Windscreen Clearence & Air

spank_inferno

Where we are (in south east Ireland) we rarely have to de-mist or de-ice in the morning.

Alas not so this morning.

It was only today that i noticed that the force of air coming from the dash vents (next to windscreen)

is very poor on the drivers side vs the passenger side.

There was a noticable 2-3 times difference in the force of air coming out.

We also noticed (as it was cold) that there is practically no heat coming from the drivers footwell.

Whereas its plenty warm on the passenger side.

I can live with the footwell heating situation as I rarely use it.

However it took over 5 mins to clear condensation fully from the driver side, which is annoying.

Does anyone know if this is by design or is there a problem, ie: all vents should clear the screen at the same rate.

Many thanks gents.

I think this will depend which type of heating/AC system is fitted. Your models in Ireland differ from UK ones so what settings you select and whether Climatronic or not will need to be answered.

Fred

• Like 1

I've noticed this on both my Yetis.

Also on previous BMW and Mercs I've owned in the past.

I always put it down to the fact that they are designed as primarily LHD vehicles and the heating and demisting is aimed towards the left side of the car.

I agree with Ian. One of the "problems" of buying a car built in Europe for generally LHD markets.

I seem to remember EU Freelander owners complaining about something similar.

This morning was the worst I've had for condensation *in* the Yeti. Even with the max demist setting and heated screen it took an age to clear (with the help of a chammy). I blame my daughter taking ages to get ready and the tailgate being open letting in all the fog. :wall: I haven't noticed the difference in oomph - will check later.

This morning was the worst I've had for condensation *in* the Yeti. Even with the max demist setting and heated screen it took an age to clear (with the help of a chammy). I blame my daughter taking ages to get ready and the tailgate being open letting in all the fog. :wall: I haven't noticed the difference in oomph - will check later.

I don't live far from you and had the exact same issue this morning! I began to think I'd left a door open overnight :think:

Must be something in the air :rofl:

I have the dual zone Climate A/C and do find that I have to change from Auto to partial windscreen ( 2nd button from left) to keep the windscreen demisted quite often even when its not raining or particularly cold.

In Auto there seems very little air coming out of the windscreen vents - is this normal ?

My old Mk4 Golf with climate never needed any manual intervention once warmed up.

:thumbup: +1

Though i have to say that cleaning of the inside of the windscreen reasonably frequently does significantly reduce the likelihood of it misting up.

• Like 2

I have the dual zone Climate A/C and do find that I have to change from Auto to partial windscreen ( 2nd button from left) to keep the windscreen demisted quite often even when its not raining or particularly cold.

+1. Thought it was just me. Now I am going to try partially closing the centre fascia vents to see if that improves things.

+1. Thought it was just me. Now I am going to try partially closing the centre fascia vents to see if that improves things.

It doesn't - I have a similar problem. If anyone does come up with a reasonable solution, I'll be happy!

It doesn't - I have a similar problem. If anyone does come up with a reasonable solution, I'll be happy!

I have dual zone climate control and leave everything on auto including the air con. Note that the auto button has two modes - quiet and aggressive. I leave mine on aggressive and it really is not noisy at all, but is more noticeable when the fan speeds up a bit as required.

I very rarely have an issue with internal condensation but if I do I just switch on the front screen heater and that clears it up.

No solution to this yet?

Inside of screen took ages to clear this morning and I had to wipe the screen twice to speed things along with the windscreen demist function as good as useless. Our VW Golf clears its screen in seconds why doesn't the Yeti?

No solution to this yet?

Inside of screen took ages to clear this morning and I had to wipe the screen twice to speed things along with the windscreen demist function as good as useless. Our VW Golf clears its screen in seconds why doesn't the Yeti?

Have you got a water leak somewhere? Check carpets in the foot-wells, You shouldn't be getting that amount of condensation unless there's something wet inside the car that's retaining extra moisture that initially evaporates & then condenses again on the coldest place - the windscreen.

May be a stratnge on but as the Yeti is basically the same as the Octavia it might be worth checking that the heater control flaps haven't stuck or gone out of calibration.

I had a similar problem this weekend with very little heat in the car and very little volume of air coming out of any of the outlets, regardless of buttons pressed etc. I have dual zone climate and on my car it can be forced to 'recalibrate' the heater control flaps by pressing the Econ and bottom left of the four 'manual' buttons (footwell?) with the ignition on but engine not running.

I did this once and it cleared for part of the remainder of the journey but it then 'jammed' again causing the car to steam up. I've since done it a few more times and it 'seems' to have fixed it (for how long I'm not sure).

However it did make a significant difference to how much air was coming out...

Have you got a water leak somewhere? Check carpets in the foot-wells, You shouldn't be getting that amount of condensation unless there's something wet inside the car that's retaining extra moisture that initially evaporates & then condenses again on the coldest place - the windscreen.

Checked for this but the car is dry.

I should clarify, its not condensation as such more just misting up, happens when I get into the car probably with me breathing it causes the windscreen to mist, there is no misting/condensation before I get in.

I will try tomorrow without any heater on as Its possibly the sudden change in tempreture, going from freezing glass to blowing warmer air over it causing it to mist then the really poor demist function taking forever to clear.

My wife had a similar issue in a Vauxhall we used to own - that turned out to be a blocked pollen filter - leading to poor air flow.

Also... is it possible the air flow is stuck on recirculation? - this would mean that fresh air is not pushing out the moist air and the moist air is just building up.

As I don't have the same issues I cannot think of anything else right now.

My wife had a similar issue in a Vauxhall we used to own - that turned out to be a blocked pollen filter - leading to poor air flow.

Also... is it possible the air flow is stuck on recirculation? - this would mean that fresh air is not pushing out the moist air and the moist air is just building up.

As I don't have the same issues I cannot think of anything else right now.

Pollen filter, I can't rule out but after 10k miles?

Its not stuck on re circulation as when I do use that function I can hear the change over and eventually the windows will mist.

To be clear, I don't have s problem with the misting, I can put this down to change in temperature, its the clearing of the mist thats the problem, really ineffective and slow. When I switch on the wind screen demist it automatically goes to about no4 on the blower iirc and I bump it up to the max setting but still hopeless.

Demist and deice.

I just press a button and hey ho, within a jiffy all is clear.

:lol:

That's one of the reasons why I specified the heated windscreen button.

These diesels take ages to warm up in this weather. Thank goodness for the heated seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear, I don't have s problem with the misting, I can put this down to change in temperature, its the clearing of the mist thats the problem, really ineffective and slow. When I switch on the wind screen demist it automatically goes to about no4 on the blower iirc and I bump it up to the max setting but still hopeless.

Is it doing this first time you use the car after it has been standing for some time, and the last time you used it you had the Air Con on? If so, it's quite common (not just Yetis) & may take time to clear until heat comes through the vents.

It may help to clear the windscreen quicker if you put the distribution control on screen only, recirculating (until you get heat through), and max heat (red dot). That way, the car is heating slightly warmer air from inside the car rather than the freezing cold stuff from outside.

It may be no better, but worth a try. It's starting to sound as though a distribution flap might be stuck. Can you actually feel any air coming out of the screen vents when you select screen boost, max speed?

Is it doing this first time you use the car after it has been standing for some time, and the last time you used it you had the Air Con on? If so, it's quite common (not just Yetis) & may take time to clear until heat comes through the vents.

It may help to clear the windscreen quicker if you put the distribution control on screen only, recirculating (until you get heat through), and max heat (red dot). That way, the car is heating slightly warmer air from inside the car rather than the freezing cold stuff from outside.

It may be no better, but worth a try. It's starting to sound as though a distribution flap might be stuck. Can you actually feel any air coming out of the screen vents when you select screen boost, max speed?

I run with the air con on all the time, which I believe won't help.

The misting only occurs after an overnight park. I do put the control to screen demist only although not re- circulate, I'll give this a go tomorrow.

I can feel the air blowing out the vents and also see it on the misting so I don't think its the flaps.

Edited by servicepoint

Not having a garage Dewi lives outside and I have noticed that the screen does slightly "fog" sometimes first thing in the morning. I note this is worst when the screen is dirty, so give it a good clean, with newspaper and a glass cleaner. Otherwise I just press the MAX Screen button (far left) which boosts the fan, turns on the air con (even below 5!!) and directs all the air to the screen.

Why not? If you have been driving in areas of high dust, pollen, or even poor air quality then the filter will become blocked.

These diesels take ages to warm up in this weather.

Do they? Even when the temperature was well below zero recently mine was blowing warm air from thevents after 5 miles, and was up to full temp after 12. Might not be as quick as a petrol, but I can't find a problem with the time it takes.

ADD.

Using recirculate actually can increase water vapour in the car, so if you do use this setting turn it off before you turn the car off.

Why do you run with the air con on all the time. At this time of year it won't work, except as I stated above?

Not having a garage Dewi lives outside and I have noticed that the screen does slightly "fog" sometimes first thing in the morning. I note this is worst when the screen is dirty, so give it a good clean, with newspaper and a glass cleaner. Otherwise I just press the MAX Screen button (far left) which boosts the fan, turns on the air con (even below 5!!) and directs all the air to the screen.

Why not? If you have been driving in areas of high dust, pollen, or even poor air quality then the filter will become blocked.

These diesels take ages to warm up in this weather.

Do they? Even when the temperature was well below zero recently mine was blowing warm air from thevents after 5 miles, and was up to full temp after 12. Might not be as quick as a petrol, but I can't find a problem with the time it takes.

ADD.

Using recirculate actually can increase water vapour in the car, so if you do use this setting turn it off before you turn the car off.

Why do you run with the air con on all the time. At this time of year it won't work, except as I stated above?

The car heats up quite quickly, helped by not having a cast iron block, so no issue there.

My screen is pretty clean, not perfect but recently cleaned with Megs stuff and I don't usually use the re circulate mode.

As for the air con all the time, "at this time of the year it won't work"... can you explain?

Pollen filter, where can I find it and I'll check and replace?