Canton Sound System: pointless?

hey all

I'm just wondering whether the Canton sound system is really worth it. All 3 of the headunits offered only pump out 4 x 20w, so I'm not sure if they will really push the Canton speakers to any great extent.

Perhaps it is worth getting them and upgrading to an aftermarket headunit at a later date.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Danny

Though that is pretty pointless without 5.1 audio to feed it.

DVD's :-) I will soon have a mobile cinema for when I go camping, or have to wait around when picking the SWMBO up.

• Like 3

DVD's :-) I will soon have a mobile cinema for when I go camping, or have to wait around when picking the SWMBO up.

Indeed.

Put on a music DVD (concert) and listen to live music of your favourite bands in surround sound.

:)

• Like 1

But only while stationary! I think the 5.1 sound is linked to DVD is linked to the 8" screen - and it isn't allowed to show video while moving. Unless there is a setting (VCDS hack?) to suppress the screen and allow the audio while driving... I have ordered Columbus, but kind of wishing I had gone for Canton now... (£10 a month net!).

But only while stationary! I think the 5.1 sound is linked to DVD is linked to the 8" screen - and it isn't allowed to show video while moving. Unless there is a setting (VCDS hack?) to suppress the screen and allow the audio while driving... I have ordered Columbus, but kind of wishing I had gone for Canton now... (£10 a month net!).

I dont follow your thinking on this one. My Columbus only cuts the video, not the audio. I listen to concert DVD's etc on mine and the audio continues with no issue, ive not been lead to belive it'll be any different for the new Octavia and Columbus setup. Ive got the 12 speakerr premium upgrade on mine which I consider about average, no better tbh so I think Canton and Columbus would be a match made in heaven! :angel:

I dont follow your thinking on this one. My Columbus only cuts the video, not the audio. I listen to concert DVD's etc on mine and the audio continues with no issue, ive not been lead to belive it'll be any different for the new Octavia and Columbus setup. Ive got the 12 speakerr premium upgrade on mine which I consider about average, no better tbh so I think Canton and Columbus would be a match made in heaven! :angel:

Sounds promising - I was just speculating as I don't have the kit - and I thought I read that earlier Columbus was not the same as new Octy3 Columbus, so who knows.. I THINK that the Columbus in the demo car I had 10 days ago stopped playing the video (in a file on a USB stick) when I started driving, but I may be mis-remembering.

Sounds promising - I was just speculating as I don't have the kit - and I thought I read that earlier Columbus was not the same as new Octy3 Columbus, so who knows.. I THINK that the Columbus in the demo car I had 10 days ago stopped playing the video (in a file on a USB stick) when I started driving, but I may be mis-remembering.

Its doesnt allow video in motion but it doesnt stop the audio from playing through the speakers so you should still be able to enjoy the delights of 5.1 audio on the move. :)
  • Like 2

Hi guys! I'm from Sweden, And I recently ordered my Octavia TSI 180 Combi Elegance DSG :-).

I have the Columbus/Canton combination, and I wonder if anyone of you can confirm whether or not the soundsystem supports DVD-Audio and/or SASD?

Its doesnt allow video in motion but it doesnt stop the audio from playing through the speakers so you should still be able to enjoy the delights of 5.1 audio on the move. :)

Correct, it's what I do now as well.

:)

• 3 months later...

Almost started a new thread, but this looks the right place to ask.

I notice that Canton includes noise cancellation circuitry, something I only just found out. Anyone tested it? This might be the justification I'd need to upgrade to Canton.

Sound system. Forthose who love their

music,the standard 8 speaker sound system

onOctavia can be upgraded to a Canton

sound system which adds a central speaker

to the dash and a subwooferin the boot.

Canton also adds a digital equaliser and

sound level controls allowing spacial

optimisation for all orindividual occupants,

vehicle noise cancellation and when added

in combination with a ‘Columbus’ satellite

navigation,the ability to playDolby 5.1

surround sound.

Sound system. Forthose who love their
music,the standard 8 speaker sound system
onOctavia can be upgraded to a Canton
sound system which adds a central speaker
to the dash and a subwooferin the boot.
Canton also adds a digital equaliser and
sound level controls allowing spacial
optimisation for all orindividual occupants,
vehicle noise cancellation and when added
in combination with a ‘Columbus’ satellite
navigation,the ability to playDolby 5.1
surround sound.

very interesting....  is there canton on the golf as they may have more info than the usual information vacuum that is skoda!!

In one of the german magazines was a small test of the golfs dynaudio system. The last sentence was, although it didnt sound bad, the canton system of the Octi or the B&O system of the newer A3 does it better.

That does say something for the Canton system, as it is a well priced option.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bFAoCV4Fb9w

See at 0.59 min.

But sound still is something personal. I would try to test them both and draw your own conclusion.

Very different opinions in the German boards. So best is to test it yourself.

• Like 1

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is 'vehicle noise cancellation'??

Is it some sort of sound proofing to eliminate outsode noise or something??

The general idea is that you have a microphone inside (or possibly outside) the car that listens to ambient noise. This is fed into the noise cancellation circuitry which applies an equal but opposite sound wave which effectively cancels out the unwanted noise. The same concept is in use on noise cancelling headphones for example.

Ive ordered canton but not columbus only amundsen. Cant wait to hear my tunes on it! I've tested the bluetooth connect from an iphone and that was pretty impressive as well but I opted for mitsumi connection anyway :)

The general idea is that you have a microphone inside (or possibly outside) the car that listens to ambient noise. This is fed into the noise cancellation circuitry which applies an equal but opposite sound wave which effectively cancels out the unwanted noise. The same concept is in use on noise cancelling headphones for example.

Thank you for the explanation, just something I have never really heard of, must admit still trying to talk SWMBO into allowing me to change for a new vRS, if so Canton is the first tick in the opyions list!

Thank you for the explanation, just something I have never really heard of, must admit still trying to talk SWMBO into allowing me to change for a new vRS, if so Canton is the first tick in the opyions list!

Pah! Just do what I did, order your new car and tell SWMBO that you've ordered it and deal with it. I added the options I wanted. SWMBO didn't get a say. The only gripe she had was the badge snobbery. That's a different story though....