• 1 year later...

What you expect from installing that air filter?

How can you fit the hot air from exhaust to it? (rhetorical question)

Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

From http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to-improve-gas-mileage.html on the same site:-

Fuel saving tip #3: New air filter

A dirty filter impedes airflow into the engine, which decreases performance and economy. Driving around with a dirty or clogged air filter can reduce your vehicle’s gas mileage by up to ten percent, which at today’s prices, is the equivalent of adding about 30 cents to each gallon of gasoline you buy. That’s the price of a fast food meal with every fill-up!If you can’t see light coming through the filter media, replace it. Consider a K&N filter which is cleaned rather than changed; which are much less restrictive than throw-away paper filters, plus they’re environmentally more friendly.

Of course fitting a new air filter gets better fuel economy. Duh... But that was not the point.

The rest is unsubstantiated marketing lingo. The "environmentally more friendly" part brought tears to my eyes...

Of course fitting a new air filter gets better fuel economy. Duh... But that was not the point.

The rest is unsubstantiated marketing lingo. The "environmentally more friendly" part brought tears to my eyes..

My point was that 2 different pages on the same site give directly contradictory advice about K&N filters.

I agree that they're a waste of money (and noisy) on carburetor engines, unless you rejet to make use of the extra airflow.

My previous Mk2 Golf (1.6) had a 2e2, which is very similar; just with a few extra bits bolted on externally. 

A Polo (1989 1.3 Coupe S) I owned before that had a 2e3 I think, but the only thing I ever learned while owning that one was that if the vacuum hose going to the airbox thermostat cracks and causes the blend flap to stop working, carb icing is a very real problem. I think the only other thing I ever did to that carb was spray some carb cleaner down its throats once, which it liked.  Amazingly reliable compared with the Golf 2e2. :)

Some day I would like to dig into a Pierburg 2EE Ecotronic and mess with the firmware. To me that carburetor is a masterpiece of ingenuity. The only problem is to find one...

What you expect from installing that air filter?

How can you fit the hot air from exhaust to it? (rhetorical question)

Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

Hi Ricardo,

Some one in Colombia is selling stabilizer bars but dont fit with this big air filter.

11825629_10155983457970122_1696660117963

Edited by cesarbogota

Stabilizer bars are effective only if your car is fitted already with an anti-roll bar (ARB). Otherwise they are just for show. Like K&N air filters.

But it's your car. If you find useful to have a nicely painted assorted color pipe in the engine bay... go ahead.

Stabilizer bars are effective only if your car is fitted already with an anti-roll bar (ARB). Otherwise they are just for show. Like K&N air filters.

But it's your car. If you find useful to have a nicely painted assorted color pipe in the engine bay... go ahead.

Agreed, with that additional note that "stabilizer bars" (aka "strut braces") are only worthwhile if you have an actually straight body shell. Otherwise all you do is lock in the twist.

Agreed, with that additional note that "stabilizer bars" (aka "strut braces") are only worthwhile if you have an actually straight body shell. Otherwise all you do is lock in the twist.

For sure, there are some non functional parts in my car, It is just for fun!!!

1437838837_820586998_5.jpg

For sure, there are some non functional parts in my car, It is just for fun!!!

1437838837_820586998_5.jpg

Ok, different question which relates specifically to this car. Does the air cleaner case bang on the strut brace under any or all of hard acceleration, braking or cornering?

Ok, different question which relates specifically to this car. Does the air cleaner case bang on the strut brace under any or all of hard acceleration, braking or cornering?

The brace is a model for the photo, it is only posing. :)

The brace is a model for the photo, it is only posing. :)

Ah ok. I wondered because I thought it looked like the 2 might bang together, and that would be a reason for replacing the stock filter with a remote one.

Ah ok. I wondered because I thought it looked like the 2 might bang together, and that would be a reason for replacing the stock filter with a remote one.

Of course, just for that i want to change for an K&N.

Of course, just for that i want to change for an K&N.

Well, that makes sense to me (although a strut brace doesn't unless you're preparing for competition and fitting much harder springs). Having said that, I prefer filter foam filters such as Pipercross (UK brand) to cotton gauze ones like K&N, but you may have sourcing problems.

Well, that makes sense to me (although a strut brace doesn't unless you're preparing for competition and fitting much harder springs). Having said that, I prefer filter foam filters such as Pipercross (UK brand) to cotton gauze ones like K&N, but you may have sourcing problems.

Really, the brand it is not important. I do not have a clue to how change the filter. I mean, there is a kit for Felicia?  Something like:

Skoda-Favorit-Green-filter-sanie-3.jpg

I see 2 problems with that arrangement.

1. You'll have to buy custom air filters only from tuning shops, I guess not cheap
  2. You'll have no hot air from exhaust manifold area when cold outside.

A quick consult on Wikipedia suggests that carburettor icing in the mornings could be a problem, with typical overnight temperatures of 7 or 8C and Relative Humidity of 75%.

As to element costs relative to paper, if you clean and re-oil a filter foam or cotton gauze filter, it has a typical life of 100_000 miles (160_000km) or so, so I'd expect those to work out similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am living in Bogota,  The lower temperature is near 10C.  I agree it is important to take cold air, some arragement like this will work:

11898617_10156076601580122_2331843378538

About the strut brace, some Felicias came with it (as standard equipement):

110609_172137.jpg

The first of your two pictures is of a Fabia WRC, not a Felicia variant.

In the second, the airbox looks like a plenum chamber for a multipoint fuel injection system rather than a case for the air cleaner for a carburettor (or even single point injection).

Ken

You've missed both points completely. For the rest of us, the first photo is just an example of what he could adapt to his Felicia. In the second photo he didn't claim that is a factory mounted strut brace for a Felicia on carburetor, but he said literally "some Felicias"  That is the rest of us have read.

Sometimes I wonder if we should call you Ken Far-Fetched O'Neill because you are very consistent on that.

Edited by RicardoM