servicing the vRS

pikachu24

Has anyone serviced their Fabia them selves and is it easy enough to do? no special tools needed or anything?

I'm looking to do it myself as i dont fancy paying someone £200 to do a job i could prob do myself.

thanks.

Torx bit to remove the plastic tray,

Large socket to remove oil filter,

19mm socket to remove sump plug,

Oil tray/plastic tub (5+litres) and some where to store the old oil. My local recycling center/tip, has a large oil container for used oil.

Oil change is easy, I'm sure there are guides on here or in the Haynes book. Hardest bit is poring the oil in with it going all over the rocker cover :)

Thing is that is a Oil & Filter change, (Oil Service/Minor Service/Inspection Service etc under £100),

& that can be got for £25-£50 any day if just oil and filter..

or more with good/correct oil.

So if its a service are you looking at actually Servicing.

£150-£200-£300 depends on service needed at what mileage.

Inspecting and Maintaining doing things as and when required, safety and reliability..

Check & adjust, greasing and oiling, Brakes, Suspension, Fluids, Tyre Pressures and condition.

Brake Fluid change when requires, Anti Freeze Check or Change, Gearbox Oil check or change, Filters, Air, Pollen Fuel etc. Even those hinges and washer fluid that Main Stealers like to do at services.

All DIY work if you know what you are doing & worth learning.

Or just do an oil and filter change.

george

Done mine yesterday,

Oil,

Oil Filter,

Air Filter,

Sump plug with washer came to £38 with trade discount at TPS,

Small torx bit for undertray.

19mm socket for sump plug.

32mm socket for asz engine code oil filter

basin

kitchen roll

Oil change and filter change is easy. Even easier if you invest in a suction pump from Screwfix meaning the oil can be removed via the dipstick.

Air filter, cabin (pollen) filter and fuel filter change are also very easy.

awesome thanks guys :) at least i know its a simple job.

if there is a guide can someone post it up. appreciate it!

SK4GW: I do everything like that myself I've just never done a fabia before and wanted to know the tools needed for the job. only thing i pay for is the brake fluid and power steering change as thats a horrid job :D

Brake fluid is easy, PAS has no interval on a fabia. The universal filter tools work well enough and are inexpensive but I'm genuinely not a fan of the suction methods for oil removal, my last car had no sump plugs so was suction only, you should have seen the crap in the bottom when the sump was changed and it was meticulously serviced.

Brake fluid is easy, PAS has no interval on a fabia. The universal filter tools work well enough and are inexpensive but I'm genuinely not a fan of the suction methods for oil removal, my last car had no sump plugs so was suction only, you should have seen the crap in the bottom when the sump was changed and it was meticulously serviced.

ill agree with that remove sump plug rather than sucking it out where poss

Serviced mine myself and it was easy once I had the correct tools.

There are plenty of cheap service deals around but are they using oem parts, not just oem quality parts which might not be the same thing

ill agree with that remove sump plug rather than sucking it out where poss

Whereas I think that there is nothing wrong with the suction method. I'm quite confident in doing it this way and I discussed it with an ex-mechanic I work with who rates it too and has a Pela 6000 suction pump. Boat/yacht owners have used this method for years where a sump plug isn't an option. Crap in bottom of the sump could have been failure of the CCV hoses. My Saab was serviced on schedule (sump plug method) and when the sump was dropped to check the strainer it had a fair amount of debris in it.

Each to their own though.

P.s Some swear by an oil flush, some think they are bad for PD engines. I change my oil every 5k miles and get it nice and hot before I change it so don't bother.

No need to clamp the hoses when changing the fuel filter. When you move the hose clamps back to slide the hoses off, they do a good enough job.