Playstation 4 Launch

Royston

I was also in a competitive Counterstrike and Counterstrike source team back in the day and we were ranked quite highly on 'enemydown' i think was the main global ranking list for CSS clans at the time one of my team mates even got sponsorship from Razer and we got their keyboards and copperhead laser Mices before they even came out in the shop. However as soon as i got the ps3 i stopped playing it. I casually play COD on the ps3 nowadays and i dont take it seriously anymore im usually drunk while playing with my mates if im honest we have a right laugh. I used to enjoy constantly upgrading / overclocking my PC to get higher framerates etc. but eventually you realise that its just a bottomless money pit and you will never ever really get close to the excellent engineering of a sony. Xbox to the untrained eye might be similar to the ps3 but its leagues ahead to someone who knows technology. I fear this gap may have been closed by microsofts latest offerings so i might end up buying both again. My xbox 360 is still sat in the loft with original xbox and a neogeo and a sega saturn covered in dust.

I actually played counterstrike Go on xbox recently for a bit of nostalgia. I was totally 5hite. Amazing how you forget. Couldnt agree more about the constant upgrading PC thing, it got tedious after a while. It was like the deliberately made games that your machine would struggle with rather than fully expoiting already available technology.

You say the xbox is leagues ahead of sony? Out of interest can you explain? I know sod all about the tech but it interests me none the less.

I heard a good statement about PS3 and XBOX from someone explaining why the xbox could achieve the same results from apharently lesser tech. it went "its the difference between an entertainment company and a software company". Thought ti summed up nicley why the xbox can do what it does.

Without going into terraflops and bottlenecks the ps3 can do about twice the throughput of the xbox without braking a sweat. To the anoyance to most playstation owners though the game designers never have really utilised this extra capacity of the gpu or cpu. They obviously want games to have the largest market share so they design the games to be compatible with the xbox and then port it onto the playstation its easier to do this than design the game for ps3 then make it backwards compatible with the xbox. This only goes to serve the misconseption that the xbox is as good as the ps3. Im not brand loyal though and will gladly buy the new xbox if sony make a cockup with the ps4 or even get both if there are advantages to both. P.S Counterstrike will be getting a more polished release on the sony and fingers crossed have wireless keyboard and mouse support.

They nearly f**ked it up introducing Cinavia protection but i got round that.

You were saying !!!

PM me please :angel:

Me too please :hi:

PS3 was my first console since the Sega Master System II which had Alex Kid built in and I had the first Soni, no other games as we were poor. I seemed to be able to 'acquire' many more games when we finally got a half decent PC and went from there. :angel:

Me too please :hi:

PS3 was my first console since the Sega Master System II which had Alex Kid built in and I had the first Soni, no other games as we were poor. I seemed to be able to 'acquire' many more games when we finally got a half decent PC and went from there. :angel:

As i have just pm'd David 8 don't get too excited i can't circumvent the protection i just purchased a newer Sony Bravia TV which for some Mad reason allows playback of the Cinavia protected files through USB port and a similar XMB style interface. I keep updating the TV's firmware half expecting them to enable cinavia but its still fine and plays them back ok.

PS4 = vaporware at the moment.

So you saw some games and developers.......the game footage was all demo videos. Look at the stuff they put on in TV ads......usually always says "not actual in game footage" or such like.

AS we've got right now is a bunch of management on a stage saying how brilliant the PS4 is.......nobody's seen anything, let alone a price.

No prices yet. Everyone thinks and hopes it will be around £3-400. I can remember seeing 360 and PS3 bundles when they were launched at around £5-600. I won't be paying any more than £400 if I buy at all. What will also hurt it a bit (but Sony have always done this) is that PS3 owners won't be cut off completely. For probably 18 months or so games will be launched on both. So for a year, apart from keeping up with the Joneses there's no need to go next gen

Without going into terraflops and bottlenecks the ps3 can do about twice the throughput of the xbox without braking a sweat. To the anoyance to most playstation owners though the game designers never have really utilised this extra capacity of the gpu or cpu. They obviously want games to have the largest market share so they design the games to be compatible with the xbox and then port it onto the playstation its easier to do this than design the game for ps3 then make it backwards compatible with the xbox. This only goes to serve the misconseption that the xbox is as good as the ps3. Im not brand loyal though and will gladly buy the new xbox if sony make a cockup with the ps4 or even get both if there are advantages to both. P.S Counterstrike will be getting a more polished release on the sony and fingers crossed have wireless keyboard and mouse support.

You do have to go into bottlenecks though, claiming the PS3 can do twice the throughput is totally and utterly meaningless without any context. If the PS3 genuinely did have so much more capability you'd have seen first party games taking advantage of that but they haven't so it simply does not have that much more capability than the 360 and it does have serious bottlenecks stemming from poor design which hamper it badly. Clearly Sony should know their own technology so your claims are false. Furthermore it was far worse for GC and Xbox 1 owners the previous generation as both those consoles were quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 yet had to make to with shoddy ports because the PS2 had more units sold.

As with previous generations I'm sure there will be good exclusives on the PS4 just as there will be on whatever comes after the 360 and the Wii-U so will probably end up buying all of them as I have with the current generation although these days most of my gaming is on the PC, kind of hard to go back to 1080p once you're used to playing at higher resolutions.

John

You do have to go into bottlenecks though, claiming the PS3 can do twice the throughput is totally and utterly meaningless without any context. If the PS3 genuinely did have so much more capability you'd have seen first party games taking advantage of that but they haven't so it simply does not have that much more capability than the 360 and it does have serious bottlenecks stemming from poor design which hamper it badly. Clearly Sony should know their own technology so your claims are false. Furthermore it was far worse for GC and Xbox 1 owners the previous generation as both those consoles were quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 yet had to make to with shoddy ports because the PS2 had more units sold.

As with previous generations I'm sure there will be good exclusives on the PS4 just as there will be on whatever comes after the 360 and the Wii-U so will probably end up buying all of them as I have with the current generation although these days most of my gaming is on the PC, kind of hard to go back to 1080p once you're used to playing at higher resolutions.

John

Don't forget Microsoft have been tinkering for a while playing catchup to the ps3 if your talking about the Elite Falcon chipset then they are much closer match than the original offering i have stuck in my loft collecting dust. Correct me if im wrong but the original xbox 360 didn't have dts master audio or Dolby true hd support and the hard drive was tiny and no bluray support. All these things were important to me. So don't just say im wrong when the ps3 was clearly a better made more advanced machine. Check how many RROD there have been compared to the less common YLOD of the PS3 i could go on but your clearly an xbox fanboy so wont listen to reason.

• Like 1

kind of hard to go back to 1080p once you're used to playing at higher resolutions.

John

Who's showboating out of context figures, your kidding yourself if you think your latest nvidia or amd GFX card outputting to a small lcd / led desktop monitor even if the resolution is 7680 × 4320 would be better quality contextually than a ps3 connected to a 1080p 24p large Sony bravia screen. So you have more dots per square inch but the human eye isn't that fussy and at the normal viewing distance from a very large high quality Full HD TV will always look better as more of your peripheral vision is filled by the screen unless your sitting with your nose touching your desktop monitor. This is only an opinion don't forget technically the higher resolution would win a stats contest but visually its more imersing and impressive to play on a large screen imho. The new SuperHD screens are on my shopping list so im hoping either the xbox or ps4 supports the resolution.