4x4 estate on the way in June with a choice of engines...

According to UK dealer information, the 4x4 (using Haldex 5) will be available from June. It will be available with the 1.6TDI, the 2.0TDI and the 180ps 1.8TSi.

Some photos here:

http://www.carscoops...combi-4x4.html?

Great news for me as Im pretty sure ill be getting an order in towards the end of the year. Not keen on the early Scout shots but really dont want to loose the awd facility. The only downside I can see is that its only available in SE spec so I'll be having to add even more options to bring it up to Elegance spec!

Something I noticed looking at the photos of the new 4x4, of the two cars shown, one has roof rails, the other does not. Is this now to become an option I wonder?

I was just thinking about this on the drive to work this morning, whilst sat behind a Mondeo estate. I have seen them, and Focus estates both with and without roof rails. I'd have thought roof rails on an estate would be standard every time as it is, after all, supposed to be a load lugger and more likely to be used carrying a top-box etc.

Must say though, the new 4x4 and combi do look good, in a "no nonsense" practical kind of way.

Edited by Eenymac

If I had to pay, I don't think I would bother. I am on my 4 estate car and after 14 years I have never carried anything on the roof! One was a 2004 Honda Accord Tourer and I don't think it had roof rails.

Looks naff without roof rails.

180 tsi with 4x4 sounds amazing. Even the basic 2.0 tdi with 4x4 would be nice. I can see these being very popular. 180bhp is pretty powerful so i wonder if they plan on doing the VRS with a 4x4 option? Even if not 180bhp would probably suffice plus a remap would make it virtually as quick anyway. I love the look of the old scout but in reality the increased ride height isnt essential so a standard car with 4x4 would be just about perfect. Ill wager there will be waiting lists for these 4x4 variants.

Looks naff without roof rails.

180 tsi with 4x4 sounds amazing. Even the basic 2.0 tdi with 4x4 would be nice. I can see these being very popular. 180bhp is pretty powerful so i wonder if they plan on doing the VRS with a 4x4 option? Even if not 180bhp would probably suffice plus a remap would make it virtually as quick anyway. I love the look of the old scout but in reality the increased ride height isnt essential so a standard car with 4x4 would be just about perfect. Ill wager there will be waiting lists for these 4x4 variants.

Interesting on the ride height - it doesn't look as high as the outgoing model and no BIG gaps in the wheel arches, so makes it look better I think. If it is indeed a lower ride height then it'll also have less body roll too so flatter cornering.

For aesthetic reasons Id have them but I do think its a weird thing to cut from the estate - if that is indeed the case. Maybe not having them as standard fitment allows them its to reduce drag in testing and therefore lower the cars published co2 ratings?! With 610 litres of boot space available I dont think id ever actually use a roofbox for my needs.The 1.8TSI 4x4 does sound great (very similar to my Yeti). Id wager that the quoted 0-60 time wouldnt be too far off that of the 220bhp VRS with FWD so it will be very interesting to see what drivetrain Skoda decide to use for the Mk3 VRS.

Loving the sound of a 1.8 4x4 - maybe in the Scout too (would make sense)?

Really, really hope so; off-road ability, 4x4, 180bhp manual.

Yes please.

:love: :rock:

Loving the sound of a 1.8 4x4 - maybe in the Scout too (would make sense)?

Really, really hope so; off-road ability, 4x4, 180bhp manual.

Yes please.

:love: :rock:

I thought the article said the 180 tsi would be exclusively DSG? Maybe not. Did it not also quote it as 7.5 0-62 which is pretty handy and plenty fast enough.

Did it not also quote it as 7.5 0-62 which is pretty handy and plenty fast enough.

Hmmm, and there was me considering how easily the Porsche brakes and the K04 turbo could be moved onto the Octavia nice and easily for 5 a second 0-60 time! :rofl::happy:

OT but Golf R's with a stage 1 map can do it in under 5 secs with a manual transmission and they run around 310bhp but I dont drive mine with that sort of disregard tbh.

Back on topic though... Ive decided im holding out right until the end of the year to hopefully have the fuller options of more transmission/engine/trim/drivetrain combinations. :)

Back on topic though... Ive decided im holding out right until the end of the year to hopefully have the fuller options of more transmission/engine/trim/drivetrain combinations. :)

And salesmen trying to hit end of year targets?

And salesmen trying to hit end of year targets?

Yes and the fourth quarter always being the flatest for our local dealers (presumably due to Christmas looming!) :)

I thought the article said the 180 tsi would be exclusively DSG? Maybe not. Did it not also quote it as 7.5 0-62 which is pretty handy and plenty fast enough.

You're right, it does.

At least it's the 6-speed wet clutch though. :)

Just a question, which rear suspension set up with this 4x4 have?

Good point. Youd hope it had the independant set up rather than the torsion beam. Not that wheel articulation is really that critical on this type of vehicle but independant suspension would provide a better ride over rougher terrain.

Good point. Youd hope it had the independant set up rather than the torsion beam. Not that wheel articulation is really that critical on this type of vehicle but independant suspension would provide a better ride over rougher terrain.

It would have to be. The torsion beam would get in the way of the AWD system.

• Like 1

It would have to be. The torsion beam would get in the way of the AWD system.

Where exactly does the torsion beam fit? Obvioulsy a lot of 4x4's have rigid axles hence why i assumed it may have been feasible?

Its probably just me but i like the look of the Hatch back octavia and dont like the look of the estate new or old versions. However i do want 4x4 why arn't they catering for this market surely its not just me. I want basically want a 4x4 octavia VRS im sure this would be popular. Not everyone who wants 4x4 wants the agricultural look!

Its probably just me but i like the look of the Hatch back octavia and dont like the look of the estate new or old versions. However i do want 4x4 why arn't they catering for this market surely its not just me. I want basically want a 4x4 octavia VRS im sure this would be popular. Not everyone who wants 4x4 wants the agricultural look!

Agricultural? Doesn't look much like a combine harvester to me. ;) I can see your point however. my mk1 4x4 turbo was a better all rounder than the mk2 vrs i replaced it with; primarily down to its tractive abilities. The mk2 4x4 was estate only. There is talk of the mk3 VRS being made with an awd drivetrain but we won't know for sure for a while.

Autocar seem to like it, but suggest the 2l diesel is the way to go over the 1.6. Clicky

Doesn't look the 1.8TSi is an option this time around and no mention of any ground clearance/sump guard action this time. So I guess more like the Superb 4x4.

I guess they're saving all the rufty tufty stuff for the Scout?

Niall