Retro gaming, anyone here into it?

MattyD

I'm fairly into retro gaming, I've got the usual Xbox 360, ps3 and a 3ds but I'm also a fan of retro gaming. I've got a game gear, a ps2 and recently swmbo bought me a sega Saturn, it's ace! I do have a sega soft spot really, oh I've a mega drive too. I got a dreamcast when they came out and that's been my favourite console, love the game Shenmue if anyone has played that??

That's not retro. LOL first, I had a black and white Grandstand sports games machine

with ping pong and a lightgun on a wire.

Then my first colour console was a mattel intellivision. (I wanted an Atari really)

And my first PC was an Amstrad CPC464, the games were on audio tapes

and took forever to load.

Wish I still had them now. The current machines do amaze me when I

remember what I started playing.

Get a BBC Model B and experience the best game ever (as we speak it's being updated and soon to be released once more unto the masses)

Elite

• Like 2

I have a loft full of consoles and computers going back to my Dragon 32, plus a MAME cab in the garage.

I've sold off a few systems recently as they just don't get used, but some are keepers for life - a mint boxed Atari woody and games for example, or a C64 signed by Jeff Minter.

Someone offered me a ZX spectrum in perfect working order for £20 just thinking it was a piece of old junk. Sadly I didt have £20 and my parents wouldn't loan me it at the time. The spectrum is now residing in landfill somewhere. I would have loved to have that thing.

Other than that. I have "only" had: 2 PlayStations, playstation 2, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, 2 gamecubes, Wii, gameboy advance SP, PSP.

Quite a bit, now I don't touch consoles. PC gaming is far far better.

All this retro stuff is before my time.

I'm fairly into retro gaming, I've got the usual Xbox 360, ps3 and a 3ds but I'm also a fan of retro gaming. I've got a game gear, a ps2 and recently swmbo bought me a sega Saturn, it's ace! I do have a sega soft spot really, oh I've a mega drive too. I got a dreamcast when they came out and that's been my favourite console, love the game Shenmue if anyone has played that??

I have a PS1 and a load of games that I am selling...

Would love to have another go on a ZX Spectrum, if only for a couple of minutes :giggle:

I had both the tape deck and floppy disc version, proper retro gaming but would have a very short lifespan if I owned one again due to the ability of modern system.

I mean 40 minutes to load a taped game, I would end up throwing out of the window!

Get a BBC Model B and experience the best game ever (as we speak it's being updated and soon to be released once more unto the masses)

Elite

+1 for Elite.

Unfortunately the Thargoids got into my BBC B when I was hyperspacing and it never recovered. :sweat:

I have a ZX81 and a Spectrum in storage. I don't really use them anymore, but keep them for the fond memories. Might have the Amiga 500 in there too. Found a Game Gear recently too, but it's a bit busted from poor storage unfortunately.

I still have my Acorn Electron at home (poor mans BBC B), although I did have 64K of RAM, 3.5incgh floppy drive with support for DFS & ADFS, Sloggers ROMbox+

It was amazing to think what that machine did.....

Plenty of speccy emulators around and abandonware games.

But you do find a lot of those games seem pretty crap now.

• Like 1

Bill gates - No one will ever need more than 640k of memory (he didn't actually ever say that but he'll never escape it anyway).

Edited by Aspman

Nope, I have very fond memories of growing up gaming and don't want to ruin them by going back and finding out all the old games are tosh(because lets face it, compared to modern games, the majority are). :)

This is my take too :D

Chris

Some bloke from IBM - The world will probably only need about 5 computers

That some bloke is Thomas J Watson Sr (quite important in the company's history ;)), although as with all these things, there seems to be some doubt as to whether he ever said it. :D

Chris

• Like 1

Currently owned and used:

Atari 2600 Woody, NES, Mastersystem, SNES, Megadrive, Gamegear, Gameboy, Xbox 360, PS3, Onlive

Wanted (but SWMBO has said no more for a while!):

PC Engine, Dreamcast, NeoGeo

Had ZX81, Spectrum 128k, Commodore 64, Amiga 600, Playstation, Playstation 2, Wii and XBox 360.

Also played on Grandstand or whatever it was called with Pong, etc.

I've still got the 128k and Amiga back home. XBox 360 is with me but tempted to bring the Amiga down to play F1. :)