Replacement ADSL router

Aspman

We've just shifted BB companies. We took the free PoS router that came with it and the connection works well enough.

The router itself is emitting a high pitched whistling noise. Sounds a bit like a dry solder joint or a leaky capacitor.

It's likely that the BB company will do nothing since it is actually working and I'll have to replace.

Any recommendations for a budget ADSL router? I don't need many features although I'd like a basic firewall in it.

No Plusnet, they seem happy for you to use your own router and supply config settings on their website.

This one gets good reviews -

http://www.ebuyer.com/204552-netgear-dgn2200-wireless-n300-adsl-modem-router-dgn2200-100uks

Not needing VPN or home severs / remote access. Just after good wifi coverage and built in firewall.

Cheers but I'm going to stick with new kit. It's not worth getting chewed up by SWMBO when something doesn't work perfectly, instantly, within 10 seconds of the box opening :wall:

• Like 2

Cheers I was wondering about the TP Links stuff. I've no experience of the brand myself. Previous own router was D-Link which was not great.

I have a TP Link wireless card for a PC in another room.

The room is right next to the router, just a internal wall (Modern) in the way and it's not great in terms of signal, even when a laptop on the same desk is much better.

I can't say I rate it that highly. It is however cheap and works as well as any other cheap stuff, so it's not a disaster, just a case of what do you want from it I think.

Quite shocked tbh now.

Plusnet phoned up and are replacing the router and will refund return postage on the old one. No argument.

I guess the current 'free' routers are as cheap as cheap can be so I think I'll still replace it.

• Like 1

I have a TPLink that I replaced the Sky Fibre one with and I am very pleased with it.

Though I really want to buy a Cisco one now as I have a Cisco ASA 5505 :)

Nothing that's good is every cheap!

If it works well and is reliable then it's expensive, the way of life it seems....

I know, just seen the latest price on Amazon £120! I got mine from Amazon £76 only 8 months ago.... obviously getting more popular!

New one from Plusnet arrived and doesn't squeal.

Still want to replace with something. My Linux laptop doesn't seem to like their one too much.

Has your lappy got a broadcom wireless chip in it?

How did you guess. Utter *unt to get working in the first place with Mint. It has worked even with this new setup but the negotiation for a connection seems to be a bit clunky.

Actually I just remembered I've got a PCMCIA wifi card too that I bought just before getting Mint to work with the Broadcom chip. Might be worth shoving in (as Daisy would say).

Edited by Aspman

Just a thought on your original idea to replace the route, redundant now but....... with my new Virgin Media superhub thingy, some folk don't like them and replace with their own router. However the hub still has to be on as it is the modem too. So you would still have had the noise.

Good on you with Mint. :) I now have wife's laptop, my notebook and this desktop all running Mint 13, no windows in the house now. ( Makes it a bit dark!)

All 3 networked as well now. :happy:

Stuck a cheap 60Gb SSD into an old HP laptop and bunged on 'nix. Works pretty well I have to say. Other than the feckin wireless but that's always been a PITA with 'nix + win drivers.

How did you guess. Utter *unt to get working in the first place with Mint. It has worked even with this new setup but the negotiation for a connection seems to be a bit clunky.

Actually I just remembered I've got a PCMCIA wifi card too that I bought just before getting Mint to work with the Broadcom chip. Might be worth shoving in (as Daisy would say).

Broadcom won't release the specs to their wifi chips so they don't exactly work well under linux.

If you want an easy life and things to work just fine, then swap out the little PCI wifi card with one that's got an intel chip.

I've done it before on old dell laptops and nothing else is required.

Everything just works then and it's all good.