Poor tyre wear

kgm

I'm not saying you can't, but Skip does tell tall ones trust me on that, and it's not I don't like him as he's quite entertaining at times.

When did they open the gates of the asylum :hi:

Considering i'm on 16 inch and most who have 17 or 18s on theres.

I have run all types of tyres on my cabs over the last 32 years, and have found that keeping the tyre pressures correct and driven sensibly they last a  lot longer.

i had a puncture when I had my Octy, they fitted a Kumo to the front, it was down to the wear bars before the michelin on the other side.

Cars with larger wheels use wider tyres thats a fact today and thats possibly why they dont last as long

• 1 month later...

Well my front Conti's have lasted 14.7k and having look through this thread have not seen Goodyear (Goodyear efficient Grip Performance) mentioned even though they score highly for rolling resistance ( B), (A) for wet and 69dB for noise which is generally much better than those mentioned. I will see how they do. I did read up on here, Which magazine and Auto Express.

Price:- £128-£160 each on line delivered and fitted. Local village tyre garage (1/2 mile up the road) £123 fitted.

After just 10.3k the two front continental sport contact 2 tyres are as good as illegal.

The car was a demonstrator for 8k of those miles so that may have some bearing, amused that the salesman told me the fronts would be good for 18k just 8 weeks ago!

I had chosen Goodyear efficient Grip Performance as a replacement but wish to inform others that they are unsuitable as a replacement as they are 92w not 92y (y) being the speed rating. 

Whilst I doubt the car can go to the maximum that w allows and I certainly am too chicken to try, the insurance companies could say you have invalidated your insurance by fitting tyres not approved for the vehicle.

For the 170 cr engine, y rated tyres are the only ones listed.

Checked on the Goodyear site and they currently can not offer that tyre in Y speed rating.

sad.

I have a less than one year old Superb 2.0 4WD L&K estate and have done circa 15k miles. It has the 18" alloy wheels and low profile tyres. I am now on my 10th or 11th new tyre and I am so glad that we lease the car through Lex along with a full maintenance. SI am surprised they haven't woken up yet.

Although it is a 4x4 that is to cope with Pennine snowy roads not "off-road" (I have a Land Rover for that).

Out of those 10 or 11 tyres I guess 5 have been replaced through wear; 3 through blow-outs/bursts in pot-holes and 2 or 3 through unspecified deflation. It is becoming a regular pain.

After the last burst a few weeks ago a local Skoda dealership took it in and did something to the front suspension which is unspecified as I don't get the bill but I suspect there was some serious front suspension damage or defect as I think they replaced struts/turrets ??.

The car came back significantly under-steering which I could get used to but with headlights shining high in the sky and as I didn't have a clue they had messed with them I found myself returning from London to Yorkshire in the dark with extremely angry drivers coming towards me. There is no manual adjustment with the adaptive suspension system. The dealer attended to the problem the next day so I could go on my holiday to Cornwall but now the lights pointed staright at the ground even on full beam. m

At about tyre no. 5 I spoke at length to Skoda UK in Leeds mainly to compmain about the totally useless can of **** in place of a spare. (As your dealer whether they actually stock the ****; how much it is and how much they have sold - then go figure how many Skmodas are driving arouind with no tyre damage cover!

I got a deal out of them for a proper get you home spare which I wnt 50/50 with them on and subsequently as I think the bursting problem is due to the terrible low profile tyres which are stupid and uncomfortable on a car as big as the Superb Estate I asked for guidance about replacing with 16 or 17" stock steel rims and decent profile tyres. I wanted guidance and acceptance from them as I did not want to mess with the warranty on what is Lex's car. At first Skoda were not very forthcoming and after another burst I had another go as I had read-up on winter tyres in the handbook which gives official Skoda sanction for different profiles and rims and Skjoda UK then sent me a list of acceptable alternatives. As this will cost me going on for £800 I have done nothing yet but I am getting heartily sick of the currrent situation.

I love Skodas and own a company with three currrently on our books but we have had ten or more in total. I have come from Mercs and Audis and reckon Skoda better all around so i am protective of the brand. My guess is that the suspension and low profile set up on the Superb Estate just isnt right for some reason.

May I please ask if anyone else is experiencing similar difficulties?

For the record - I find the people at Skoda UK very pleasant and rather helpful within the usual constraints of big company strictures.

Further to **** marks in the above post. This forum system did that -not me. It implies I wrote something rude - I did not and I find the intervention puerile and offensive.

So as to avoid they system the word I used was G O O K  - if that fails to get through it was the letters following F N N J.

I was under the impression that W, Y and Z are all interchangeable as they are all above the electronic speed limiter anyway, so exceed the maximum possible speed of the car.

It's acceptable to fit a higher speed rating than the one specified, but not lower. Whether they are above the speed limiter max is not the issue, legality rests on what is the correct published rating for the vehicle.

Keep in mind that it's not only the speed rating that matters, the load rating does too. You can't fit a 91 if the specified load rating is a 94 (but I believe you can go up a rating)

Further to **** marks in the above post. This forum system did that -not me. It implies I wrote something rude - I did not and I find the intervention puerile and offensive.

So as to avoid they system the word I used was G O O K  - if that fails to get through it was the letters following F N N J.

Well, all I can say is that my visit to Briskoda this morning, while not expanding my vocabulary, has certainly added to my knowledge of word meanings. Perhaps like some others on this site, I was puzzled by the issue with the word which pog used.

However, a quick trip to good old Google.com soon revealed the reason - as they say, "you learn something new every day" !

Thanks to KSR for that.

I have now looked on Google as well and I had no idea I was being offensive to Koreans - absolutely none was intended - fine people and I offer my sincerest apologies. From now on in the word will be GUNGE. Fingers crossed that I am not offending anybody else.

Pog

It's acceptable to fit a higher speed rating than the one specified, but not lower. Whether they are above the speed limiter max is not the issue, legality rests on what is the correct published rating for the vehicle.

Keep in mind that it's not only the speed rating that matters, the load rating does too. You can't fit a 91 if the specified load rating is a 94 (but I believe you can go up a rating)

Yep, I know about the load ratings. But the CR170 requires Y rated tyres? Really, I'm surpised. It may have come with them, but that's an entirely different matter. Our Kia came with W rated ones, but the big sticker which shows tyre pressures for each size shows the minimum load and speed rating required for the car (VAG please start doing this too), which in our case was H.

Car is just 2 years old, mileage only 9,400.

I am quite elderly. Driving has always been very local up and down the A40

averaging about 12 miles each trip and many more very local.

No motorway trips.

Serviced today at local Skoda dealer, and was shocked to learn that both Continental front tyres were barely at legal limit.

Is this an unusually low mileage for these to wear out so soon?

I had the same issue with my 3.6. It will be two years old in October with under 10,000 miles. I do not drive carfully. though it was me. Hoped that this months issue of Evo magazine would produce a outright winner in the trye test. Even used our (3.6) tyre size. No great difference between the premier brands. The Continentals are good. Especially in the wet and the snow. Other than the mileage my only concern is the tyre squeal on what I consider to be modest right annle turns after breaking. All pressures correct and nitrogen filled.

• 10 months later...

My Superb 170 Elegance DSG estate is 17 months old and has cover 10,100 miles.  The Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres are down to the legal limit on the front and not far off the limit at the rear.  Just ordered a couple of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres which I will have put on the rear and the two partially worn Continentals transferred to the front.  I bought the car with 6,500 miles on the clock and have never been happy with the Continentals which have been terribly noisy, their wear rate is also appalling on the Superb. My previous cars have been big Volvos with 50 aspect tyres and 35,000 miles from a set of Michelins is what I usually got.

My Superb 170 Elegance DSG estate is 17 months old and has cover 10,100 miles.  The Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres are down to the legal limit on the front and not far off the limit at the rear.  Just ordered a couple of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres which I will have put on the rear and the two partially worn Continentals transferred to the front.  I bought the car with 6,500 miles on the clock and have never been happy with the Continentals which have been terribly noisy, their wear rate is also appalling on the Superb. My previous cars have been big Volvos with 50 aspect tyres and 35,000 miles from a set of Michelins is what I usually got.

I have 22K kms on my Sport Contact 2s and have already rotated them and although there may be another 10K kms on them (which I consider to be very poor anyway) I am seriously considering ditching them now.  Will be interesting to see how you get on with the Goodyears. Are you on 225/40/18s?

I have 22K kms on my Sport Contact 2s and have already rotated them and although there may be another 10K kms on them (which I consider to be very poor anyway) I am seriously considering ditching them now.  Will be interesting to see how you get on with the Goodyears. Are you on 225/40/18s?

Yes, I'm on 225/40/18s, the standard tyre for the Elegance in the UK. It will be a while before I can comment on how the Goodyear's wear, or whether they make a difference to fuel consumption, but I should soon see whether they give the car a more comfortable and quiet ride with the new tyres on the rear. I have always been very careful with tyre pressures having an accurate gauge and a foot pump. 

I have put Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 92W XL on my Skoda from the 92Y XL continentals that were on it, they are awesome, I would say without trying to sound an expert which I am not, you lose the top 3% of cornering (change of direction ability/ rigidity which I only put to use to just see how far it can be pushed, or basically in an emergency situation) but gain 50% on a much smoother (im not exaggerating) ride, 100% of the time, and quieter ride and much better wear, I have 10k on the front they look good for another 10-15k at least (continentals were looking about 2mm after 10k, but even if its only another 10k, I would have them for the comfort factor. My partner thinks it's transformed it from a Hardish Crashier ride, to an executive ride and this is just as a passenger in the front, she was amazed the difference a change of tyres made. Both sets inflated to 50% of the way between recommended Max, and Recommended Min. 2.7 Bar...  This is about right as 90% of my miles are with a load towing at times, and full load and roof box, as my daily mileage is only about 3 miles on my own. Tyre wear looked very even when I took them off, so I was happy with pressures.

I have drove top executive cars and I do feel like its has made an amazing difference, I think these cars are compromised in handling compared to BMW 5's obviously and even Audi A6's, but I think this car with the softer compound continentals and firmer ride make the car be driven harder than is necessary, even with 18" wheels the ride of this car now feels like it rides on 16" rims, which is nice as you go for these wheels for looks ... not performance, we are not on Need For Speed underground game here.

These tyres can be had for circa 100 per corner fitted... these are amazing... Goodyears all the way for me.

In terms of what I have reduced its the speed rating not the load rating, I have not reduced the rim size so the load rating does not need to be increased, like the 16" Superbs with 94 load ratings... rather than 92 ratings of the 18". Shoot me down if you don't like what you read but if you want a quiet smooth comfortable and efficient alternative to continentals, try them. They are great value and perfect in poor conditions,  the Continentals just didn't work in the snow, they were a JOKE in the snow to be honest, and I could easily spin them in the rain, before traction control decided enough was enough. Goodyears feel better by comparison in the rain, all my personal opinion obviously.

• Like 2

Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance are winter tyres (which I'm not knocking for year round use) but they will be softer and smoother due to the rubber being optimised for low temperatures. Trade off is winter tyres get a bit marshmallowy in the corners above 15C in my experience (Continental 830, Goodyear Vector 4Season). Never unsafe but just a strange, unpredictable feeling. Have to agree with MarkyB77 though, there is a serene smoothness when running on winter tyres. If it's any help the factory fit Pirelli Cinturato P7s fronts were replaced at 18500 miles on my 170 TDI manual.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this is the right place for this request for help/info!

My '62' reg Superb II SE Plus 2.0 TDI came with Dunlop 225/45/17/94W tyres. A month or two ago at the 20,000 mile service I asked for the tyres to be switched around to even the wear. However, an inner sidewall was found to be faulty on one of the rear tyres. So I asked for a new tyre to be fitted on the front and the other rear to be fitted on the front and fronts on the rear. The dealer fitted a Bridgestone 225/45/17/91Y I have since discovered. ( The 91Y was the surprising bit!)

The car has now covered 24,000 miles after a caravan holiday in France. The 3 original tyres will need replacing shortly. Can anyone recommend what I should replace them with?

Do I need to fit the same tyre on the same axle as the Bridgestone?

Is the load rating of 91 adequate, especially as I tow a caravan?

In the past I have had much better wear from Michelins (fitted as standard on my early Octavia Estates)

Any help/advice/suggestions would be welcome.

I was always told to ensure that you have the same tread pattern on the same axle - eg two same bridgestone on the front and two same michelins on the back. This presumably helps ensure that each side of your car performs in a similar way when loaded.

I'm not next to our Superb to check, but http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating thinks that I should have  "225/40R18 Y 92"  on our 2014 L&K. You could plug your reg into there and see what they think?

92 here. Stick your nearly new Bridgestone on eBay, and then get 4 matching GY efficient grip performance tyres. The only legal requirements are that you must fit tyres that are the correct type and size for your vehicle, and you cannot fit radial and cross-ply on the same axle. You can mix brands and tread patterns, although some manufacturers do not like it (eg porsche require same brand, tread and compound/accreditation "n" number on all 4 tyres).

Hope this is the right place for this request for help/info!

My '62' reg Superb II SE Plus 2.0 TDI came with Dunlop 225/45/17/94W tyres. A month or two ago at the 20,000 mile service I asked for the tyres to be switched around to even the wear. However, an inner sidewall was found to be faulty on one of the rear tyres. So I asked for a new tyre to be fitted on the front and the other rear to be fitted on the front and fronts on the rear. The dealer fitted a Bridgestone 225/45/17/91Y I have since discovered. ( The 91Y was the surprising bit!)

The car has now covered 24,000 miles after a caravan holiday in France. The 3 original tyres will need replacing shortly. Can anyone recommend what I should replace them with?

Do I need to fit the same tyre on the same axle as the Bridgestone?

Is the load rating of 91 adequate, especially as I tow a caravan?

In the past I have had much better wear from Michelins (fitted as standard on my early Octavia Estates)

Any help/advice/suggestions would be welcome.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them they've fitted the wrong tyre. They should be obliged to get you the right one for safety reasons as the 91 isn't rated for the weight of the car, should be 94. Also 'Y' rating is only good for 130mph which your car can exceed (I wonder does this invalidate your insurance?). Then get three more to match. Can recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy. 2 if you like grippy tyres.