Steaming up and dirty sills

crazyash88

Having driven my Citigo for over 300 miles since picking it up I've noticed it keeps steaming up when I'm driving. This is my first car so any advise on how to stop it steaming up when driving as its becoming harder to drive.

Also I've noticed all 4 door sills have dirt on them. Does anyone else have this issue as never heard of this on other cars. I know the car will get more dirtier in the snowy weather and with all the salt around I know things get more dirty. I was just wondering if its normal for dirty sills.

Does the citygo have a recycling setting on the heater/air con? that way you'll be re-heating the air already inside the car which should be better than taking fresh cold damp air from outside- I assume you're using the heater set towards the screen/top vents?

You can also get dehumidifier crystals from asda for about £1 for a small plastic container full which Octy owners use to reduce overall dampness inside the car.

As far as the sills are concerned, yes they'll get muddy unfortunatly. Has it got mudflaps fitted? if not I'd suggest you get proper Skoda ones as the 'universal' ones never fit! You'd have to find out about prices from your dealer but expect to pay about 345 front and rear or £25 for the fronts (based on what I've paid for Octy ones)

cheers

The air distribution slider (under the fan speed switch) needs to be left.

Ours is 1 wk old with 300 miles too and also has dirty inner sills. Just the design/location of the rubber seal. Therefore looks normal to me.

I've set the heat dial to windscreen. I do have a slider but even the handbook doesn't make clear what this does. I also have a button with a symbol, it looks like @ (from the top of my head). Is this the air supply you mean.

Nope I don't have flaps fitted. Was thinking if getting sill guards fitted but ill wait until I fit flaps I think. Time for more buying

If it's steaming up when driving, make sure you haven't left the heater on recirculate. That will cause it to happen pretty quickly.

Sliding knob under the fan/heat controls - left is external, right is recirculate. Leave it at the left.

Yeah, the sills get dirty, which has also happened in every other car I've ever had too.

Edited by Mike Wrightson

The dealer left it on the right. The dealer may have told me it should have been on the right but I was excited about picking my first car up I have properly forgot what they Said.

Looks like its time to spend more money on the beast and make her a little bit cleaner.

It also doesn't help to leave snow around the bottom of the windscreen. I found this out last night and my windows steamed up. I usually clear around there before setting off but forgot.

Mick

There's a warning panel in the manual that says ...

"You should not leave recirculated air mode on over a longer period of time, as “stale” air may result in fatigue in the driver and occupants, divert your attention and also cause the windows to mist up. The risk of having an accident increases. Switch recirculated air mode off as soon as the windows begin misting up."

There are other factors that cause the windows to mist up.

Is your clothing wet.

Perspiration, sometimes I get a sweaty back if I have a waterproof coat on and I have been driving for a long period.

Make sure the vents in the dash panel are angled in such a way that they direct air at the side windows.

Use max heat and direct air to just the windscreen initially.

As others have said, remove any snow / ice from windows, this will also prevent condensation.

Don't forget air con if you have it fitted as this will remove a fair bit of the moisture in the air? but not below 2-4 deg C

If you mean the switch with the @ (similar) on the top left hand of the centre console then it's your stop start deactivation button

I have mud flaps fitted and still get the muck on the outer lip of the sills. I also have sill protectors but they only fit on the top flat part of the sills not the bottom?

I find leaving the blower on set at a cool temperature stops this. I've also never had an issue in the Octavia, unlike some people.

However my fabia suffers badly from this due to leaking rear doors.

Keeping well ventilated is the key.

I've had my Citigo seven months now and can honestly say that I have never had any problem with window misting at all. I always have fresh air selected, the blower set on 2, with the windscreen option selected, as well as having the side vents pointed at the side windows. No matter what the weather, I don't get any misting issues. If I was having the problems some people seem to be having, I would be concerned that there was a leak somewhere in the car.

Does the citygo have a recycling setting on the heater/air con? that way you'll be re-heating the air already inside the car which should be better than taking fresh cold damp air from outside-

cheers

That's wrong I'm afraid. You need it do draw fresh air from outside to keep condensation down.

• Like 1