Clumbsy Yeti went lame.

RickT

Its the second time this has happened, he trod on something he should'nt have.

On both the occasions when I've noticed something something shiny stuck in the same tyre, Is it a nail or a screw? a magnet proves it was steel so I tried to pull it out but it would'nt budge. The magnet still clung on more than an inch in one direction from the point of entry.

I could now recognise it was a screw and it has gone along the tread just under the surface. Partially unscrewed it and removed it then lashed the tyre with soapy water, The tyre was not leaking but on such a cold day my head was leaking beads of sweat whilst wondering if I was going to get away with it.

Very lucky again, I do have a spare wheel and at this rate I may need it soon.

I hope not.

I know how you feel, I have always had vehicles with spare wheels and I am concerned the gunk will not do it's job, and from earlier commemts, when used, could mean shelling out for a new tyre. I purchased one of these from ebay. Apparently pull out nail/screw. Find repair size nearest size of hole, dip in the solution, push into tyre, it then expands a little and seals the hole. Hope I do not have to try it, but I feel a little more secure.

Link as follows: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynaplug-Tubeless-Tyre-Repair-Kit-for-MOTORCYLE-MOTORBIKE-SCOOTER-QUAD-/110935138117?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Jon whilst that kit might work, I am not sure about the legallity of using it. I note they actually don't include cars in their description or title. It might be worth checking.

I questioned that when I looked to buy and was assured the kit I got was for cars. It will repair holes up to 1/4 inch and their USA site actually claims you can continue running on it without a proper repair although personally I would limp to a tyre centre straight away. This is the actual manufacturers site where they say suitable for car tyre repairs http://www.dynaplug.com/ I think on a cold or rainy night on a busy road it adds a little security

I just have a little niggle in the back of my mind that these kits aren't actually legal in the UK or the EU, but can't remember where it was mentioned. Certainly they don't appear to be E marked or else the advertiser would have said so.

I suspect as a "get-u-home" they should be OK, but not something I would totally trust.

I have repaired many tubeless punctures in a former life and I know the rules were constantly changing. The rules as I understood them more recently were that only a certain area of the tread could be plugged (a fairly narrowish band on flat area of tread) and we always had to remove the tyre and insert a 'mushroom' type plug from the inside out using a cold vulcanising type adhesive. I would be very reluctant to 'repair' a 1/4 inch hole with one of these kits or any puncture at all!

I shudder to think of how we used to repair tubeless tyres when they first became popular with all manner of of plugs and string like stuff that was simply pushed in from the outside with no restriction on the size of puncture repaired. :o

• Like 1

I just have a little niggle in the back of my mind that these kits aren't actually legal in the UK or the EU, but can't remember where it was mentioned. Certainly they don't appear to be E marked or else the advertiser would have said so.

I suspect as a "get-u-home" they should be OK, but not something I would totally trust.

The RAC used this sort of kit on my car when the mother of all bolts went into the rear tyre.

The RAC guy said it was a "get you home, next morning get you to the tyre man" solution.

It also wasn't suitable for going above 50mph.

I don't think i'd trust it for more than that.

Edited by AlleyCat`

As people have mentioned the rules change. BMW used to flog the plugging kits for their tubeless kitted bikes. Included a trio of CO2 cartridges too. Not sure if they still offer them now, although they are still available elsewhere.

The plug blowing out can't be worse than a tubed tyre going, can it? For non bikers and those too young to remember tubes, this is a deeply moving (in the lower regions) experience.

Last time I had to fix one, it was using a mushroom type from the inside.

No idea what actual laws govern what an individual can or can't do (as opposed to what a commercial tyre repairer can do) but the urban anecdotes seem to be along the lines of an 'on the wheel' repair attempt is OK in an emergency but prosecution is possible for subsequently driving at an inappropriate speed / distance - think it's a grey area.

Personally, not a fan of these 'tyre string' types - I always carry Stop & Go kits on my bikes (mushroom type) & will always carry one in my new (no spare) Yeti

http://www.stopngo.com/

Edit: Though, for the price, I might tuck away a string-type somewhere aswell (boot & braces & all that)

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

On the continent it's mandatory to carry all sorts of kit - spare light bulbs, hi vis jacket, first aid kit, breathalyser (2), fire extinguisher and so on. For the life of me I cannot understand why an usable spare tyre is not required by law. Likewise I have difficulty in the mindset of a driver who embarks on any journey solely reliant on a repair kit and the very real possibility of calling on the services of the AA/RAC when the kit proves to be inadequate.

Perhaps it's a generation thing but it defies logic not to have a spare.

• Like 2

On the continent it's mandatory to carry all sorts of kit - spare light bulbs, hi vis jacket, first aid kit, breathalyser (2), fire extinguisher and so on. For the life of me I cannot understand why an usable spare tyre is not required by law. Likewise I have difficulty in the mindset of a driver who embarks on any journey solely reliant on a repair kit and the very real possibility of calling on the services of the AA/RAC when the kit proves to be inadequate.

As a member of the "senior" generation I actually find that comment quite insulting.

I do not have a spare wheel and to be honest it is not something that bothers me. Tempting fate possibly, but I actually cannot remember when I last had a puncture. Certainly not since we moved to Llani, and that is nearly 10 years ago. If the worst happens then it is a phone call to Britannia Rescue and they can sort it out. That's what I pay my membership fee for. And if I was on a motorway there is no way at all I'd be even attempting to change a wheel, if I had one. Much too dangerous!

If you follow your arguement to it's logical extreme are you going to make all the cars that have absolutely no provision to carry a spare wheel illegal? That would be anything from a Smart to a Porsche, and several current Fords.

I'm afraid you had better check on the items now needed in Europe as that list is now out of date. France has apparently "set aside" the requirements for the breathalysers for now. Certainly no country in Europe insists of the provision of a spare.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Didn't realise that people still used the phrase "On the continent". One step up from "Abroad" I suppose.

I think we should celebrate the fact that we have the freedom to choose which spares we carry (whether that be spare tyres or spare clutch plates), or whether we choose to use the services of a roadside assistance / recovery firm.

I can see the logic behind, for example, the French law regarding spare bulbs, as it could improve public safety by encouraging drivers to change blown bulbs at the roadside, rather than soldiering on. However, for such a law to be truly effective, it really needs to be accompanied by:

1. The mandation of bulb failure warning systems, and
  2. The prevention of it's favourite national car manufacturers from building cars that need to go up on a ramp & have their bumpers removed in order to change a headlight bulb

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

As a member of the "senior" generation I actually find that comment quite insulting.

I do not have a spare wheel and to be honest it is not something that bothers me. Tempting fate possibly, but I actually cannot remember when I last had a puncture. Certainly not since we moved to Llani, and that is nearly 10 years ago. If the worst happens then it is a phone call to Britannia Rescue and they can sort it out. That's what I pay my membership fee for. And if I was on a motorway there is no way at all I'd be even attempting to change a wheel, if I had one. Much too dangerous!

If you follow your arguement to it's logical extreme are you going to make all the cars that have absolutely no provision to carry a spare wheel illegal? That would be anything from a Smart to a Porsche, and several current Fords.

I'm afraid you had better check on the items now needed in Europe as that list is now out of date. France has apparently "set aside" the requirements for the breathalysers for now. Certainly no country in Europe insists of the provision of a spare.

Re the French bulb thing:

I know we Skoda drivers are a special case, but for drivers of lesser vehicles, changing some of the bulbs can be a workshop job. Like many examples of legislation, the lawmakers have little understanding of technology and even less of the ways in which technology evolves. Not to mention their inertia of black hole proportions with respect to changing, updating or scrapping stupid and out dated inappropriate legislation.

WRT the legality controversy, I would have thought a plug would be no worse than slime as a get you home measure? Is this a case of legislators accepting data from an interested party?

I did use a sealant some time ago, when it was sold as a puncture preventative, however a pressure check at an air line which was contaminated with water (yup, I did blow it out first) caused the gloop to solidify and send the wheel into an uncontrolable and un-ridable out of balance condition. Fortunately the next small town was able to provide a new tube to get me home.

I questioned that when I looked to buy and was assured the kit I got was for cars. It will repair holes up to 1/4 inch and their USA site actually claims you can continue running on it without a proper repair although personally I would limp to a tyre centre straight away. This is the actual manufacturers site where they say suitable for car tyre repairs http://www.dynaplug.com/ I think on a cold or rainy night on a busy road it adds a little security

Wow cool!! I think I prefer to use this than gunk. All the years I rode bikes never saw this kit, doh!!!

One question I have on the subject of gunk? If you use this can the tyre be repaired later? I always wondered about this.

OK onto Amazon I go since they sell them in the UK...

BR

JeZ

One question I have on the subject of gunk? If you use this can the tyre be repaired later? I always wondered about this.

BR

JeZ

According to my local independent tyreman, it depends on exactly what sealant was used, but most need washing out with warm water but it can be messy. He will do it, but many of the bigger chains will not.

Read into that what you will..................

According to my local independent tyreman, it depends on exactly what sealant was used, but most need washing out with warm water but it can be messy. He will do it, but many of the bigger chains will not.

Read into that what you will..................

Thanks for the info. I think that means I'm going to get one of these kits, to be honest I think I would trust them more ;-) I don't fancy a spare tyre, which I'm with you on the need for a spare....

BR

JeZ

Thanks for the info. I think that means I'm going to get one of these kits, to be honest I think I would trust them more ;-) I don't fancy a spare tyre, which I'm with you on the need for a spare....

BR

JeZ

I you are going to use one of these kits then they are only a get you home solution and not designed for long term use.

A proper vulcanised mushroom repair should be done as soon as possible.

The no glue kits are a good option as many tyre fitters won't repair a tyre that has had the glop in it.

They also don't like the blue glop from the o ring type plugs.

I've used one of the Stop n Go kits a few times on a motorbike with good results.

I you are going to use one of these kits then they are only a get you home solution and not designed for long term use.

A proper vulcanised mushroom repair should be done as soon as possible.

The no glue kits are a good option as many tyre fitters won't repair a tyre that has had the glop in it.

They also don't like the blue glop from the o ring type plugs.

I've used one of the Stop n Go kits a few times on a motorbike with good results.

I looked up a few web sites and ordered a crafty one:

http://craftyplugger.com/

Obviously no review will be forthcoming till I test it!! Well I'm hoping not to test it really.

Br

JeZ

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

On a slightly different note.

When I used to ride in motorcycle enduro events I had Mousses fitted in the tyres.

For those not knowing, Mousses are a solid foam rubber inserts like a pre inflated innertube.

They are designed for competion but not for highway use only because they've not been tested or E marked.

It is impossible to suffer a puncture and so they can only improve safety.

Not a new idea they have been fitted in mobile cranes, manlifts, forktrucks and bulldozers for decades.

I also know some people who experimented with tennis balls in their tyres (not a cheap idea as you needed about 40 balls in just a front tyre) so if you did get a puncture it would only be 1 ball instead of a full innertube. This idea can't be anywhere close to being legal but would be safer.

If only we could get yhem for cars. :D

I went spareless for the first time in October 2010 when I bought this car. Convinced myself that I hadn't had a puncture in almost 20yrs; never had a spare on my motorcycles. Every puncture I ever had was picked up through routine pressure checks at home. So who needs a spare?

In the 27k miles and 30months since then I have had 2 punctures!

1. Left office at 5 O'clock - it was raining hard. Rear offside tyre was flat to the rim! Followed the instructions. No gunk yet! Pumped up the tyre with the compressor - did it inflate within 10 minutes? Yes took about 5 - is the pressure holding? - waited 10 minutes without noticeable drop. Set off to nearest tyre repair centre stopping on the way to check the pressure. Got there, tyre fixed and on my way. I accept I was lucky - I wouldn't have been happy out in the sticks at 3 in the morning! Plus - I couldn't wait until next morning or drop the tyre off and pick it up later - I had to wait. That is the real pita! BUT If I had had a spare I would have got soaking wet through changing the wheel instead of sitting in the dry while the compressor did its stuff.
  2. Very slow puncture in front off-side- about 0.5 bar in a week. Needed new front tyres shortly so just replaced both fronts.

Will my next car have a spare? YES!! (Probably!)

I think there is some misunderstanding about the gunk and whether it effectively writes off the tyre. My understanding is that if the puncture is bad enough to NEED the gunk, the tyre is probably a write-off anyway. So it is the puncture, not the gunk that writes off the tyre.

Liz came without a spare. I've always had spare tyres before, and the horror stories about how difficult the gunk is to use, the difficulties of getting the tyre cleaned etc, and an offer from my local dealer have convinced me the gunk is not for me. Liz is going in to have a spare wheel retrofitted on Friday.