Need some RAM for an old Desktop PC

'daiking'

This machine is working much better now, iTunes runs ok rather than making you think its crashed every minute because nothing is happening.

You won't believe how long it takes to convert HD .mkv files to standard iPad friendly mp4 on a machine of this age.

As long as it's DDR2 - from what I've found out it don't matter on the speed . I was running DDR2 2700 on my last PC, BUT 2700 was expensive ,til i tried 3200, then higher. I'tt all run at slowest speed ,or if it's all higherr will match the FSB of your PC .

As long as it's DDR2 - from what I've found out it don't matter on the speed . I was running DDR2 2700 on my last PC, BUT 2700 was expensive ,til i tried 3200, then higher. I'tt all run at slowest speed ,or if it's all higherr will match the FSB of your PC .

No point looking for really old RAM though, pretty sure that 4200 was the OEM type. For some reason I thought that it was previously running on a single 1gb but it turned out to be 2x512mb. Next time I have to open it up I'll slot them back too.

Next month I'll have enough cash put away to buy a new computer but I think I'll keep this one for another year - 8 years old and counting.

Edited by 'daiking'

Sorry, only just spotted this. I have two sticks of 2GB DDR2 800MHz ram. Team Elite CL=5-5-5-15, both have the same pt.no.

TEDD2048M800HCS. They came from my son's recently deceased gaming machine. Send me a stamped addressed envelope and you can have them FOC.

• 1 year later...

I've finally...

Replaced the CMOS battery in this machine been due about 3 years, and lo and behold it will also take my previous 1gb of ram as well (it wouldn't before) so I'm now up to the giddy heights of 3gb of RAM which is plenty for a machine running XP (limit for 32 bit?)

Still haven't upgraded to an ssd either but I can't believe this machine is 9 years old.

Nothing that new ,if there's any computer fairs nearby ,try them . At one I got faster ram for one of my old ones. It didn't speed things up as all the ram ran at the slowest speed. There's a computer online shop in Manchester, who do specials, but I'm having a senior moment  ,and my Internet's playing funnies.

ETA -Aria Technology Ltd.
Aria House
Belle Vue Avenue
Pottery Lane
Manchester
M12 4AS

wOOPS --just spotted Trev's post.

Edited by VWD

Nothing that new ,if there's any computer fairs nearby ,try them . At one I got faster ram for one of my old ones. It didn't speed things up as all the ram ran at the slowest speed. There's a computer online shop in Manchester, who do specials, but I'm having a senior moment ,and my Internet's playing funnies.

ETA -Aria Technology Ltd.

Aria House

Belle Vue Avenue

Pottery Lane

Manchester

M12 4AS

wOOPS --just spotted Trev's post.

Cheers, Wardy sorted me out last year and I've decided not to buy a new machine until it properly dies.

I've also just resurrected a 7 year old multi-function printer.

Edited by 'daiking'