Best way to improve ride comfort on VRS

Hi guys,

As a Fabia vRS owner, I would also like to improve the "crashy ride" of our car.

As mentioned here, changing the dampers would help. As I don't want to lower the car, I think of going for Bilstein B6 with stock springs on all 4s .

The main question before investing in new dampers is, in what magnitude is the ride comfort improved ? Is it the same as going from 17" to 15" wheels ? or even better change ?

Thanks a lot for your opinion / experience !

Welcome to the forum.

Tyres / Wheels might well be a good change, because the 205 / 40 R 17 are a bit lacking in ride comfort,

some worse than others, i find 215 /40 R 17 a bit better,  but 16" tyres depends on what particular tyres.

Running 15" Rims and tyres all year is down to what you think.

Maybe see if you can try someones vRS with Uprated Suspension or smaller rims and see how they feel.

There is a Mk2 vRS owners get together at Santa Pod in May, and maybe a few different set ups of cars will be there.

Or try some local to you Skoda Meet.

?

What age of car have you, and on what tyres?

What would you seriously propose then ?

Without changing the handling dynamics then nothing. Its just one of those things with the OEM setup. Smaller rims with taller sidewall will make it handle like a waterbed

First off determine you are on OEM, if you are then maybe consider a coilover kit as they have infinately adjustable setting on damp and rebound.

The uK roads are awful and that does not help. We have a couple of newish BMW and they are unreal, especially on runflats. Way worse than the VRS

Meh. I've got an SE. So for what its worth, the springs, dampers and wheels will be different than a vrs.

Its comfy. No doubt about that.

But you lose the sportyness.

The harsh ride is the sportyness in an essence. What you get in harsh ride is what you gain in handing.

You cant have both with a car at this price point.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers.

The car (August 2012) is now running on 15" rim (195 55 15) for winter (Continental TS850).

For summer I have the 17" rims in 205 40 17 (Rain sport 3).

I do not agree that sporty suspension means harsh suspension. Now it's hard on small bumps and bad road, as well as soft in the corners ...

And for the meetings, unfortunately in France there are not so many vRS owners, and even less with mods :/

Edited by Woland

Change the shox, wheels, etc. The chassis, bodywork,etc. Engine, gearbox, etc, for a nice Mercedes. They go over the bumps right nice! :giggle:

I wonder, do you reply the same things to people upgrading chassis, remapped ECU, stage 1 - 2 - 3 mods etc .. ?  Like : "Change everything for a Lotus, they go well on the track" ?

I put the Summer tyres on, took some pain killers and went for a wee blast running 102 ron.

The suspension is wonderful when the road is just right for it.     Lovin the twincharger today.

What a beautiful place to drive, lucky you George :-)

Thanks for your answers !

As I have some pretty aggressive speed bumps in my neighborhood (which the car is almost scraping), I don't want to lower the car (as I said before), I might go for Bilstein B6 on stock springs + RARB. 

I'll wait for Spring/Summer  ;)

Edited by Woland

He does pretty much if the poster has a vRS.  He likes to take the Mick out of vRS owners.

Not true… I make a silly answer, purely for fun, on occasion particularly if there are already replies. Its not a "Dig" just a larf. Hence the smiley..

Vrs's are quite  nice motah's, actually, with exception to the horrid green ones!  (Again, a joke.. I'm sure its loved by some, hated by others).

If you read my posts though, you will see most are quite sensible. I might have inadvertently weighted jokey replies to Vrs owners but if I have, its purely coincidental… Perhaps they are the most likely to add the sort of mods, etc that make others wonder why they buy a certain car, only to change all the things that made it what it was in the first place. 

I have actually wondered why people do this but then, many Harley riders do the same thing to their bikes. Some come out great, others, you wonder why they didn't buy a different machine to stat with.

Any hoo-ha, sorry if you felt offended. That was not the intention at all.

• Like 1

I think people buy vRS as it offers amazing "bang for buck" and is very easy to mod with a huge VAG modding scene and parts bins. 

Also, the many weaknesses vRS has can be very cheaply eliminated with very light modding which makes it a great car for people who like that sort of thing. Out of the box it is a very good car and perfectly fine in all situations on public highways. Take it to a track day and shortcomings pop up clearly, where very affordable modding comes in :)

Not true… I make a silly answer, purely for fun, on occasion particularly if there are already replies. Its not a "Dig" just a larf. Hence the smiley..

Vrs's are quite nice motah's, actually, with exception to the horrid green ones! (Again, a joke.. I'm sure its loved by some, hated by others).

If you read my posts though, you will see most are quite sensible. I might have inadvertently weighted jokey replies to Vrs owners but if I have, its purely coincidental… Perhaps they are the most likely to add the sort of mods, etc that make others wonder why they buy a certain car, only to change all the things that made it what it was in the first place.

I have actually wondered why people do this but then, many Harley riders do the same thing to their bikes. Some come out great, others, you wonder why they didn't buy a different machine to stat with.

Any hoo-ha, sorry if you felt offended. That was not the intention at all.

Thats a lie.

Harley's never come out 'great'

Tractors.

;) haha.