Money saving service

My 2011 Octavia 1.6Mpi is due it's 2nd year service which I think is the Skoda dealer £249 one? So I have a few questions before I book her in.

1. I assume the dealer is the best place to take it to? but.. can an independent offer me a better deal and would I keep the full skoda history?

2. I think my brake pads are wearing, I get a grating feeling from the pedal and noise when braking at low speeds. Is it best to purchase the pads and have a local garage fit them before I take it for a service? I think skoda fixed price is £69 rear & £99 front.

Car is on around 19,000 miles and had no problems so far.

Thanks for assistance.

You can't go to an indy and keep your full dealer history. You'll have Full Service History.

Can you get a better deal? Yes, but indy won't do any recalls so do some research to see if anything is due.

19k sounds a little soon for pads or disks unless you drive like a maniac. I changed mine at 60k and they still had wear in them and that's on a VRS.

My suggestion would be to stay with the dealer until your warranty is up. You don't invalidate your warranty by going to an indy (as long as he's VAT registered and uses OEM parts) but it'll be easier to claim if you stick with the dealer.

19K is to soon for disks / pads. My MK2 Superb was on 44K miles using original disks and pads. Likewise the MK2 Octavia I had before that was sold on 99K miles still running on original disks and pads.

Phone local skoda dealers for quotes, since they are franchises and have varying labour rates you can sometimes save by phoning around.

My local dealer wanted around the same figure for the identical service. I explained that he was too expensive and I would not be paying that much for what amounts to an oil and filter change plus a superficial inspection. Net result £186.77 including VAT, parts and fluids. Oh - tell him that you don't want screenwash, otherwise they will charge you for an expensive 1 Ltr even though it might already be full - they might also try to extract a little more for an air con service and/or pollen filter neither of which you need. They know every way of getting your money so watch them!

Oh - tell him that you don't want screenwash, otherwise they will charge you for an expensive 1 Ltr even though it might already be full

The buggers just stuck a new one in the boot and billed me for it when I did that.

If you stick with a main dealer you will also find that Skoda UK will be far more likely to make a contribution to any future repair bill for components that fail out of the guarantee period.

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Edited by Its me

Don't forget the "1/4L antifreeze", "fastener, misc" and "bulb".

In warrantee? Official dealer. Say "no windscreen wash, no pollenfilter, no aurfilter, no bulbs or antifreeze. Just oil, filter and inspection. Anything needs attention call me, i won't pay unsanctioned work!"

Out of warrantee? Buy the Haynes manual, do your oilchange yourself. Find a good indy for bigger jobs.

I'm on 56,000miles and brake pads were less than half worn. I'd stick to a main dealer while the 3 year warranty is in force for the full backing of Skoda. After that I'd think of a change. But my local Skoda dealer offers allegedly cheaper deals for servicing older cars ie ones out of warranty!