whats the ASG gearbox like?

bluecar1

swmbo has a mk1 vrs but looking to change summer time

due to a knee problem looking at some sort of auto box

looking at citigo sport (as info get outs)

so what is the ASG like to drive?

how does it compare to DSG?

anyone had any annoyances or problems with it?

• Like 1

so what is the ASG like to drive?

how does it compare to DSG?

anyone had any annoyances or problems with it?

I think compared to a DSG you may be disapointed.

It really is nothing like a DSG. It is principally the same but the changes in the DSG are very quick and smooth because it has two clutches. The ASG just has one so don't expect it to be as quick or smooth as a DSG. For what it is it's very good and no slower at gear changes then a manual car driven gently really.

I haven't heard of any problems but they haven't been out long so wait till some have got a few miles on them to know for sure. Should be fine as it's the same gearbox as the manual just with some extra electric gizmos on to do the clutch and gear work for you.

Phil

It's awful. Had one as a courtesy car yesterday and the response is so slow. It's the worst auto I've ever driven, worse than a merc c class.

It's awful. Had one as a courtesy car yesterday and the response is so slow. It's the worst auto I've ever driven, worse than a merc c class.

what do you normally drive?

majority of the time swmbo will be plodding to and thro work, she doesn't push the vrs often (or not that she owns up to :) )

Wife has an ASG VW UP! and loves it. She was used to a Smart with a similar gearbox. It likes to change up very early but if you put your foot down it doesn't. Compared to a DSG or a smooth torque converter auto it is a little crude but compared to rival city car robotised manual systems in Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, Smart etc it is as good as they get. She is also averaging 53 mpg including heavy city driving and wouldn't swap it. I have driven DSG and ASG and there is no comparison. DSG is fantastic, ASG does the job.

Edited by shrub

Wife has an ASG VW UP! and loves it. She was used to a Smart with a similar gearbox. It likes to change up very early but if you put your foot down it doesn't. Compared to a DSG or a smooth torque converter auto it is a little crude but compared to rival city car robotised manual systems in Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, Smart etc it is as good as they get. She is also averaging 53 mpg including heavy city driving and wouldn't swap it. I have driven DSG and ASG and there is no comparison. DSG is fantastic, ASG does the job.

Agree - speaking as an ex VW DSG, Toyoya MMT and Smart auto owner - good description!

so basically it changes like a learner driver not to far off their test?

not quite kangeroo changes,of a brand new learner but slow and methodical changes just before a test

what do you normally drive?

majority of the time swmbo will be plodding to and thro work, she doesn't push the vrs often (or not that she owns up to :) )

It's in my sig. Octavia vrs dsg diesel.

I have driven many auto boxes but this is borderline dangerous. It feels like the power has been cut to the engine when it changes gear it takes that long.

It's in my sig. Octavia vrs dsg diesel.

I have driven many auto boxes but this is borderline dangerous. It feels like the power has been cut to the engine when it changes gear it takes that long.

Ah - but its not an Autobox in the sense you are thinking (I assume - if not, then I apologise). I've driven a Toyota one (Corolla, I think) and that made me feel ill with its lurching. The Smart (Roadster in this case) is much better IMHO, and the ASG probably a bit smoother on its changes, but that could be the difference in vehicles themselves. Having paddles on the Smart, I rarely used the Auto mode anyway - with the paddles, you're expecting the change so don't feel out of control.

Picked up mine yesterday took me 10 minutes to figure out. Perfectly fine.

so what is your thoughts on the box, not expecting dsg performance but just needs to be drivable without the need for a left foot

In auto mode you need to rev. it to at least 2000rpm and a lift when you want it to make an up shift, that's all really. Hold a rev. -- bigger roundabout-- you select the next desired gear at any time just using -/ + , and overwrites to manual mode, it holds until you up or down shifting or until you not select auto mode again. In manual mode it does down shifts for you in case you don't.

• Like 1

Not at all sure I understand the above and definitely don't understand......"less confusing we're smoother it gets"........however, the impression I get is that I don't want one. If it means paying more for something that has a decent auto box (and I'd include DSG in that) then I'll pay more. I didn't like it when I drove one, but it wasn't a long test drive and was/am prepared to be proved wrong, but the more I hear from you fellas the less I want one.

when my fabia goes in for service in a few months i may see if they have one i can have as a loan car, to get a better feel for how it drives, then decide if it is worth the wife test driving it

• 3 years later...

ASG is the worst automatic gearbox i ever see. Sometimes my friends use my car and they say the same too. Too long reaction time, too long shifting time. Also i had some problems with Asg and needed to go service.

The ASG is not really an automatic in the traditional sense - it is a robotised manual gearbox. I don't think that any manufacturer has produced an example of this type of gearbox for a volume produced car that is held in high regard.

• Like 1

i test drove VW UP ASG. honestly i thought the ASG was fine, very noticeable at first but after 10 mins of driving i forgotten all about it. its NOT that bad as people making out. as long you drive around slowly and its less noticeable . 

noticeable gear shift at 1/2/ when pulling away, 3/4 is very little noticeable. 4/5 is un-noticeable

sure its not the same as my vrs with dsg gearbox. but ASG is probably best automatic gearbox in a city car/single clutch auto 

would i buy one.....yes i would cos i am very lazy driver

• Like 2

I test drove Citigo with ASG and liked it just fine. That was the one I wanted, but it the end they just didn't have one to sell me, so I ended up with manual. ASG is not a great automatic box, but I'd say that it does the job adequately for the price. You can quite feel the shift from first to second and second to third when you're driving aggressively, so when you have to drive it hard I'd recommend you use it in manual mode and leave it in auto when you're cruising.

As Jeremy Clarkson said, there is no reason why you would want a manual stick these days and IMHO, that goes double for a city car. Ok, manual gearbox on a Citigo is an exemplary one, but still it happened to me today to miss the first gear and stall on a busy crossroad. Even ASG as the worst automatic gearbox will give you more ease of driving then any manual. This is probably the last time I ever bought a manual and I'd never do it if I didn't plan this car as an eventual gift to my father who never drove an automatic and worries about expensive repairs.

• Like 1