POOR OLD ROOMSTER

I see in the Auto Express their Driver survey of cars puts the Roomster down at 71 out of 100.Marked down for fidgety ride, poor brakes, performance and handling. Also build quality and reliability were poor. Something it did score highly on was practicality. Yeti came first and Superb second. Bottom of the pile was Honda Accord MKV11 at 100. Anyway not going to worry about it too much, still like my second-hand Scout, and the only problems in my 3 years of ownership are faulty seat belt stalk ,(fan resister pack replaced under warranty) and front suspension bushes due possible at next MOT.

I see reading on ther is another list minus information,and this runs on from 100 too 150 and bottom at 150 is the Mitsubishi Colt MkV.So my apologies to the Honda Accord it didn,t come bottom.

And as the list goes to 150 position 71 for the Roomster isn,t as bad as I first thought.

Roomsters not so poor after all!

The brakes weren't brilliant... and the old 1.6 engine wasn't very good but the handling was great for a tall car, the ride fine and the only problem I had in five and a half years was the electric windows.

Strange, I find brakes at least on MY2012 very good, in fact if anything the servo is a bit over-sensitive. Fidgety ride and handling do not seem to be a problem either. Perhaps they sorted out the chassis in the meantime? I noticed 2012 Roomie has "sport" layout suspension, ie with high anti-roll bar, and it definitely handles better than Mk1 Octavia 1.9TDI, which is a good baseline. Just goes to show the surveys lag behind the car development. 2010+ Roomsters have Fabia 2 front, so there are quite a few differences in suspension, in fact front is almost a copy of Mk1 Octavia "sport" suspension now.

I would only grade Roomster down on the mildly disappointing 1.6CR engine, fuel thirsty in town and prone to DPF sensor failures, but you'd have to grade down half of VAG group diesel cars on this. Another minor complaint is that heated seats only have 2 heat outputs, and the lower heat setting is already too hot for continuous use on a long trip.

But really, other than less than brilliant engine and quirky looks that some do not like, I'd say Roomster is nothing short of a brilliant family car. For the price on 0%VAT offer, it is by far the best value for money offering in current Skoda range, whatever the trim/options.

I've got 40,000k on my 2010 Roomster. It handles well for the type of vehicle that it is - its not a sports car. The breaks are good - no problems even when driven hard. Performance for a 1.6 petrol engine is good - goes as good as any non-turbo 1.6 petrol). Fuel consumption is great on the highway and reasonable around town (over 600k on a tank around town). I wonder who they surveyed???

Edited by Geoken

I just logged in here to see if any threads on this. Surprised me too - I think it scored low on build quality? Mine seems fine - interior isn't very special but that's a different thing right? Drives nicely I reckon - well considering I don't suppose anyone would want a guy like a Roomster if they cared a lot about the driving side of things. Only problem I've had was a dodgy battery which was a pain but I don't blame the car for that. I did consider a Yeti but thought the Roomster a better option as seemed to have a bit more luggage space and happy to save the extra cash. Do wonder if some of the older cars with the less appealing engines brought the score down.

Strange, I find brakes at least on MY2012 very good, in fact if anything the servo is a bit over-sensitive.

They did put a stronger brake servo on the facelifted cars. Agree the Roomster is a better handler than the Octy1.

What is the context for the result can you compare the handling of a 1.2 petrol engine against a 1.9 diesel, the weight distribution will be different? What other cars were in the survey, all 5 door hatches?

• Administrators

I had a 1.9pd scout 3 a while ago. 58 plate IIRC. Handling was fine, for b and a roads. I came to it from a modified mk1 octy RS and MX5 and wasn't particularly upset... No issues on performance, either go or economy. If anything was more engaging to become smoother.

Might agree on brakes, but you just adapt/use gearbox.

To be fair 71st, is not bad, given the myriad of other cars on the market. This model after all represents a set of compromises to achieve a different goal. You can after a bit of cleverness, sleep 2 people on a slide out bed in a roomster, can't do that in many other cars, which may or may not handle better ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I would go by the users reviews than the profesional reviewers. If you look at all the car magazines they all give differing star results for the same vehicle also they compare cars not in the same price bracket and of the same use e.g. Roomster, Kia Venga, Hyndia xi20 min MPV all in the £11 to £16 thousand price bracket but magizenes put them a range of vehicles £11 to £25 thousand mini MPV and MPV. How can you realistic compare a car that costs half the price of another. My Roomster is not jiggily on uneven road surfaces and we live in the country with badly maintained minor roads, build quality as a massed produced computerised production line in Skoda's new manufacturing plants there is unlikely much difference betewn vehicles produced and ours is as far can tell well put together and no problems, nothing lose, etc infact very well put together. My feeling that the publishers are courted by the manufactures and some pressure is applied to show their vehicles in a good light. Or am I an old cynical barsteward