benefits - elephant mod

Having recently completed the elephant mod I am trying to figure out the benefits:

there is less smoke when I am heavy with the right foot

acceleration seems smoother

possibly a few more horses

Are these improvements really there or is it just the placebo affect of having done another mod ?

Just seems like modding for moddings sake to me. if it gave 10 bhp i would consder it but for neglegable gains its not worth the hassle. imo.
it's not just modding for moddings sake at all, it's to stop all the oily vapour going back into your inlet, for the price it costs it's well worth doing, stops all the intercooler pipes bunging up with oil too.
  • Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Does the egr gases and breather vapours even go through the intercooler? Just wondering?

Crank case beather oil gets into intercooler pipework then when it meets the egr gases it creates that black tar horrible stuff in the inlet manifold / egr valve

Its not what it will do for you it what it WON'T as said above ...I dunno why some are so "gain" oriented...

obviously don't value the long term care of the car ! Its a performance mod "in the bank"....don;t do it then see how crap your car will become in time :rofl: oh and the 1hr just to hook up a pipe (that long?) - well you really want to be looking at stripping everything down if its done any miles to clear down what is ALREADY gunked up there, otherwise the stable door is already left open

Guest BigJase88

I clean my egr every service couldnt be bothered deleting it with the pest of the cel

Just got rid of the oil vapour with the ccv and keep ontop of soot every 10k

Did mine today as I had the boost pipe off so cleaned the egr as best I could with it on the car. Had some airline hose so used it to do this mod. Ran the hose down the back of the engine and stuck a crankcase filter on it off my old focus st. 320DEBA3-2152-42F5-BB3D-D7F7788B9A06-99977-000013B666B4FEB5_zps6ccd30b2.jpg5AF27BBD-08F6-4F40-8369-A3D444C58686-99977-000013B64A94BA18_zpsa97cc17d.jpg4052D601-24D1-4AB9-8463-29821C530B4F-99977-000013B66E59AB83_zpsccca3b44.jpg

All done and you'd never know. Took about 10mins to do but I was on a ramp. A little bit of steam out of it with it running. Seems to drive abit smoother but could be a placebo or due to the egr being cleaned but for 10mins work and it costing nothing its worth doing.

Edited by Kyle_vrs

Guest BigJase88

Take the filter off! Will just jam up with oil and after a few k miles could cause pressure to crankcase

For all my sarcasm I think i'll complete this mod soon. Quick Question; If the vacuum line is taken off the egr and the egr blocked on the manifold, would this work the same as a delete kit? I have an ASZ engine and dont want to get rid of my shudder valve.

• 3 years later...

I did a true budget version on my Octy 1 and used a washing machine waste pipe I cut off an old machine at the tip. Used a chair leg rubber (also from the tip) to bung up inlet which also fitted perfectly.  Total cost £0.