else I've discussed this with on the net.

My vrs had the light on when it had its last MOT and it was an advisory. Im getting it fixed under warranty but thats just because I want it working properly

100% track record for VW brand cars for me though. VW Corrado, 13 MOT's in 13 years, 13 fails. Octavia, 3 MOT's in 5 years, 3 fails. Fabia, 3 MOT's in 5 years, 3 fails. Trust in the brand, failed !

Surely 19 fails says more about your car maintenance then the VAG brand?

My vrs had the light on when it had its last MOT and it was an advisory. Im getting it fixed under warranty but thats just because I want it working properly

My last car passed its MOT about 3 months ago with the airbag light on without even a mention of it, but I'm sure the rules have changed now. It has to come on and then go out light it's supposed to.

It was the under-seat connector causing my light to come on.

Never had an MOT failure yet in any VW group car, Octavia MK1 2 MOT's, Octavia MK2 2 MOTs, Skoda Superb MK2 1 MOT , Audi A8 176,000 miles, 11 years old with 1 MOT so far with me and a flying colours pass in April last year. Maintenance is key, fix things when they happen rather than wait till before the MOT, or 2 years in the case of your airbag light. Things that are left get worse an usually lead to a more expensive repair.

http://www.theaa.com...anges-2012.html

The steering light and wipers did indeed reset and now work, and removing the yellow connector and soldering the wires together for the airbag worked after a VCDS reset. The car still failed its MOT on the console bush, requiring a new wishbone. Thankfully I purchased the dealers servicing/MOT/insurance deal so I had nothing to pay.

They're wrong, I'll draw your attention to the latest special notice:

http://www.dft.gov.u...Notice 5-12.pdf

The legislation isn't yet in place to implement these new fail items.

Though on that link the AA do say:

Advisory period continues

The legal process for changing regulations is taking longer than expected and VOSA keeps extending the ‘bedding in’ period for the new test items as a result.

VOSA has now confirmed that the advisory period for the new test items will remain in place at least until the end of 2012.

The latest version of the MOT inspection manual shows the new reasons for failure (currently advisory) highlighted

(2 October 2012)