Oil Test Results

Sorry Jabbo I just can't see the point at all...

I know many people who drive £500 cars who would give anything to own a vrs

Jmo obviously but maybe you should be thankfull for what you have rather than look for problems that may/may not be present

If my vrs uses oil I put more in. If it becomes a problem I'll just buy something else

Enjoy the car for gawds sake

Missing the point I am afraid. I am not worried really, I even stopped checking the oil and do not have oil temp dispalyed on my MAXIDOT at the moment :sweat: :peek: :o :o .

I am one of those who just have to know and I find pleasure in reading obscure tech literature. Things like F1 exhaust are made by hand from material which easily brakes and becomes translucent when at full operating temps - you can see through F1 engine's ehaust at full chat :devil: . Same with modern oils, they are very advanced chemical compounds containing multitude of aditives etc and reading them cn tell you huge amounts about your engine without actually having to take it apart. It can tell you your big end bearings are going before any other symptoms become noticeable, it can tell you your rings are wering off due to lack of lubriction among may other things. It's like blood test for humans - basic and most universal dignostics tool available. Expensive machinery using oil has it tested on regular basis to make sure anything can be caught before ctastrophic failure occurs.

Is it needed for average Joe? Perhaps not. Can it be beneficial? Certainly! Undoubtedly it is the cheapest way of early problems diagnosis available. Try to get an engine diagnostics of this level for that amount of money by dismantling the damn thing :).

And I am enjoying my car very much. Just today was acceleration comparison testing with an old 911 ;)

Following the topic... so far no oil problem but need to be careful... :)

Me being careful is making sure I red line her at least once a day and give her good, long spirited drive at least once a week. She rwards me with no oil consumption, good power and nice, smooth cold idle :love: .

MPG chase with her and she grumbles each morning I turn her on :blush: .

I think I can shell out £40 a year/6 months (if I keep up with my 5k oil changes) to have the oil tested.

It's good to be curios Jabo. Nice one...I think the oil viscosity drop is not a problem. When we were engine benching and oil analysing last year on a new engine development, oil viscosity varied considerably at various mileages. Sometimes quite unexpectedely so at low mileage. I doubt it's fuel that's caused it.

I think JerryT would be the best man to answer this question. I think it might have something to do with molecular bonds breaking or "oil sheering" which has an effect on viscosity.

I think it might have something to do with molecular bonds breaking or "oil sheering" which has an effect on viscosity.

I think that is highly likely. Could be that all you are looking at is normal wear and tear on the oil and one of the reasons that it needs changing.

Another thing I would question is the "Castrol Edge has viscosity of 70 centistokes at 40C" - as a former industrial chemist I know that values are never so specific! It will be 70 +/- a tolerance

Furthermore, this data sheet

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf

gives typical viscosity for 5W-30 Edge as 62.64 cSt @ 40C -

This one says 70 mm2/s - NOT cSt but I think they are the same

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/castrol/CASTROL-EDGE-5W-30-FST.pdf

NB these are TYPICAL values not absolute specifications

Jabo, we were working with the oil scientists closely right from the early stages of development with our engine. Initially, we were finding considerable oil molecular chain shear with our initial design causing considerable viscosity changes from very low miles. This was pretty much cured in our case with some minor changes to engine internals and some clever stuff from the oil boffins. However, although this variable viscosity reading at quite low miles thing is a known quantity, I hadn't realised just how variable it can be on road going engines. I'm a biker, and having had some oil tested on one of my beauties, it showed considerable viscosity degradation after just 2k. But bikes are harder on oil than most cars as they run much hotter and pull revs like there is no tomorrow...often there isn't of course, if you pull too many!! It'll be molecular shear if you are redlining it everyday, especially if it's very hot at the time. Even with fully syn oils, prolonged spells in slow moving heavy traffic and the heat it generates will start degrading the oil viscosity bit by bit, and of course, the oil never recovers. Sounds about normal to me. Switching oil brands may help.

I think you're bang on the money there as I was loading the top conrod journals pretty well during my running in routine of low gears, low engine speeds but full throttle. I think twincharger should be running on much thicker oil...

BTW, what engine design are you talking about?

As for switching brands Mobile1 seems to be the king of sheer strength. I've seen few tests putting it on top of the pile. Castrol was somewhere at the bottom of the first ten out of 50 I think.

I think you're bang on the money there as I was loading the top conrod journals pretty well during my running in routine of low gears, low engine speeds but full throttle. I think twincharger should be running on much thicker oil...

BTW, what engine design are you talking about?

I think Mobil 1 is very very good. We tested it and found it a great oil in our engine. Funny, but a thicker oil will probably shear even more and not flow quick enough to remove heat from journals and other critical parts. I've been working on a new engine project (last year, it's finished now). It started as a bit of a part time low cost fun project for a company I know. It quickly got out of control and became all consuming. I love the oily bits! I can't tell you anything about the actual engine as it's all confidential. But, it looks as if it's being taken up by a big manufacturer for production soon. It will appear in many different forms though and it's class leading.

Its the petrol content that I'm specifically interested in since imo its this factor which then results in later issues ie accelerated wear

Its the petrol content that I'm specifically interested in since imo its this factor which then results in later issues ie accelerated wear

Me too but it looks like this is an expensive test to perform. I am certainly not spending hundreds of pounds to have it done. However it could be partially deducted from the viscosity levels changes. The only other way of confirming your injectors are washing the oil off the bore walls or the intake system is designed in such a was as to drop the fuel out of suspension is to take the head with intake mani off and have it flowed on the wet flow bench. I suspect oil testing would be much cheaper ;).

In standard engines or even in most modded engines, petrol oil dilution is not normally a problem if it's setup right and the car is being used as it was designed to be used. If oil dilution is causing a problem you will normally smell the petrol in the oil if you drop it, and a good tech will detect it even on the stick if it's bad enough to worry about. People who only do short trips in their cars, rarely doing a trip where the engine warms up properly are more likely to suffer from fuel in the oil. That can then be a problem if they don't treat the car as being in 'extreme' use and change the oil more frequently to compensate (which anyone should be doing if their car is used like that, as per your service manual instructions!). There is always some small amount of petrol entering the oil in all our cars even when in normal use. In the main this petrol evaporates from oil without doing any harm or affecting the viscosity to any degree whatsoever. Unless you are specifically in the category of using your car in extreme use (very short cold trips), or you can smell fuel in the oil, I would not worry.

YPu see, that's the whole point, I THINK I can smell oil when I am dipping the Stick of Horror. As I have no comparison with any other petrol cars recently I can't tell whether this is normal or a problem.

YPu see, that's the whole point, I THINK I can smell oil when I am dipping the Stick of Horror. As I have no comparison with any other petrol cars recently I can't tell whether this is normal or a problem.

I think you'll find its quite normal... :nerd:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes the oil problem it is...:) for the last 1.500 km, I had to add 2 litres of oil... this is annoying will try to solve the problem with the local dealer...

TeamPASAOGLU