PC sues garage owner

moley

When I was in the police I chased someone down a car park and over an 8ft drop at the end into the overgrown wasteland below. Fortunately I managed grab hold of him as we fell and used him to cushion the impact. It still hurt a lot more than tripping over a curb, but making a claim never crossed my mind.

Apparently it looked quite comical.

• Like 3

Does The Force not have any employers insurance?

You have to bear in mind that most of the activities breach health and safety regs and would be un-unsureable! There is the CICA but its like getting blood out of a stone!

Does The Force not have any employers insurance?

No. They are one of the Public Bodies specifically excluded from the Employers Liability Compulsary Insurance Act.

Claims are paid out of public funds - you, me and the rest of us in other words.

"Kelly loves her job and accepts the many risks she faces. But she does not accept that simply because her job is inherently dangerous that public places are absolved from ensuring that their premises are safe to visit." - I think I will sue her for making me laugh so bad my ribs are hurting, I will have to take 12 weeks off to recover (isn't there a dance fecstival somewhere warm at his time of the year?) and then I will claim further compensation due to the unreasonable levels of stress the whole palava cuased me...

The point being missed here is that we have a legal system which allows for such behaviour. Any law firm pursuing such a claim should be instantly struck off, claim rejected by any sane magistrate and such claimant sentenced for abuse of legal system, disrespect to the law and bringing disrepute to the Police Force (not interested in properly naming all those things in case some semantics police feels the urge). Do these people (solicitors and that claimant scum) have absolutely no moral backbone?!?

@jon_woo - like every job sector, there are some bruised apples, who are in general a minority.

When i started doing the 1st aiders course for work, it was asked in the class about assisting injured public outside the workplace, & was advised not to be afraid to use the learned skill, subsequently the question came up about causing injury, while say doing CPR as it is not uncommon to break ribs.

The response was that as far as they knew no one had been sued for saving someones life & any sane judge would throw out any case like this, it was a sad indicement of society today that this question had to be asked in the 1st place.

@jon_woo - like every job sector, there are some bruised apples, who are in general a minority.

When i started doing the 1st aiders course for work, it was asked in the class about assisting injured public outside the workplace, & was advised not to be afraid to use the learned skill, subsequently the question came up about causing injury, while say doing CPR as it is not uncommon to break ribs.

The response was that as far as they knew no one had been sued for saving someones life & any sane judge would throw out any case like this, it was a sad indicement of society today that this question had to be asked in the 1st place.

Over here First Aiders are protected by the Good Samaritan Act

http://www.bclaws.ca...ide/00_96172_01

I was in the insurance fraud investigation industry for 8 years prior to emmigrating and was involved with many petty claims such as this, it is unlikley that even if the claim makes it as far as the courtroom that she'll get more than a couple of grand out of it. The claim will be filed under "occupational hazard" and compensation will reflect that, from my experience (many cases of which were petty claims from claims direct vultures) the "negligence" claim would have to prove that the landowner was "deliberatlely negligent", as long as his premises was correctly lit and relevant hazards marked, of which regular kerbstones as pictured are not generally included, to industry standards then there is little chance of a successful claim. Not to mention that it could take months or even years for her claim to get that far and in the meantime the insurance company will use that time to "collect evidence" ;) , which is where I used to step in..... :notme:

Edited by m17rkj

I've also done first aid training and the question came up if you can be sued by the person you're trying to help (or their family). We were told that if the person is either unconscious or accepts an invitation for aid then it is incredibly unlikely for them to successfully claim against you and the court would almost certainly throw it out as it is not in the public interest to pursue. We were told too, though, that we cannot force someone to accept assistance. If they are unable to communicate, you can make a 'reasonable decision based on common sense' on their behalf.

Our instructor was also pretty brutally honest and said that we should do our best with CPR, but it is highly likely the person will die anyway and not to be disheartened and keep trying anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

When I was in the police I chased someone down a car park and over an 8ft drop at the end into the overgrown wasteland below. Fortunately I managed grab hold of him as we fell and used him to cushion the impact. It still hurt a lot more than tripping over a curb, but making a claim never crossed my mind.

Apparently it looked quite comical.

Glad there's a few like you and Jon left. We're getting used to seeing a van full of plod spending the last 20 minutes before shift change parked up on the farm where our unit is (well known phone blackspot.... probably the same for radios at a guess, and nice and local for getting back to HQ for knocking off).

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 1

I just saw the tail end of this story, so I'm not sure if the guy being interviewed was referring to the WPC or the legal firm representing her. He said "you know when people really hate you when they not only fling excrement at you property, but they set fire to it first".

I've also done first aid training and the question came up if you can be sued by the person you're trying to help (or their family). We were told that if the person is either unconscious or accepts an invitation for aid then it is incredibly unlikely for them to successfully claim against you and the court would almost certainly throw it out as it is not in the public interest to pursue. We were told too, though, that we cannot force someone to accept assistance. If they are unable to communicate, you can make a 'reasonable decision based on common sense' on their behalf.

Our instructor was also pretty brutally honest and said that we should do our best with CPR, but it is highly likely the person will die anyway and not to be disheartened and keep trying anyway.

6% chance of getting them back by CPR alone last time I refreshed. You do it in the hope that you keep enough oxygen to the brain while an ambulance gets there.

To be fair, CPR's pretty good at stopping things getting worse for short amounts of time, but don't believe Hollywood, they're not going to jump up and run back into battle with you.