Start problem & Battery Drain

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem

Over the post couple of days I've had a problem with my car where it would not start, not even a click when you turn the key or a light when you turn the lights on.

Its as if there is no battery connected what so ever.

The first time this happened I opened the bonnet and noticed a wurrring sound coming from a black box at the front of the engine.

I disconnected the battery and the sound stopped. I left it off for about 30 minutes and reconnected the lead and the sound did not come back. I then put jump leads on it from another car and left it like that for about 10 minutes. The car started on the first turn of the key.

It seems that something is running after I turn the car off and walk away. It could be the altenator but I'm not sure.

I feel my only option (until I get to a garage) is to disconnect the battery every night until this problem is fixed.

I'm at my wits end with this problem now, has anyone got any idea as to what is causing this problem and why parts are still working even though the car is off and the key is out????

Edited by DubFlyer

Probably either a fan taht keeps running all the time or the battery is toast.

Try charging it and seeing how far you get.

Once the problem stops the car starts fine and running fine.

Its just that something is running under the bonnet when its off and I think that's what's causing the problem. Sometimes when I disconnect the battery for a half an hour then reconnect it the spinning sound came back on before I even tried to start it.

UPDATE:

I had the battery replaced yesterday evening (€80.00)

Car started and I got it home.

I came out this morning to go to work and absolutely nothing out of it. Its like the car's computer is taking a hissy fit as to when it wants to work.

When I opened the driver door (by the key) there was a fast clicking coming from the dashboard but there was no lights on at all.

Can't figure this problem out.

My mrs' focus has a similar issue. The diagnostic indicated injector issues but i think there is more to it and yet to find out exactly what the full extent is. Can you get it on vcds and get it scanned??

If you think the alternator was running with the engine stopped it is probably best to get some one who knows to have a look. There are myriad possibilities, not so many probabilities, but us lot randomly guessing is not going to cure the bacon.

I would have charged the battery properly first to see how quick the discharge is, or determine whether the battery is U/S or not.

A battery which spend most of its life at full charge will last longer than one fitted to a vehicle which only does short runs. Lots of heavy duty discharge and no mile to replace it.

My last battery started to fail at about 11 years, but spent its entire life doing a 25 mile traffic free dual carriageway commute.

The alternator can't turn when the engine is off - the belt drive will stop it.

One possible way to track down the culprit for the mystery whirring noise might be to pull and replace fuses until you pull one that stops the noise, then identify what that circuit is serving.

sounds like an earth to me, if relays are clicking and it does wierd stuff and intermitent usually something to do with a bad earth

Edited by stedee

• 2 months later...

Well, just to give you an update.

The car was running fine up until this morning. I went out to start it and it was completely dead, not a pip out of it.

It got a new battery 2 months ago and my mechanic said he found a short in the system and he fixed it. :sweat:

So the question is, why is the problem back.

Going to take it to a skoda dealer to see if they can find the issue.