Which is lighter? Gigaros or Steelies?

I'm off to a track day on Sunday and I'm considering getting myself some cheap steelies so I don't mess up my black Gigaros.

My question is - which set is lighter? A set of 17" Gigaros or a set of 16" steel wheels?

I don't know if it helps at all, but I can tell you this. I weighed the 15 inch steelies my car came with, and I recently got a used set of genuine Skoda 15 inch alloys, and weighed these too, just to compare, out of curiosity. To my surprise, both weighed 17kg each, each wheel+tyre that is. I have always assumed that alloy wheels were lighter than steelies of the same size. It seems I was wrong. I don't know how to explain this, but it appears there is no weight advantage for alloys.

That's generally speaking at least, as there are different types of alloys available, cast, forged and what not. I know forged ones are generally lighter, but I don't know what type Gigaros are. I don't even know what mine are, but I just thought I'd give you an idea.

Based on that, I would hazard a guess that the 16" steelies are lighter, since they're smaller by an inch.

• Like 1

I put a new set of 17" tyres with 7" wide alloys on my van and weighed them + 3 kgs heaveyer per wheel than the original steel 15" wheels. errr.

So alloys are only better by width and looks?

Also contributes to drag.!

i read on here that steelies don't disperse heat as well as alloys .

This resulted in guy's running a Fabia (mk1) road rally car cooking wheel bearings and brake pads....

• Like 1

A while back I weighed 205/55R16 on alloy wheels with 195/65R15 on slightly narrower steel wheels and the latter were a bit lighter. The narrower tyre and wheel must have helped, but from what people generally say about alloy wheels I hadn't expected this result.

Expensive alloys=light,cheap alloys=heavy....usually.

That's true. I'd expect Skoda to have their alloys made by reputable manufacturers who supply OEM wheels like Speedline, Ronal, BBS, Enkei etc. as most other car makers do. But no, not Skoda. VW probably won't allow it, to boost their profits further...

i read on here that steelies don't disperse heat as well as alloys .

This resulted in guy's running a Fabia (mk1) road rally car cooking wheel bearings and brake pads....

+1 I remember that and was just about to post the same.

Not all alloys are equal.

I think more expensive alloys like the td1.2s would be lighter than either the steelies or the stock gigaros

Indeed. The TD 1.2's (16") that I had fitted on my MK1 Fabia were significantly lighter and stiffer than the stock alloys

? really?

I believe so. PastyBoy and I both had the same thoughts IIRC about running steelies for track use due to their cheapness, upon which said person commented about the heat dissipation issue.

+1 I remember that and was just about to post the same.

Indeed. The TD 1.2's (16") that I had fitted on my MK1 Fabia were significantly lighter and stiffer than the stock alloys

I believe so. PastyBoy and I both had the same thoughts IIRC about running steelies for track use due to their cheapness, upon which said person commented about the heat dissipation issue.

Wouldnt air ducts and fins help this?

I know on the vauxhall Vectra GSI (96-02) you get a lil air deflector kit that would fit underneath and channel air sucked in through the vents on the side of the bumper at the wheels/brakes

I'm off to a track day on Sunday and I'm considering getting myself some cheap steelies so I don't mess up my black Gigaros.

My question is - which set is lighter? A set of 17" Gigaros or a set of 16" steel wheels?

Generally as a rule of thumb, the larger the diameter of the wheel the heavier they wheel and tyre package will be, so 17’s will be heavier than 16” irrespective of them being alloy or steel.

Obviously there are some alloys that are really lightweight and will alter that, generally alloys are also wider than most steel wheels as well.

Well the good news is that I managed to find and borrow a set of 16" spiders off a Fabia MKI. Probably better than the steelies. I've also found some good condition used tyres but would love to have slicks on of they weren't so damn expensive. :( Friends tell me that they make a huge difference, wonder how many secs is huge.

If you want some really light wheels take the 15" 'manhole cover' Audi A3 alloys. They are forged and that's why the material thickness is less then castes ones. One wheel weights only 5kg without tire. post-68575-13590261824919_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Unfortunately I didn't know that, but if you will buy these make sure that they are produced in Germany, because Audi also produced some in Eastern Europe which were about 1kg heavier.

post-68575-1359030226298_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

I do use them in winter. Bought them on eBay for a good price. For track use the may be not perfect, but you will never get wheels that light for this price. They were also used on the roc buggys. ;)

post-68575-13590320957797_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1604379

Personally the unsprung weight of tyre/wheel combinations have never bothered me for 1/4 mile or Sprints,

(within reason),

Rather different for Hill Climbs but a few Kilos on the wheels/tyres would not bother me that much, compared to in the car.

For the track, light wheels/tyres would take less importance with me over having the best Diameter & width of tyre

& tread to suit performance and gearing and surface.

Traction and braking being my primary concern.

george