Octavia 3 sports suspension

Hi Pumatron! I've got the same dilemma! I'm in a process of purchase of the new Octavia, except my wheels will be alaris 18 inch. Customer service(and I've insisted for correct info) replied that the car will be 20mm lower and firmer. How much firmer they can't say. The gaps are horrible and I would like the car to look great when it has 18 inch wheels on. What's the point of 18 inch wheels if not? Handling will be just the same as on 17 inch wheels. My only fear is that the car will be so firm I will have to think twice before moving my car out of the driveway. I'm ordering my car tomorrow. What have you decided?

Hi Pumatron! I've got the same dilemma! I'm in a process of purchase of the new Octavia, except my wheels will be alaris 18 inch. Customer service(and I've insisted for correct info) replied that the car will be 20mm lower and firmer. How much firmer they can't say. The gaps are horrible and I would like the car to look great when it has 18 inch wheels on. What's the point of 18 inch wheels if not? Handling will be just the same as on 17 inch wheels. My only fear is that the car will be so firm I will have to think twice before moving my car out of the driveway. I'm ordering my car tomorrow. What have you decided?

See if you can find a mk2 sport or elegance with the 17" pegasus upgrade to try as it should be similar.

Mrs used to hate ours as too hard until she had a loan octavia with std 16s and suspension and said how sloppy it felt compared to ours.

I'm buying an Octavia as I need a comfortable, relaxing car for my 80 miles per day round trip commute. To me, sports suspension in an Octavia is a bit if a contradiction, it isn't a sports car, doesn't pretend to be a sports car so aesthetics would be the only logical reason to specify it. If you want a more sporty Octavia, that's what the VRS is all about, surely?

Edited by Timoctav

I'm wondering in this day and age why they can't implement a suspension system that's both comfortable and stylish? Do the springs really have to be so high for comfort?

There are such suspensions - but they are very expensive. These are the active, sophisticated, electronically controlled systems fitted to cars such as Audi and Porsche. This would probably add at an absolute minimum of £2k - £3k to the price of an Octavia - which are meant to be comparatively inexpensive cars! But they are brilliant.

In a nutshell, if this is important, rather than buy a new Skoda, choose a used prestige brand with this fitted.

There are such suspensions - but they are very expensive. These are the active, sophisticated, electronically controlled systems fitted to cars such as Audi and Porsche. This would probably add at an absolute minimum of £2k - £3k to the price of an Octavia - which are meant to be comparatively inexpensive cars! But they are brilliant.

In a nutshell, if this is important, rather than buy a new Skoda, choose a used prestige brand with this fitted.

You can get "Active Chassis Control" on the Golf Mk7 for £795, therefore you definitely could have it on an Octavia Mk3 - I was annoyed that you could not specify it, as I would probably gone for it. It is only £750 on the 3 series by the way - or £680 on an A4.

You can get "Active Chassis Control" on the Golf Mk7 for £795, therefore you definitely could have it on an Octavia Mk3 - I was annoyed that you could not specify it, as I would probably gone for it. It is only £750 on the 3 series by the way - or £680 on an A4.

You also get a much more sophisticated suspension on the Golf - perhaps the Golf's ACC only works on that suspension and not the more basic torsion beam set up we've got on the Octavia so far. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it is not available on the VRS when it is released.

Edited by Timoctav

Just after looking at Skoda.ie - they've done a bit more tinkering with their own configurator and adding the sports suspension has a little animation showing the car lowering somewhat. Looks well with Race Blue, Chrome Strips and the Lowered Suspension!

Think logically - how often do you look at the gap in the wheel arches? It isn't bad! But spec the sports suspension and the harder ride you will notice all the time you drive the car - especially combined with 18" wheels and on UK's broken roads. I wouldn't 't do it. You'd be better waiting for the VRS than trying to make an Octavia something it isn 't - a sports car. The more sophisticated multi link suspension in that car would do a far better job of it, especially if the Golf's adaptive suspension is offered.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1

Just to confirm from reading the techincal data in the manual.

Basic dimensions for height

Hatch is 1461 estate is 1465

Vehicles with rough road package

Hatch is 1476 estate is 1480

Vehicles with SPORT package

Hatch is 1446 estate is 1450

So a drop of 15mm on the sport

Details take from http://ws.skoda-auto...wnersManual.pdf

Just to confirm from reading the techincal data in the manual.

Basic dimensions for height

Hatch is 1461 estate is 1465

Vehicles with rough road package

Hatch is 1476 estate is 1480

Vehicles with SPORT package

Hatch is 1446 estate is 1450

So a drop of 15mm on the sport

Details take from http://ws.skoda-auto...wnersManual.pdf

Great research! I wonder if the vRS will get sport suspension as standard? I seem to recall that the MKII vRS was 20mm lower than other models (and that wasn't low enough IMHO!)

• 2 weeks later...

So, handbooks conflict skoda UK? As been previously said, someone's got to take the plunge and just order it, and let us all know.????

I have ordered sports suspension on mine, and it has just landed at the dealers

Been to have a look and there is about a 6 inch wheelarch gap, but still has protection on bodywork so must still have the chocks in the springs.

Will post a pic when I collect it next week.

• Like 1

Im definately getting old as all this talk of sports suspension sends shivers through my spine. Literally. I know i have a vrs but it feels so much softer than my msport bmw. I would actually pay more for comfort suspension but i admit cars do look better lower. Just not too low. I wouldnt dream of specifying harder suspension nowadays although around 800 quid for adjustable suspension sounds a bargain.