Daytime running lights

Hi my Octavia ('09) has day-time running lights built into the fog lamp cluster but they don't come on. My garage (Skoda dealer ) has set up the system so selecting DRL from the menu turns dipped headlights on. They say there's no way to turn the actual day-time running lights on. Any thoughts appreciated.

Your dealer is talking rubbish. They just need to DRL's in the fog lamp cluster, assuming you have a bulb in place, and then you can activate and deactivate the DRL's by either using Maxidot, if you have it, or using the indicator stalk method described in the manual.

• Like 1

i took the car to the dealer. he programmed the computer DLR appeared on the menu option activate/deactivate. dipped heads come on/off. DLR bulb in fog cluster stays out. dealer says that's the only option. Spoke with Skoda who agreed with him. said bulb not wired up !!!

Absolute rubbish.

Your dealer needs educating.

When activating the DRL's the dealer has a number of options, one of which is to turn on the dedicated DRL's adjacent to the foglights, another is to use dipped headlights instead (amongst a few other options including using the front fogs at reduced intensity).

I don't know why the Octavia is shipped without the DRL's activated, it seems quite random, some are, some aren't.

Either way, your dealer is wrong. Try to really fox them and ask them to activate the cornering fog lights, they'll probably set it up so that the radio turns on and off instead!

• Like 1

a guy here (in oz) with a 118tsi was told the exact same thing - "it cannot be done as there is no bulb and wiring"

i gave him the following code, which i used on my vrs:- Control Module > [09] Central elec / Coding / Long coding helper / byte14 / bit 5, Check the box.

he bought his own vcds cable, did the above coding, and voila, it works.

it just needs activation. the hardware is there......well atleast on the octavias shipped down under.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

Your Octavia has all that it needs built in you just need to find a dealer that knows what he's talking about. When I bought my 59 Elegance they asked me if I wanted them on and then enabled them. It took about 30 seconds. The Skoda technician said that if the bulbs are there when you buy the car new the system just needs enabling. Once enabled the manual tells you how to turn them on and off.

• 1 year later...

Your dealer is talking rubbish. They just need to DRL's in the fog lamp cluster, assuming you have a bulb in place, and then you can activate and deactivate the DRL's by either using Maxidot, if you have it, or using the indicator stalk method described in the manual.

Hi folks, I don't have maxidot and have tried switching on the DRL using the indicator stalk method but nothing happens. There are bulbs in place in the fog lights. Any ideas?

They first need activating.

Only then will you be able to switch them on/off using the indicator stalk (or Maxidot when fitted).

To activate them you should approach your dealer (but as you've seen in this thread quite a lot of dealers are not very good and Skoda UK customer services are often worse so they'll likely claim it can't be it done - they are wrong).

Better still find a local member with VCDS who will likely do it for a few beer tokens. There is a dedicated VCDS thread on here with a map of users willing to help.

Edited by silver1011

My drl are working when i leave my light switch in the off position. It also leaves the rear lights on. I guess it's like Scandinavian set up??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Alsomme

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Considering you are in Norway, I would think that Scandinavian mode is more than likely.

The Scandinavian mode on the FL is available using VCP, but not with VCDS.

Mike

An update. Had the car in for service an the dealer coded my drl so that now my back lights are off.

I didnt ask for it but afterwards i noticed that newer octavias have the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Met up with Karlosfandango1973 last night on my way through and his drl are now activated. As mentioned earlier all bulbs and wiring were present and it just needed byte 15 changing and then activating using the stalk.

Chalk up another one for briskodas knowledge vs dealers ;-)

• Like 1

Interesting. Is this VCDS or VCP the kind of thing any multi-brand workshop has to be able to service cars (commonly called "valise" [suitcase] here)? Any idea what the correct setting for France would be?