is a performance anti roll bar worth it?

I have snapped the rear anti roll bar quite close to the linkage on one side. Im thinking about getting a performance roll bar (obviously one for the front as well) to replace it rather then another OEM part.

Have you got up rated anti roll bars? are they good? worth the money? what ones have you got? would you recomend them or any others? what is the difference between OEM and uprated ones?

Edited by DRYDEN

I have a Whiteline adjustable. I think it really improved the feel and stability of the vehicle. Far less rear end roll, and changes in direction are much smoother. I only had a rear bar as I felt the front was stiff enough. It is the comparative roll stiffness front to rear which controls oversteer, and I was trying to reduce understeer. If you add roll stiffness at both ends then you will end up with the same understeer/oversteer charcteristics.

AFAIK VAG antiroll bars are hollow and aftermarket ones are solid. Technically the hollow bars are better as they are considerably lighter for the same stiffness (and more difficult to make). If the OEM bar snapped, then maybe an investigation is in order as to why.

For me the uprated bar has been a great improvement. Apart from a doing a bit of shopping here, most of my annual milage is on French D roads, twisty, uneven, undulating and largly traffic free.

• Like 1

thats a great link mate thanks! very good article written there. I was just looking at the Whiteline RARB as well, so knowing that they are good i am sold!

the garage down the road wanted 140 to replace the RARB with OEM part... think i am way better of getting the uprated bar myself for a similar price and buying some tools.

thanks again.

i'm pretty sure it snapped because i drove down an unclassified road which started off, not too rough, then had some quite challenging off road driving. there was no turning back so i had to keep going... wont be doing that ever again! still i have wanted to sort out the handling since getting it so its a motivator if nothing else.

thanks for the reply's

ONE LAST QUESTION....

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/anti-roll-bars/car/skoda/octavia-04-on/2006/2-0td-140

adjustable £177 or non adjustable £142 ??????? im more inclined on saving £30 unless there is a stiffer setting obtainable form the adjustables? is the non adjustable set to the stiffest setting on the adjustable model?

I've recently fitted a Whiteline adjustable rear ARB, made a huge difference in reducing body roll, reducing understeer: corners much flatter and more in control. Most people seem to just fit the rear on Octavia's and use the middle stiffness setting on Whitelines. There does seem to be a danger of the handling moving towards oversteering in the stiffest setting which might not be best for average skilled drivers.

I fitted mine myself which was very easy. 60mm bolts for the drop-link mounts were perfect. One thing to be aware of is checking clearances. I had lowered suspension fitted to mine afterwards and the mechanic said he had to move the ARB bushes (the point they mount on the bar is adjustable on the Whiteline) to prevent contact (not sure exactly what contact) at full compression.

yes i think i will just get a rear one, been researching it all day and you are right. think i may go for the non adjustable one though. Surely they wouldnt make the non adjustable one stiffer then the stiffest setting on the adjustable modle. right?

Edited by DRYDEN

Drop Whiteline an email?

A couple of years ago when I did mine, there was a fair amount of noise on the various VAG fora about stiffness of each model.

I have traversed quite a few VERY rough, boulder strewn tracks in southern France and never had a problem.

I e-mailed demon-tweeks the online shop selling these whiteline ARB's. they said that normally the non adjustable ones would be medium stiffness comparable with the adjustable ones. I thought if everyone sets them to the medium setting due to the stiffer setting creating more over and less under steer, making the back end to lively. That there was no point paying 35 extra for something i will never use. I bought the non adjustable ones :).

thanks for everyones help.

looking forward to fitting this next week and hitting up some roundabouts for a test drive haha

• 2 months later...

Sorry to pull up an old topic, but I have fitted the whiteline arb to the back of my octy vrs.

Feels great but I seem to be having a problem with the esp or whatever is on the car kicking in when im cornering.

It seems to love to tap the brakes for me when im cornering and its a bit un nervy, as I can feel the car is cornering fine.

its only happened since I put the arb on.

Any ideas

Thanks

I have my whiteline non ajustable rarb for a couple of weeks now and not noticed any of the problems you have encountered. I would get someone with a VCDS to see if the car has thrown up any errors or sensor failures. Let us know what you find out. :happy: 

• 3 weeks later...

that does sound strange.

no problems with mine. i would recommend the upgrade to anyone who doesn't have an upgraded RARB. I got the Hard non adjustable one and it is amazing. Only had the back end slip once but i was cornering very fast/hard and hit the brake... out it popped.

amazing upgrade to handling!

Getting mine fitted tomorrow afternoon & thought i'd treat the fronts to a Whiteline ALK kit too :think: . Looking forward to feeling the difference.

nice, let me know how the alk works out. the RARB is an Absolute treat, enjoy!

im thinking about a susp/shocks upgrade next... wouldn't want anything that creates a very harsh or choppy/bumpy ride though

• 4 weeks later...

Is the standard RARB on an Octavia vRS stiffer than that on a NON vRS Octavia?

In other words, for upgrading a non vRS Octavia, would replacing the standard ARB with a vRS one (or one for another performance A5 platform VAG car) show a marked improvement? 

• 6 years later...

Interesting question from clamberer. I would be interested to know the answer to this too. But look how long ago he asked that question; doesn't seem like the question interests many people. Maybe one has to mention leading manufacturer names and everyone will be able to provide an opinion? OK. Here's the question:

Octavia Mk2 VRS 2.0TDI S-A (dsg) at S1. Needs to pursue roundabouts and low flat curves or fast long curves with more certainty. Uncertainty through short tight quick corners like roundabout can make car unstable especially if touch of brake is needed at all. Obviously it shouldn't, but I'd like to tame the outcome of that little scenario if possible. Was roll exceeding expectation at that point? Yes.

Who recommends what and why?

Would an aftermarket ARB be of concern to insurance company or by its nature put premium up by suggesting a pursuit which the Company would not wish to entertain?

Thanks all!

We have a Whiteline RARB along with H&R -50mm cup kit.

RARB set on middle setting. Goes round corners nice and flat. Very little roll compared to standard.

Insurance went up slightly if I remember correctly.

Looking at putting a similar setup on my Audi A3 as it made such a difference to the VRS.

11 hours ago, OctaviaVRS2 said:

Would an aftermarket ARB be of concern to insurance company or by its nature put premium up by suggesting a pursuit which the Company would not wish to entertain?

I think the answer to that would be 'yes'. Now different insurance companies have different levels of sensitivity to mods and what might be a complete no-no to one might only be a trivial charge to amend the paperwork to another, but you don't know 'till you ask (for preference just before renewal time, so you can bail out if yours is on the sensitive side).

But, it is difficult to overestimate the sensitivity that some show; my lot were going to list my car as 'modified' (not too expensive, but still...) for an LED reversing light, which you can't see, and that someone had replaced the standard 'Skoda' wheel finishers with 'VRS' ones. A bit of talking to, and they eventually decided that this was trivial and not worth the bother, but the Co-op flat refused to insure the car as it was 'modified', and that's not what they do.  

Currently looking at fitting changed alloys - one of mine is warped, and they are all a bit pock-marked - and the impression I got was that the only alloys that wouldn't cost me more in insurance were ones that could have been fitted as an original purchase option from Skoda.

On 07/07/2013 at 23:50, muddymotox said:

...the esp or whatever is on the car kicking in when im cornering.

It seems to love to tap the brakes for me when im cornering and its a bit un nervy, as I can feel the car is cornering fine.

its only happened since I put the arb on.

Any ideas

Well, I don't know, but it sounds to me like you are 'wheel dangling'. In general, Golfs, etc, are set up with fairly stiff rear suspension, to get the handling balance about right. Generally, this 'about right' may well be a bit more 'safe, but dull' than enthusiastic drivers would really want, but is probably reasonably well judged for the middle market. Whether, eg, a VRS should be set up for the middle market is an issue of marketing... But you can quite see a lot of people on company car schemes just saying '...get me the most expensive Octavia...'

The ARB has made the rear stiffer and you are probably lifting the inside wheel off the road. At that point, with nothing other than stored energy driving the wheel, the esp probably detects that wheel as slowing unusually and applies the brakes. Although, if you do go 'wheel dangling' and apply the brakes, that wheel will slow down faster and trigger the ABS.

Some days you just can't win.

As per one of the responses from ~2013, I put on a full whiteline kit on to a standard 118TSI MY13 vehicle. No drop in ride height, I didn't need to drop the car. The car is far flatter around corners. I know mine isn't a VRS, but it made the world of difference. That along with a decent set of tyres, you'll have a ball :)

• 3 years later...

Question has anyone found uprated anti roll bar links for a Skoda rapid spaceback 1.6tdi ?