Snow Has Arrived...

Tristar 1011

Drove on snow today for the first time on winters. What a revelation! You wouldn't expect them to be as good on snow as summers are on a wet road, but they are at least 70% as good. I'm totally sold on them.

• Like 3

Drove on snow today for the first time on winters. What a revelation! You wouldn't expect them to be as good on snow as summers are on a wet road, but they are at least 70% as good. I'm totally sold on them.

Wish I had better tyres John. These summer tyres are terrible - negates all the Yeti electronic trickery.

My little old SJ beats the Yeti hands down in these conditions - but only in these conditions down here :giggle:

Wish I had better tyres John. These summer tyres are terrible - negates all the Yeti electronic trickery.

My little old SJ beats the Yeti hands down in these conditions - but only in these conditions down here :giggle:

Yes, but I suspect if the two cars were both on similar summer tyres then they would be very similar on snow - the Yeti might even be better.

My Yeti has Pirelli P Zero Rossos, which I would go as far as saying are dangerous on snow and a car so fitted deserves a warning label. People who have the standard fit Dunlops seem much happier with their performance in such conditions, though I suspect that the Pirellis are more competent at speed on dry (summer) roads.

John H

The gas bottles are real. At the moment our only form of heating is the woodburner which powers the central heating. Pain in the arse lugging wood in every cold morning, so we're putting an LPG boiler in. Couldn't be bothered digging a trench in the garden for a pipe to one of those big tanks, so we're going with the cylinders. I'm going to box them in eventually, to make it look tidier. Keeping the woodburner for cosy evenings, just don't want to have to rely on it all the time.

• Like 1

The gas bottles are real. At the moment our only form of heating is the woodburner which powers the central heating. Pain in the arse lugging wood in every cold morning, so we're putting an LPG boiler in. Couldn't be bothered digging a trench in the garden for a pipe to one of those big tanks, so we're going with the cylinders. I'm going to box them in eventually, to make it look tidier. Keeping the woodburner for cosy evenings, just don't want to have to rely on it all the time.

I know the feeling my wood burner is going 24/7, not only have to get the logs in but cut them and split them.(we have oil here but at 80p a litre try to burn to much)

Whatch the temp though Bob have known the gas bottles to freeze at around -6or7

Outside earlier today:

18012013457_zps714a2181.jpg

I am following the advice of the Police and haven't driven at all.

Looking at the snow not walked far ether :rofl:

• Like 1

Do yetis walk on four legs to get better traction in the snow, think I have one in my garden

post-52230-0-57776200-1358527460_thumb.jpg

:rofl:

Here is mine, but obviously her 4xP traction control has failed. I shall have to get the Yeti out to rescue her!

post-73315-0-07311000-1358532852_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Annoying. I usually stay signed in but when this happened to me last autumn, a 'sign out/sign in' cured it. Good luck... :peek:

Hi brijo, Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it did not work and I have been "locked out" for over a day! For some reason when I try to login manually it never accepts my password. After requesting new passwords (lots of) and a change of user name I have somehow managed to sign in. I now have the email address of the Administrators. Up until then it kept saying sign in to change your password - which I could not do!

Oh and the fonts and emotions etc are still greyed out!

Peter

Seriously guys I don't know what all the fuss is about - it's 1830hrs, Friday 18th of January, down to half a degree and not a glimpse of a snowflake here in St Bees, Cumbria!

I think the rest of you are just sending in photo shopped pictures and the news reports are just Government conspiracies!!

• Like 2

Yes, but I suspect if the two cars were both on similar summer tyres then they would be very similar on snow - the Yeti might even be better.

My Yeti has Pirelli P Zero Rossos, which I would go as far as saying are dangerous on snow and a car so fitted deserves a warning label. People who have the standard fit Dunlops seem much happier with their performance in such conditions, though I suspect that the Pirellis are more competent at speed on dry (summer) roads.

John H

+1 re: the Pirellis - seemed OK in a straightish line on snow but easy to lose all grip at the front on a right angle turn :-(

• Like 1

Well if Graham can publish pictures of his new abode, so can I. And one of Betty for good measure.

That's a nice looking abode Bob, is that Mrs Bobdog scratching her neck?

I most definitely don't want to start a war but I'm struggling to understand the problem with Pirelli P Zero Rossi's (which are fitted to my Yeti). I had to go out this morning in the snow and driving at sensible speeds for the conditions had no problems. Plenty of ABS brake "chatter", but that was just the system doing its job. just commenting on my experience.

I most definitely don't want to start a war but I'm struggling to understand the problem with Pirelli P Zero Rossi's (which are fitted to my Yeti). I had to go out this morning in the snow and driving at sensible speeds for the conditions had no problems. Plenty of ABS brake "chatter", but that was just the system doing its job. just commenting on my experience.

I'm not having a problem with my Pirelli P Zero Rossi tyres either - They are tucked up in the garage loft in cardboard boxes to keep warm till next spring!

We are however snowed in with snow drifts of 4'-6' deep - so even with full winter tyres we won't be going anywhere soooooon!

We have 3 wood burners (two are going 24/7) that's a lot of firewood! An oil fired AGA, and very expensive electric storage heaters (minimum number on!). At least it is windy and the wind turbine is helping out with up to 6kW's of free electricity...

• Like 1