That's It! I've Had Enough!

Its amusing that you are so keen to save even more fuel that you will happily hand the government another 20% in taxes on the new car. Mr. Spock would not agree with your logic :)

If 50 mpg is a problem maybe you would be better with a pedal bike lol. Good look with the Kia tho :)

LOL I would love 50 MPG, I would love 46 MPG as the brochure stated when I bought my VRS? I only average 33-35 ! thats it I'm getting rid of my car......LOL NOT.

Get real no one believes what the MPG figures stated by the dealers of manufactures..... do they??

Ron.

I would be a bit annoyed with 50mpg. My old fabia 1.2 htp could manage that plus petrol is cheaper. My greenline 1 (pd) easily gets 65mpg in winter driving with disregard for economy on my 110 miles per day commute. 70 mpg in summer is the norm. That's just driving with the flow of traffic mixed road's and outside lane speeds on the dual carriageway. Its still shy of the book figures but I am more than happy with my economy. Even ignoring the ridiculous EU figures 50 mpg for a new diesel green line is total crap IMO.

I am soon to receive a new company car so my green line will go to swmbo. I Intentionally avoided a new Skoda diesel as I still have to pay for my fuel. My dealer admitted they get complaints about economy for the new cr engines. This is nothing to do with EU figures. Just crap economy compared to previous models like mine.

I wish Greenline well with his new purchase. I'm sure he will like it. The Rio's look great! Greenline has posted regularly elsewhere that he has a likely problem with his car that is not being addressed by his dealer. This is certainly affecting mpg's I would say. But it's impossible for anyone here to say for sure what is wrong. of course. I'm sure I would be sorting the problem rather than changing a car though, but we are all different and you gotta admire him for focusing on getting that good mpg figure! DieselV6 also has posted else where about his poor fuel economy. But when you read his posts he is driving the car 3 miles into town and 3 miles back again later in the day in usual town traffic so the car doesn't ever warm up and can never achieve the urban figure he is so desparately wanting. It does that all week and is around 30 miles or more of cold driving. It just isn't designed to be used entirely like that which just clogs it up triggering unnecessary dpf regens, wasting more fuel. Again I admire him for posting as much info as he has and he is pleased with the higher speed economy. But it does show how we can all get a false impression from just a cursory reading of a post on this subject. As a diesel owner myself I know how important getting good fuel economy can be. It's the 0-62mph figure for us blokes, and is why we buy them so I don't blame anyone for wanting what they are due. As everyone is saying Greenline, do post back if you can about your Rio.

Published MPG figures are not real world mpg's.

They are produced in laboratory controlled conditions according to strict EU reg's.

As such they should only be used as a yardstick to compare car 'A' against car 'B', knowing both have been tested using the same procedure. If car 'A' is 10% better than car 'B' then it should be more fuel efficient, however BOTH are likely to be much less than the quoted numbers.

Of course there will be some bending of the rules, where manufacturer 'a' will try and squeeze a little more out of their car, but this happens in every industry.

Just don't expect the car to actually meet the mpg's you see in the brochure.

• Like 1

Only driven Fabia GL II's as loan cars but always got well into the 60's, which is about 20 mpg more indicated than our 1.2TSI.

Strange these fuel readings; asked the dealer to check our first Fabia TSI 85 for fuel consumption, as it appeared to be using more fuel as the miles increased. However they came back with NFF, claiming that on their test run the fuel computer averaged 68mpg (and yes that was what it was showing). Best reading we'd ever got was 55mpg in the first 6 months of ownership and neither my good lady or I are lead foot drivers :wonder:

TP

Where you live has a great effect on fuel economy too. Where I live (Milton Keynes) it is notorious for bad mpg due to the stop start nature of the town with all its roundabouts. If I only commute to work when I will average a paltry 42-43mpg over a 12 mile round journey whereas as soon as I get out into the countryside and am able to keep constant speed it suddenly improves to mid 50s. This is something you have to take into account when buying a car as I know full well I will never get anywhere near the book figure due to where I live.

Had car brand new on january 2nd and am very happy with my mpg, especially compared to my previous car, a Renault Grande Scenic 1.6 petrol. The average mpg readings (which i know to take with a pinch of salt) are around 55mpg. I must admit to not concentrating on eco driving (as i love the little kick the turbo gives ;-) but i have no complaints at what i'm getting with real world driving. My driving is a mix of town, A roads and motorway. Sometimes long trips and sometimes very short trips so i'm not expecting the ultimate mpg. Would be surprised if the Kia was any different but wish you luck and hope you love your new car.

Edited by Stagger

Did you hit the MPG claims for the Skoda Fabia Greenline II?

We didn't. Over our week with the car we reached a 57mpg average. Yes, with a mixture of drivers using the car we may well have had some more aggressive drivers than a typical Fabia Greenline II owner; we also didn't do much long-distance driving or deny ourselves air-conditioning. It's a good figure, but we can't help wondering if a larger, less-stressed diesel engine would give better performance and reasonable real-world economy for the typical driver.

Verdict

The Skoda Fabia Greenline II has the potential to be a very frugal supermini in the hands of a driver willing to wring the maximum economy from each gallon of fuel. But unless you’re a central London MPG miser doing motorway runs you should consider going for one of the 1.6TDI engines instead. For an extra £385 you can have the 104bhp edition in SE Plus trim which would give you a swifter Skoda with less frustration in real-world driving, and only 107g/km of CO2. Or, if you can live with three doors only, there's always the Fiesta Econetic for sub-100g/km motoring with a higher level of driving enjoyment.

Dependant on the type of driving OP might have been better of with a petrol car like a Citigo -I think the type of driving with regards to roads and traffic has the greatest impact on fuel economy as has already been said.

Did you hit the MPG claims for the Skoda Fabia Greenline II?

We didn't. Over our week with the car we reached a 57mpg average. Yes, with a mixture of drivers using the car we may well have had some more aggressive drivers than a typical Fabia Greenline II owner; we also didn't do much long-distance driving or deny ourselves air-conditioning. It's a good figure, but we can't help wondering if a larger, less-stressed diesel engine would give better performance and reasonable real-world economy for the typical driver.

Verdict

The Skoda Fabia Greenline II has the potential to be a very frugal supermini in the hands of a driver willing to wring the maximum economy from each gallon of fuel. But unless you’re a central London MPG miser doing motorway runs you should consider going for one of the 1.6TDI engines instead. For an extra £385 you can have the 104bhp edition in SE Plus trim which would give you a swifter Skoda with less frustration in real-world driving, and only 107g/km of CO2. Or, if you can live with three doors only, there's always the Fiesta Econetic for sub-100g/km motoring with a higher level of driving enjoyment.

Have to admit to being often surprised at the reports and assumptions of the Greenline's engine being over stressed by being only a 1.2. Obviously I can only vouch for the Fabia Greenline II but it never feels stressed whilst sitting at 70 (or maybe occasionally more ;) ) on the motorway, and it's acceleration, whilst obviously not in the same league as some cars, still feels pretty good when you learn the gears etc. One of the fun things I like about it is the low profile tyres and lowered body that is integral to the Greenline also makes if a great ride, and sticks to the road and corners better than any other car I've had. I am not a speed king on the road, nor am I Sunday driver, but I find it a great engine and the mpg has made me smile since I had it a month ago.

Kia cars " no way " before you switch to a Kia you must look on the Kia Forum with regards to MPG , have a couple of brandy's before you do ,I had a skoda , then kia , i am pleased to say now back with skoda , if it was me i would ask kia for a full days drive in the Rio , that way you will see you are making a mistake by selling your G/L , also check the reliability of the Rio , you will have nightmares with both MPG / Reliability . It is worth checking the US Kia Forum , Kia are giving owners a rebate because of official high MPG , but in the real world people are getting no were near the official figure so both in the USA / Canada people are getting credit cards pre loaded for the short comings with regards to the fuel usage

Kia cars " no way " before you switch to a Kia you must look on the Kia Forum with regards to MPG , have a couple of brandy's before you do ,I had a skoda , then kia , i am pleased to say now back with skoda , if it was me i would ask kia for a full days drive in the Rio , that way you will see you are making a mistake by selling your G/L , also check the reliability of the Rio , you will have nightmares with both MPG / Reliability . It is worth checking the US Kia Forum , Kia are giving owners a rebate because of official high MPG , but in the real world people are getting no were near the official figure so both in the USA / Canada people are getting credit cards pre loaded for the short comings with regards to the fuel usage

We in the uk wouldn't get credit cards loaded , again we would be shafted

Skoda is the way , before test driving a Kia Optima go onto the Kia Forum , issues with mpg / clutches / gearboxes are all there , i was in a KIA Showroom two weeks ago , they had an Optima in the show room ( never been on the road ) and was awaiting a new gearbox , also the drivers door handle ( external ) came away from the door when attempting access to the car . Better wait untill the new Octy hits the showrooms

i average low-mid 60's on my GL II tank on tank

waiting for first service in 5k, on variable so will be about 19k for first service, hoping for a software update and an improvement that is reported about 10k in other fabias

that is on a 25 mile each way commute and some local work at weekends, on trips to another site round m25 i see 80+mpg

VARIABLE!!!I was categorically told Fabias don't do variable, by three dealers. Not to sets the hares racing, but I would get that checked out, as I can smell a fish if they've stuck the fixed servicing type oil in and you go for a service 10000 miles too late!!

Skoda do Variable Servicing (Oil & Filter Changes Servicing)

& Skoda Dealers may use Long Life Oil & the car can be showing Variable.

No idea why the Dealers should say they do not.

The Code on the Car & Service book should show if suitable for Variable servicing.

george

My Fabia book is stamped as Variable. Phoned supplying dealer to check, as the service indicator started chiming at me - reckoned it needed service 1 at about 9000 miles.

They (supplying dealer) said "no variable on Fabias - Skoda policy". Fair enough. Booked it in, just to be sure. £106. Done.

Servicing dealer - I asked the service people and the salesman - why is it not on Variable, as it's stamped that way and the same engine as my wife's golf, need a service at 18000 miles according to the indicator? Reply "Skoda policy, no variable servicing for Fabias. Won't have the right oil in for 18000 miles (the long life stuff), must have been stamped wrong."

So that's 3 different people, at 2 locations, the first had nothing to gain by telling me it was Fixed only (as he wasn't getting my service money), the second I asked when I phoned to book - when's it due. They did gain, but it's not raking the cash in. I also posted it on here, to check and had quite a few "Fabias don't do variable" responses.

I just wouldn't want a similar mistake to be made (if there was one) and there to be an issue. Obviously I'd love to have gone 18000 miles before my service, but actually, for that amount, I'm happy it's done and stamped up.

As to the OP, you're not driving it properly ;-) (I'm joking, just pulling your leg - hope it gets fixed one way or the other - saw a Rio today - looked good, just not as good as my Monte...)

'3 different people at 2 locations',

but were any of them a Trained VAG Technician (Motor Mechanic)?

Car sales people & Service desk or Reception staff are sometimes knowledgeable on trading in cars & parts,

not all of them know much about the mechanics or even the driving of them IME.

george