Cam belt change CR170

I have leased cars, when they go for maintenance the cambelt is changed at 120k not 60-75k I was told the CR engine is a lot less hard on the cam belt as the PD engine, something to do with injectors.

I wonder if I've been quoted a replacement mileage based on a PD engine then. It's actually booked in tomorrow for this work and a new water pump.

I'll phone another dealer today and see what they think it is. And then Skoda themselves if I still have no definitive answer.

I don't want to be spending £370 for no reason!

What have other dealers advised? Is there any documentation to support the 120k figure?

Thanks for the replies.

It's in the service schedule

also the pd is 80k and 60 is another con by the dealer.

Why ask us if you don't believe us and already have it booked it.

It's well known that we all know more than these incompetent dealers.

Don’t forget that Škoda UK say 120K OR 4 years … whichever comes first, so yours is coming up to 4 years old.

(It is only in the UK where they recommend the change every 4 years)

Don’t forget that Škoda UK say 120K OR 4 years … whichever comes first

..or, which ever makes them the most money! in 4 years time I reckon I'll have covered about 15k in my car and there's no way I'm changing a belt at that mileage!

Is it not about time we bring skoda to task on this subject, and involve some type of media to get it in the public domain for all to see. why is it only SUK that are saying the 4 years thing and not the rest of Europe, then let them bring the proof to the table that shows why they have changed the belt schedule to make it different to the rest of Europe. I had mine done with the water pump about a year ago as the car turned 4, just before i had it done i was looking to trade it in and two different garages asked if the belt had been done. both reduced the the offer fot trade in. that was one of the reasons i didn't order a new octavia, felt like SUK was sticking right up where the sun don't shine, or in others word's, i was in the huff lol.

Sorry, I should have said I had it booked in in my first post. It's not that I don't believe you all, it's just that there are lots of different figures banded around and I wanted clarification. I want to stick to the recommendations from the manufacturer and so my question was really what those recommendations are.

After being told by D M Keith in Huddersfield that it was 60,000 miles or 4 years at my last service, I booked in as I had just gone over that. I spotted a different figure and wanted to clarify. I've just phoned Skoda UK who advise me that it is 110,000 miles or 4 years - only advisory with age. That's different again from the 120,000 that others have been advised but that is for my specific engine.

I have cancelled my appointment now and told the dealer I wasn't best impressed at the inconsistent figures they are advising customers. I shall have the work done at four years old in a few months.

On the age issue, maybe Skoda have a valid reason for differences between the UK and the continent but I agree it would be good to see some supporting evidence.

Thanks for all of your replies, I hope this thread helps others with the same query.

Dan

Edited by danrooke

Just done the one on our CR170 Superb at 60k /4 year point , it was due a service and id rather not take the risk, I got an indie to do it with oem parts cost me £650 along with a full service, mot , air con service and brake fluid change

I saw the old belt and I wouldnt have been comfortable knowing it was on the car for another 60k

I didnt change the water pump though even though a Skoda dealer told me it needed it as the indie said it wasnt needed

Water pump isn't 'necessary' to do at the 4 year stage but if you don't,you are then asking it go 8 years. If it fails in between time the cam belt will have to come off to change the water pump. Then you get into the realms of you shouldn't refit a used belt,which means either a new belt or 'kit' ahead of schedule. So for the sake of a few quid more it's advisable to just do the water pump every time the cam belt kit is done.

No that's true but its unlikely to be my problem , I keep my cars about 6 years which was longer than I felt comfortable leaving the belt, but if the belt is meant to last 120k then the water pump should easily

Am I right in thinking that I have read on here a few times that the CR has a belt made by continental that continental say is a life time belt?

Am I right in thinking that I have read on here a few times that the CR has a belt made by continental that continental say is a life time belt?

I think you're right there, but it's not so much the belt you have to worry about........it's the tensioner, rollers and studs they are mounted on. I think one of these breaking is a more common mode of failure.....certainly on PD engines.

• Like 1

I think you're right there, but it's not so much the belt you have to worry about........it's the tensioner, rollers and studs they are mounted on. I think one of these breaking is a more common mode of failure.....certainly on PD engines.

And getting at the water pump I suppose! I would never leave same belt in forever or put same one back on if it's been out, it's rude not to change it. Just don't like the fact that Skoda are such morons when it comes to this interval stuff. :(

just don't like the fact that Skoda are such morons when it comes to this interval stuff.

I know, that's a whole other story. It's not even just Skoda....the whole VAG group have different intervals for the same engine in different parts of the world. Bit of a joke really.