Roof bars and box

Should be getting my new twindoor 170ps 4x4 soon, I plan to add roof bars and roof box to carry my caravan awning plus other bits and bobs. I believe that the skoda box is a Thule, and don't no if the OEM bars are any better or worse that other proprietary brands, at a glance the Kamei Boxes look to be very good, but I would appreciate any feedback from roof box users

I already had Thule bars, so just ordered the footpack adaptor when I got my twindoor. Works very well. Being a cheapskate I have an Aldi 320l roofbox- works fine for me but doesnt get heavy duty use =only on a few times a year for holidays, but has also taken SWMBOs mothers wheelchair on occaision when boot full of suitcases

Have a look at whispbar roof racks. They are aerodynamic and noise free to leave on all the time if you so wish. They also have the track so that they are compatible with other brands.

Edited by JakeBlade

We have an estate, so use roof bars on the roof rails. I've used Thule and Atera (from The Roofbox Company http://www.roofbox.co.uk/). If you're lucky you might find the right ones on eBay - but bars for a twin door are more specific than for cars with rails and come up comparatively rarely.

Roof boxes are pretty universal. Thule and Kamei are very good. Depending on what you want, you might find a bargain on eBay. I had very specific requirements for length and height to accommodate skis and still fit on a Eurotunnel double deck shuttle. My first box cost £18, which was sold on and a second was bought for less than £100.

My suggestion is to be patient, choose the roof bars first, deciding whether you want steel rectangular section or aluminium "Aero" style with T slots and whether you want a short wide, long thin or long wide box. You wouldn't I assume, want to have such a long box that it overhangs and fouls the twin door's hatchback, nor would you want a long overhang over the windscreen! It might be that you want to choose a box that had more or less the dimensions of the Thule Pacific 100 or 500 (in the Skoda accessories catalogue for the Superb).....or pop down to your dealer with a tape measure! I've bought accessories from The Roofbox Company and have corresponded with them They seem pretty good and offer an exchange service if what you buy doesn't suit.

On my estate, a box measuring 7' 6" long didn't look out of place. Having looked at the drawings of the twin door, I'd suggest a box about six inches to a foot shorter would be a better fit.

Hope this helps

Agree about roofbox company, I have used them whenever I have changed a car and needed new adaptors. I have two sets of bars of different length, a set of footpads for roofrails as I have had a few estates over the years, and I have a set of standard feet for saloon/hatch with new adaptors needed at each vehicle change (current cost about £30 a set) Roofbox co provide good delivery service and you can hire gear from them if you want to try different types. Also when I have had problems their customer service is first class

I was on the roofbox website last night looking at roof boxes, they are doing package deals which include box and roof bars etc. Worth a look.

Ive got a twin door. I have a thule wingbar setup. It is very good. It's is easy to fit and remove, it is also pretty quiet when on the move.

I had a thule evolution 700 roof box. It was approx 230cm long and fit well, not getting in the way of the boot opening and also very quiet when on the move.

I now have a thule spirit 780 roof box. It's smaller at 196cm long but has easy mount fixings and is more aerodynamic and very sleek. It is really easy to mount to the bars and holds lots.

I chose not to buy the skoda OEM setup as it is only good for your car. If you change car your bars are worthless.

If you can afford Thule bars get them as they are the best, due to cost constraints I got Mont Blanc bars for my old Superb1, luckily they are the same bars and fitting kit that with a bit of adjustment Mont Blanc say fit my Superb2, they don't have the pins to fit in the holes under the roof but i've used them with 4 bikes on a few times and they work brilliantly, very solid, they also use a security torx to lock to the roof, not as good as a key lock I know but better than some.

Edited by bryanp

I bought Kamei Corvara 390K and Whispbars for my old A4. When I switched to the Superb I just bought new foot packs for about £30. Box and bars are excellent.

Got them from the Roofbox company, who were fine to deal with.

• 5 months later...

I m trying to choose between the Thule Wingbar Edge and the Whispbar 

as in these ones : http://www.shop1auto.com.au/Roof_Rack_Models/BUYONLINE/Thule_9584_WingBar-Edge_roofracks.html

and 

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/prorack_whispbar_85cm_aero_x_rail_bars_2_no_prs44/Qx%40w%2C6M4%2CME%7D%40nkCu5P5zqBAFAwnzVTgozjqeVfI%7DwRRYIB.wb3dsVqHwJhAsjV4

I want to leave the bars on the whole time (storage issues) but can anyone tell me if they have these and can operate the panoramic sunroof - neither Thule nor Roofbox can tell me!

Thanks in advance! 

I have the Whispbars on my Superb, and I had them on my B6 Passat before that.  Passat had sunroof, Superb doesn't.  They worked absolutely fine with the sunroof on the Passat.

They really are fantastic bars - very low profile, and quiet.

I have the prorack whispbars and having had Thule all my days I would say there built every bit as good and without the logo you would think that they were from Thule. I used the Thule t bar adapters to fit my Thule Ocean roof box. Don't waste you money buying the Thule as the prorack are just as good at half the cost.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express