Handbrake Slack

Over the past few days, my handbrake has gone very slack for the first 2" of movement. I can pull it up so far, let go and it will just fall down again, the light doesn't come on for this bit of movement.

I have to pull it up very high to get it to stop on the handbrake.

I had this in the past, and did a few hard stops, and it was fine again.

I assume the cable has stretched. One thing, when I went to go home the other day, after being parked in the car park all day, it set of with a clunk as if it had seized on.

Can it be adjusted?

I think u can adjust it by removin the rear smoking tray and then u will see a 10mm nut with the handbrake off turn it clockwise and adjust it and check to see how many clicks. Usually 4 is ok. If this does not work get someone to work the handbrake to see if the ratchet on the calipers are free. If all ok will be the cable thats faulty.

Had the same happen to me today after leaving the car parked for over a week. It almost felt like the handbrake wasn't working at all but i checked while parked on a slight slope and it was working, just felt very weak.

I'll check out the 10mm nut and give that a tighten. :thumbup:

Over the past few days, my handbrake has gone very slack for the first 2" of movement. I can pull it up so far, let go and it will just fall down again, the light doesn't come on for this bit of movement.

I have to pull it up very high to get it to stop on the handbrake.

I had this in the past, and did a few hard stops, and it was fine again.

I assume the cable has stretched. One thing, when I went to go home the other day, after being parked in the car park all day, it set of with a clunk as if it had seized on.

Can it be adjusted?

It could well have seized on, it's a well-documented problem on here. The return mechanism in the standard Fagia 232mm calipers can be weak anyway and over time it can seize up so the mechanism can't retract when you release the handbrake, which is why people supplement it with the external return springs from other VAGs. I've had this problem and the mechanism seized up so that the caliper was pretty much unmovable; it began by not retracting when I released the handbrake so I'd be driving around with one rear brake on and in the end it wouldn't go on either. IMO you're looking towards replacing/refurbing (i.e. stripped and cleaned) whichever caliper is sticking :(

Got this sorted :)

Firstly the NS handbrake mech was a little bit seized, so was never fully opening up. Freed this off with a mallet, and put some WD40 in to help it, much freer movement now.

Then I fitted the springs to give it that bit of extra help fully opening back.

Job done :)

I have the passenger caliper off my car from my recent brake upgrade (drivers on mine was seized so that's been posted off to someone for bits). It's on eBay at the moment just in case I can get a couple of quid for it rather than binning it, but if it's any use to you as a spare in case your caliper seizes again then I'll just take it off and try and bring it up to the Snipe on Tuesday night?

Yeah, no probs. I've cleaned it up a bit to make it more presentable for sale and this caliper wasn't seized, but while it's off the car you might want to refurb it properly with new seals and touch up the paint etc just to save hassle later on :)

I think u can adjust it by removin the rear smoking tray and then u will see a 10mm nut with the handbrake off turn it clockwise and adjust it and check to see how many clicks. Usually 4 is ok.

I would like some more info on this as my handbrake is really high but I was told it can't be adjusted by my local mechanic :/

I can see the bolt that needs turning but would like to know if it affects anything else other than the hand brake?

• 4 weeks later...

I've ordered the return springs. £5.02 for the pair.

Will fit them tomorrow and see how I get on :)

Seems cheap, all the ones I see are about £5 each! Where from?

Edited by vRS G60

Seems cheap, all the ones I see are about £5 each! Where from?

I just went to my local VW dealer. I think Skoda can do them but VW is round the corner from me :)

• 2 years later...

Stupid question...  Does this happen with drums?

Not this issue, as this is caliper related, drums don't have a caliper :)

They can drag though, the cylinders can seize, the insides of drums can rust or the adjusting mech can seize/break.

Before adjusting cable on any handbrake set-up you need to confirm the rear brakes are set up correctly/in good condition.

• Like 1

I'd always try to remove the drums once a year to clean/inspect everything to avoid drag/sticking. This is why I prefer rear discs as they seem to be easier to consider cleaning, drum brakes are hidden so get forgotten about until it is too late - for maintenance think "preventative maintenance" not "repair".

I've got to replace handbrake cable as it was near the end of the threads last year, changed a piston as it was leaking, one of the retaining clips had dissolved! Have purchased all new pins n clips n shoes for this year's MOT

• Like 2