Factory Fit Towbar Option

P10ant

I am new to Briskoda, but I recently discovered that Skoda have introduced the option for a detachable towbar option for £400.

The skoda uk website now lists this on the equipment page and the car configurator tool, but the brochure has not been updated yet. The configurator disables the towbar preperation if this option selected. Much better alternative that arranging after delivery.

I have a yeti on order with towbar prep but I just arranged with the dealer to swap the towbar preparation option for the replaceable factory fit option. Just got to wait a few months now for delivery :-(

Hope this helps.

I opted for factory fit tow bar, however I suspect the tow bar was supplied by the dealer and fitted by a local tow bar fitter as the split charge circuit is a bit heath robinson and the plastic trim hasn't been put back properly inside the boot lip and along the drivers side of the car.

And all for £895. BUT I have to say the Westfalia detachable tow bar is really good.

Costs less to fit at time of build, no removal and cutting of rear bumper. All coding would be done at the same time as coding for the rest of the electrics

Costs less to fit at time of build, no removal and cutting of rear bumper. All coding would be done at the same time as coding for the rest of the electrics

Agree, I definitely would have gone for this option if it had been available. Next time? Probably.

Fred

Sounds about right. I had a VW Multivan a few years back ,and specced the detachable Westfalia towbar factory option, and can confirm that it was supplied by factory not dealer, and came with 13 pin euro socket and split charging as standard.

I opted for factory fit tow bar, however I suspect the tow bar was supplied by the dealer and fitted by a local tow bar fitter as the split charge circuit is a bit heath robinson and the plastic trim hasn't been put back properly inside the boot lip and along the drivers side of the car.

And all for £895. BUT I have to say the Westfalia detachable tow bar is really good.

Ooh thats stings!

My westfalia was £580 on my last yeti all in with VW/Audi cable, 13pin electrics and coding, that was from Chester tow bars.

Sounds like your dealer made a few hundred on that extra.

I'm fairly new to this forum & can't believe the complete lack of common sense by SUK. I have just ordered a Greenline with factory option of towbar preperation but I cannot have a factory fitted towbar!!!. What do SUK think I am going to do with the towbar preparation they have installed into the vehicle? :wall:

With the Greenline there are several items / combinations of items that you can't order with the car as the increase in weight would affect the theoretic emission levels. Items such as sunroofs, spare wheels etc cause problems when ordering that model of Yeti, it sounds like the towbar is another

IF and I say IF it has the necessary wiring for fridge, battery charging and Alko ATC I would certainly go this route ... however like the detachable bracket on my current Yeti it would never be detached!

One does wonder whether SUK have done their sums right.

On the one hand Factory-fit Towbar Preparation costs £180 on the SUK configurator as against €165 Euros on the Skoda Germany configurator, and on the other a Factory-fit Detachable Towbar with Euro/7Pin adapter costs £400 in the UK as against €650 Euros on the Skoda Germany website.

To me, something doesn't add up - maybe with SUK, that's hardly surprising! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

People are comparing prices directly. Unfortunately in the world of motor vehicles I don't think that works. Each country will charge what they think they can get away with. SUK knew in advance that the Yeti was going to make a good tow car because the "caravan" press had already seen it in Europe and had said so. Therefore SUK knew that they could "up" their prices for the towing additions. They are not the only company to do it, by any means.

The option for any buyer is to get the tow bar prep fitted on production, then to get an independent to fit the tow bar, and either get them to reprogramme it or pay the dealer to do it. as long as the indi is fitting an approved article there shouldn't be a problem.

People are comparing prices directly. Unfortunately in the world of motor vehicles I don't think that works. Each country will charge what they think they can get away with. SUK knew in advance that the Yeti was going to make a good tow car because the "caravan" press had already seen it in Europe and had said so. Therefore SUK knew that they could "up" their prices for the towing additions. They are not the only company to do it, by any means.

Graham, since when is £400 "up" on €650?

Answer - Pay the dealer £800+ to install the towbar etc.

That ain't going to happen!!

I'll be checking out my local Towbar installers, which means SUK have lost out a potential extra £220 from me.

Graham, since when is £400 "up" on €650?

It's not, but the other price is.

And I think it is an example of how markets dictate price. We pay less for the actual metal work but more for the electrics.

£180 agin €165

£400 agin €650

£400 for a factory fit towbar is a bargain

My costs:

Westfalia towbar £200

Additional cable from Skoda £150

Factory preparation £180

Coding by dealership £50

Whats that £580! and an afternoon fitting the bloody thing myself!

Mine was £580 fitted, full 13pin electrics, VAG cable and coding by Chester tow bars.

I'm not convinced that the £400 is all you would pay from Skoda.

I very much doubt it will include any electrics at that price, (might get a removable cover in the rear bumper though!)

Mine was £580 fitted, full 13pin electrics, VAG cable and coding by Chester tow bars.

I'm not convinced that the £400 is all you would pay from Skoda.

I very much doubt it will include any electrics at that price, (might get a removable cover in the rear bumper though!)

I can't imagine why they would fit a towbar without electrics at the factory--what use would that be to anyone?

I can't imagine why they would fit a towbar without electrics at the factory--what use would that be to anyone?

Agree - my last VW factory fit tow bar had full electrics, so can't imagine Skoda would do anything different. Anyway what could you legally tow without any electrics for the trailer/caravan lights?

Ooh I can, they will expect you to pay extra for electrics, wouldnt be the first car manufacturer to do that.

£400 all in sounds too good to be true, there again I am an old cynic!

Lets hope someone gets one fitted for £400 at the factory soon and all will be revealed!