New MOT Items- Now Failable From April 7th (Now 20th March2013)

fordfan

The much discussed new testable items in the MOT test will be failable for any MOT test or retest carried out from April 7th 2013.

These are:

Annex B: List of New Testable Components

?

Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps

?

Main beam ‘tell-tale’

?

Battery (including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles)

?

Electrical wiring and connectors

?

Trailer electrical socket security and damage

?

Operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets using an approved trailer socket tester

?

Operation of the steering lock (where fitted) including that malfunction warning is not displayed for an electronic steering lock

?

Electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault

?

Electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp

?

Electronic Stability Control (ESC) components, including the switch (if fitted) and malfunction warning

?

Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative

?

Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

?

SRS components including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters and SRS malfunction warning lamp

?

Engine mountings

?

Speedometer

?

Indirect vision devices (where they replace obligatory mirrors)

Hmmmm, might have to buy a new light switch without the manual leveling option in it methinks!

I thought the rest of those apart from the HID/TPMS stuff was tested already?

Edited by TriggerFish

Thanks for posting this. Do you have any information on how they will be tested as I imagine some of them will vary from car to car, eg

Electronic Stability Control (ESC) components, including the switch (if fitted) and malfunction warning

?

Chris

Annex B: List of New Testable Components

Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps

I.e. when not fitted, it is a pass, as long as beam is of correct shape/position. When fitted, levellers/washers must work correctly.

VOSA issued clarification in October, link to it and quote is here.

Thanks for posting this. Do you have any information on how they will be tested as I imagine some of them will vary from car to car, eg

?

Chris

I think that's being done on an "if there's a warning light for ESC failed illuminated then you fail" basis.

I would guess not based on MOT manual. Regular halogens can have broken headlamp washers and levellers as long as the beam passes.

MOT Manual says:

Method of Inspection

2. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are

fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the

operation of any headlamp levelling and

cleaning devices fitted.

Reason for Rejection

2. A headlamp levelling or cleaning device

inoperative or otherwise obviously defective

I guess a manual leveller would have to work for HID (or LED) retrofits as it is fitted,

"2. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are

fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the

operation of any headlamp levelling and

cleaning devices fitted.

In any case, I would strongly recommend at least stock factory manual headlamp range control for any headlamps, halogen/HID/LED/paraffin candle :), as when the boot is really full, change in beam level can be 1.5-2deg up.If you have them aimed at -0.5 to -1.0 at MOT, they can easily go above horizontal unless you adjust level from the cabin.

I think that's being done on an "if there's a warning light for ESC failed illuminated then you fail" basis.

Could well be - reason I ask is I thought that warning lamps on the car were already checked as part of the MOT. I guess the switch isn't currently tested though, although I'm wondering how useful a test that is... :D

Chris

Could well be - reason I ask is I thought that warning lamps on the car were already checked as part of the MOT. I guess the switch isn't currently tested though, although I'm wondering how useful a test that is... :D

Chris

Well, the Octavia's TCS (not ESP) switch latches in the "disabled" position, so could theoretically be used to conceal a TCS failure by latching it off before the test.

I attended a seminar last week, that was when we were informed of the date for the new test items. The only warning lamps currently failable are for the ABS, rear fog lamp and indicators if there isn't an audible warning.

TPMS only for cars registered after 01/01/12 and only if it indicates a fault with the system, if it's on for a deflated tyre then it's working as it should.

http://www.dft.gov.u...cialnotices.htm

VOSA are running the courses for professionals (i.e. so the Minister must have signed the letter to make the new regulations law) but haven't updated the website yet ? Euh ?

Nick

Changes were all over Special Notices for most of 2011 and 2012,, even the MOT manual (downloadable there) reflects posted status already.

• 3 weeks later...

Now HTF are they going to test the electronic parking brake . The old test AFAIK worked on the retardation factor.but in order to operate the electronic one ,you need to operate the footbrake .

All the electronic parking brakes that I've tested are applied with a button without the need to apply the service brake. The service brake does need to be applied to release them. So it's the usual measure the readings from the roller brake tester - no change there, the only difference is that after March 20th we'll check that the warning light works.