Canton Sound System: pointless?

Pah! Just do what I did, order your new car and tell SWMBO that you've ordered it and deal with it. I added the options I wanted. SWMBO didn't get a say. The only gripe she had was the badge snobbery. That's a different story though....

She is very laid back about car ordering really, lets me do what I want, but I had two brand new vRS's within 12 months recently, so in a way she is right about maybe waiting a few months, yet I have told her that even with an order now we wont see it til December/January time anyway.....!!!

As stated before Canton is the best option I got. I am in love with it. Not sure how to test noise cancelling but if you reffer to the fact if I have windows down the outside noise is not compensated at all...  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

the standard audio system is average.

I have the Amundsen system with sat nav.

Have the volume on max when playing music- seems to be capped quite low to eliminate distortion so should have a higher output than 20w per channel IMHO

Edited by carrock

• 1 year later...

I only add flac files and I think the canton system sounds pretty good. I have the sub cranked to 7 or 8, but at that level I find it well balanced with the system.

But as andyvee says, the file format/quality is one of the key things to get the system sounding it's best.

Finally got around to playing some FLAC files through the Canton/Columbus set up in my VRS today.

Makes so much difference to sound quality (if that's the right term)?

Compared to the same song on standard MP3 format, you seem to be able to push the system a bit more without distortion.

Edited by N700DLE
  • Like 1

But if you feed it a crap audio source don't expect loads of bass.

320kbps mp3, CDA or FLAC if you want to feel the bass

You won't get much bass out of poor mp3 rips, DAB or FM radio

That's true.

I have the Bolero + Canton, and in the beginning I felt Canton wasn't really that great, but that was because I mostly listened to FM radio. After a couple of months I exported my music library to a SD-card to use in the car. And that certainly made a difference on my view of the Canton.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Just a quick question:

Does anyone have experience with the canton system using wma/mp3 in VBR vs 320kbps.

I have ripped most of my wma/mps as VBR (setting 240-355kbps) using wmplayer and on my Dynaudio in the Scirocco that sounds good enough for me. Since that system is presumably better than the canton (at least considering the price I paid, and overall sound proofing in the Scirocco) and not knowing the canton I would like to get some feedback. I am currently loading up my sdcard for when the car arrives next week.

cheers

not according to the manual.

I actually thought about encoding my music to flac as well, but thanks to your question I checked and the Columbus is the only unit that can read flac and ogg. the Amundsen is like the Bolero, the Swing can't even read aac and wav

BTW: I'm getting the Bolero with Canton.

Edited by TomLux
  • Like 1

not according to the manual.

I actually thought about encoding my music to flac as well, but thanks to your question I checked and the Columbus is the only unit that can read flac and ogg. the Amundsen is like the Bolero, the Swing can't even read aac and wav

BTW: I'm getting the Bolero with Canton.

That's a bummer as I normally use ogg in my current Amunsden +.

Strange they have downgraded the ability to play them.

That's not "Si,ply clever" :D

That's what the manual says, i.e. what they guarantee to work. It might still work with ogg or lossless. I have now made a VBR max qual, mp3 320kbps, wav and wma lossless of one CD.

I will copy the rest of the music as is. When the Canton has settled in I will compare the different formats for that one album and decide if it's worth reincoding everything.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I'm in the process of ordering my O3. Or actually I have already ordered it but I want to modify the option list by adding the Canton Sound System. I have read a lot of pros and cons about this system. But one feature got my attention. It's the "vehicle Noise Cancellation" that is mentioned in the UK brochure. Here in the Netherlands it is not mentioned at all. So far I have only found it in the Irish , Australian and British brochure. Sadly asking Skoda directly does not give me much information.
 I don't know if the Canton System used in the Skoda's for the Dutch marktet is different from the one installed in Skoda's for the countries mentioned above.

So I thought I'd ask Canton owners in other countries if they have any experience with the noise cancellation feature. If so, is there any way to see if a Canton system has this feature (e.g. settings you can adjust in the menu). if I can check it this way I can go to a dealer and check it out.

I guess another way to test it is play an audio file with just silence and then, while driving, turn the audio system off and on. if there is any difference in audible vehicle noise then the feature is available and working .

Cheers,

Roel

I've not found anything in the menu about the noise cancellation, but I think the Canton is well worth the extra money.  It sounds as good as I've heard car stereo sound and the standard system is rubbish.  

It's not as good as a proper home hifi but unless you get a Naim Bentley nothing else does either.