Playstation 4 Launch

Royston

There's a massive Sony Press conference taking place at 11pm UK time tonight to announce the PS4. There are loads of rumours and speculation about what's in the box, but the most common ideas are

Released Xmas 2013

Under £300

Not cutting edge processors inside.

Sony have really taken a battering recently so however it stacks up, it's got to be good......

• Like 1

Apparently this and the new 720 will have the same processor but different graphics, PS3 being "better". Just looked up the spec of the PS3 and it's amazing how behind it is. My current gaming rig plays even the latest games flat out. I'll hold out for a few months like I've done with my last three Playstations

I'll stick to my pc for games, might get one for the blu ray and media side of things

I got a free PS3 years ago with a contract mobile for the blu ray player but I got forced into using it for gaming too. I feel so used and I miss my mouse :( CS 1.6b FTW!

That said, GT6 could be a decider !!

I only tend to play racers now on the PS3 since i have a proper wheel. GTA will be the last game I buy for it. As for GT6 if they take as long as they did for GT5 we could be in for a long weight. There's a long list of things they need to do to improve it. One being the fact that they have the Top Gear track but none of the reasonably priced cars or the ability to do standing starts there.

• Like 1

I only tend to play racers now on the PS3 since i have a proper wheel. GTA will be the last game I buy for it. As for GT6 if they take as long as they did for GT5 we could be in for a long weight. There's a long list of things they need to do to improve it. One being the fact that they have the Top Gear track but none of the reasonably priced cars or the ability to do standing starts there.

Unfortunately I gave up on the GT franchise after issue 4. The wait/delay for GT5 meant that in the end I couldn't be bothered to buy a PS-3 and ended up going for an XBOX and Forza.

I have subsequently had a brief play with GT5 but found it to be similar to Forza for the common tracks and as such I am happy that i went that way. But I do miss those tracks which are unique to GT though :(

Possibly but I'm not sure if Sony want to have another hacking like last time so will have toughened it up. Driveclub so far is the only game I want to play but will my PS3 wheel work with it and will my Gamertag and trophies transfer over too?

It does not look groundbreaking whatsoever.

If I hadn't known, I would have said those games were PS3 games, so not even graphically better. I do not want all of this social networking ****, and they can't even stream a video on the web properly, how are they expecting to stream everybody's game screen too?

Driveclub looked like a fancier version of Forza Horizon particularly the challenge feature which Horizon already has. I misheard what they said and thought they were about to really show off with a full endurance car field but sadly instead their show off feature was being to step into the car and fasten the harness.

John

I have an X-Box. An X-box 1 that is.

Prob stick to the PC since a gfx card is cheaper than a console. This will probably change as the boy gets older. He'll have to use the Wii first.

I fell asleep watching that ..... thing last night about 1 hour or 90 min in. What did I miss, more stuttering nerds driving on? Half of what I saw was developers plugging their new games for PS4 platform.

FUBAR required the following information:

What it looks like

What is new

Demo of it's features / gameplay

How much

Instead I watched some middle aged nerds sweating tying to be Steve Jobs............................. :wall:

I would almost not buy one because of that live thing last night, but not to the point of whoring myself to another shoddily built Microsoft inferior machine. From game examples I saw I might stick with PS3 for blu ray and build a nice big gaming PC as a treat, once I get somewhere to live.

Like many my generation they are almost giving up on console gaming. Other, bigger toys are more important, money is spent on other things, But we have the money and if we aren't impressed then it's game over. I don't want the posting to FB crap and turned it off on the PS3. Uploading game footage is cool though especially when games like F1 inevitably glitch and the world can quickly see it on Youtube. Controller looks fine and easy to get used to and the long updates and slow booting seems to be fixed.

I don't know why they didn't reveal even prototype sketches to gauge interest on the design, it's all very odd. Spec wise it's not groundbreaking and my gaming rig would give it a run for it's money. But they've realised there's not much further they can push it to be a noticeable difference. This is a bit of an own goal for Sony though. All Ballmer has to do is walk onstage, show the console and say how much it is.

I had the original launch PS3 60gb and now have a slim. I have had every console ever made from the Atari onwards with the exception of the Wii U PSP and Vita. I feel Sony are getting confused about their target market. I love the playstation because you can bang a disc in and play a game or use it as your home cinema. They nearly f**ked it up introducing Cinavia protection but i got round that. Trouble is they seem to be going away from cutting edge performance and watering it down to offer social networking *******s to try and tap into the guff that apple and nintendo are punting. Im not interested in any of that stuff make the platform more stable in multiplayer gaming fine but youtube integration and chatting with friends while playing i couldnt give a toss about. Make the graphics more shiny and realistic please Sony thats all i want. Oh and if your changing the handset relocate the screw recess on the underside of the controller as it gives you a blister from prolonged play.

WIll be interesting to see the differences between the PS4 and the new XBOX. Im an xbox user at the moment but had the PS2 so im happy to switch loyalties to get the best console.

I would wager that the new consoles will be virtually identical to each other as the current ones are as if there was a noticibale difference then surely the poorer machine would fail.

Ideally id prefer to stick with XBOX as i assume my gamertag and achievments etc will carry on but ultimately i will buy the console that has the best games, graphics etc. Whichever is the better "gaming" machine is the one ill own.

I use xbox live a lot and it is very good for demos and arcade games etc. Some of the best games ive ever played have been xbox live arcade games. Other than this i couldnt give two hoots about the other features of the consoles but i do understand that other like all the multi media / social networking junk so it doesnt surprise me that it sin there.

Any idea when the new xbox is coming out? I definately will not buy either untill both have been released and a verdict on the best one is established.

In the end of the day my current xbox still impresses me so these new ones are going to be amazing. Couldnt care less about PC gaming rigs being more powerful as ive been there and done that years ago. Console gaming is a far more enjoyable experience as far as im concerned so the exact details of internal components doesnt iterest me. End results do and time will tell who wins. My prediction - dead heat. Fans of the consoles will stick with the ones they are used to and the status quo will carry on.

One thing Playstation got very right was Playstation Plus. £40 a year but it gets you demos early and loads of free games, so many I've now run out of space. It pays for itself within a month.

They should have just pitched it as a serious gamers console who loves tech too. But you could argue that serious gamers only use PC's. I don't and I see the benefits of both. It's only this year I've sorted a gaming rig out after putting it off for years. The Move thing will be mainly for kids. I have it for PS3 and I used it for all of a week and it's never seen daylight since. Don't really have room for it now.

One thing Playstation got very right was Playstation Plus. £40 a year but it gets you demos early and loads of free games, so many I've now run out of space. It pays for itself within a month.

They should have just pitched it as a serious gamers console who loves tech too. But you could argue that serious gamers only use PC's. I don't and I see the benefits of both. It's only this year I've sorted a gaming rig out after putting it off for years. The Move thing will be mainly for kids. I have it for PS3 and I used it for all of a week and it's never seen daylight since. Don't really have room for it now.

Trust me serious gamers dont all use PC's. I gamed on PC's for years even serious online competitive stuff when counterstrike and team fortress first came out. I just think consoles are better. Its a far more streamlined experience IMO and the xbox live features are superb. Not dissing PC gaming as ive done that for longer than most but i just see console gaming as an evolution of gaming. PC gamers love to diss consoles for some reason like they are for kids but for me a console is purpose built for gaming whereas a PC is a computer at heart that is merely capable of playing games. Each to their own though but i would never go back.

I was also in a competitive Counterstrike and Counterstrike source team back in the day and we were ranked quite highly on 'enemydown' i think was the main global ranking list for CSS clans at the time one of my team mates even got sponsorship from Razer and we got their keyboards and copperhead laser Mices before they even came out in the shop. However as soon as i got the ps3 i stopped playing it. I casually play COD on the ps3 nowadays and i dont take it seriously anymore im usually drunk while playing with my mates if im honest we have a right laugh. I used to enjoy constantly upgrading / overclocking my PC to get higher framerates etc. but eventually you realise that its just a bottomless money pit and you will never ever really get close to the excellent engineering of a sony. Xbox to the untrained eye might be similar to the ps3 but its leagues ahead to someone who knows technology. I fear this gap may have been closed by microsofts latest offerings so i might end up buying both again. My xbox 360 is still sat in the loft with original xbox and a neogeo and a sega saturn covered in dust.