Surprising Auto Express Team Test Result

dobbey

I got my issue of AE today to find there was a group test between the Superb SE Plus 170, the new Mazda 6 Sport and the Passat Sport 170. All were saloons. The Mazda came first, the Passat second and the Superb last. I'm not going to say the others are rubbish and the Superb should have won, but I was suprised that the VW beat the Skoda. After all, in all the other tests they've been in, the Skoda beat the VW. I also found it strange that they chose high spec VW and Mazda (that both cost around £25k) and the Superb was a £23k mid ish spec car. If they tested the Elegance, it would have been more fair IMO. I do think the Mazda looks great though, and I'll be looking at them when its time for a change :)

Amazing really. When I researched for a new motor in late 2010, finally placing my order for the Superb in early 2011, the Superb was winning plaudits from everyone. Top Gear voted it their family car of the year, I think Autocar also voted it best estate and the Caravan Club best tow car. Since then it hardly gets a mention and when it does is frequently voted behind the Passat and even Mondeo. I can only assume that the motoring press need to move on and try and come with something fresh. In the end you obviously make up your own mind, the forum helped me a lot, and I have been very pleased with my choice.

• Like 1

Auto Express have a habit of testing unsimilar models in my opinion. They've done many three car tests where one will be an automatic and the other two manuals, or four doors with a two door thrown in for good measure. I think they're glad to get their hands on any car rather than hold out for the correct comparison. Not my favorite mag and its climbed in price too from the sub £1 publication it used to be. 2/10 for Auto Express.

Auto Express have a habit of testing unsimilar models in my opinion. They've done many three car tests where one will be an automatic and the other two manuals, or four doors with a two door thrown in for good measure. I think they're glad to get their hands on any car rather than hold out for the correct comparison. Not my favorite mag and its climbed in price too from the sub £1 publication it used to be. 2/10 for Auto Express.

I know what you mean about it going downhill of late. My biggest bugbear is that so often in their description of a car they do not indicate whether its a petrol or diesel engine (you take note next time you read it). I'm left having to look at the MPG to give me a clue...if its high then its probably a diesel! I have subscribed to the mag for many years now but if I could find a decent alternative I'd change in a flash.

Stopped trusting anything they reviewed at least 2 years ago, as their test had always been skewed towards the 'premium'/ favourite brands. They were at the time BMW, Audi, VW, Porche, Ferrari. etc.

This is just proof of another skewed test using top of the range of favoured brand.

I'm left having to look at the MPG to give me a clue...if its high then its probably a diesel!

With you on this! The other give away is the photo of the dashboard - were the rev counter 'red-lines' is usually a give away - by 4,500 - 5000 it's a diesel / 6,000-7.000 then it's petrol

With you on this! The other give away is the photo of the dashboard - were the rev counter 'red-lines' is usually a give away - by 4,500 - 5000 it's a diesel / 6,000-7.000 then it's petrol

Blimey... that's very observant. Well done. We shouldn't have to be doing this detective work, should we!

I was so incensed by this a few months ago...I sent the editor an email (in fact TWO emails) asking that they start to indicate whether the car described is Petrol or Diesel. Needless to say I had no reply to either email. I also phoned and was told by a secretary that someone would phone me back to discuss my concerns...again no return call. Oh I do wish there was a different weekly car mag I could subscribe to. End of rant!

Never really read the mag to be honest - half the time the tests are sponsored so it's obvious who is going to win.

Case in point, yesterday whilst I was getting my wheels balanced I picked up an Auto Express supplement titled "Goodyear Winter Tyre Test" which pitted Goodyear, against all the other brands. Can you guess who won? Yes and I quickly put it down again.

Very poor and sloppy journalism most of the time. They need to keep the manufacturers happy so tend to go round in circles with the winners.

"Goodyear Winter Tyre Test" which pitted Goodyear, against all the other brands. ............

............ They need to keep the manufacturers happy so tend to go round in circles with the winners.

"round in circles with the winners" - brilliant pun for a tyre test!

• Like 1

Much prefer the design of the Superb's interior over the Passat.

Hopefully the facelift will keep the Superb competitive. Especially if it gets some of the newer engines.

Edited by OctaviaT81

Like many, I was swayed by reviews (Which?, Autocar, Auto Express) and so on to buy. Not as much weight as test drives (the new Santa Fe, the new Honda CR-V), but relevant none the less. After a month with my 170 L&K I totally concur with the (then) reviews. It's a super(B) car.

But inevitably other pretenders to the throne will come along - from VAG and others. Also reviews are personal opinions.

More though, if the Superb and other Skoda models always stay on top, what incentive does the company have to further refine and review - to look across at what others are doing and implement changes for the better?

The reason my car is super is in part due to competition. And right now, the reviewers may be right - a further development is needed to restore the crown. I'd disagree, but I'd also respect their (personal) view. Inevitable, yes. And also valuable.

I have subscribed to this Mag. for years and it is as good as any in keeping me up-to-date with the happenings in the world of Motoring and reasonably priced.

What annoys me the most is when the photos in the road tests are not of the model or spec that they have actually tested.

This particular thread relates to the current edition of the Mag.and the dash photo. shows a DSG when they tested a manual

The test in issue 1251 was for a L&K yet all the pictures were of an Elegance model.

This happens regularly with all makes and models and can be very misleading.

I think I'll waste some time and write to the Editor!!!!!!!

Regards to all

Graham

• Like 1

^ I was about to make this point. I stopped subscribing to it last year after it went downhill rapidly in my estimation. Coincided with a change in Editor from another magazine - car what might ring bells....