Loud bang/clunk while stationary

Hi all please excuse me if this has been asked many times but I haven't got the time to search properly right now.

Right, I hoovered my car yesterday and while putting the Hoover away in the garage I heard a loud bang/clunk from my car (it was off and parked)

I had suspicions it was my car but had a quick glance over and everything seems fine. Today on the way to work I've noticed a knock whilst turning and moving over slight bumps in the road. Ie roundabouts. So far it seems it only does it when I turn right, based on my 3mile drive to work.

is there anything I should look at based on my symptoms? top mounts? Front arb? Coil springs? Consoles? And what specifically to check for if so.

Thanks

It happened to me once coming down off a kerb. Had to drive 100 miles with it, as soon as I got back it was obvious.

Be very thorough when checking the springs.

It would explain the loud bang too - the springs are under pressure so when they break? Yep - loud bang.

+1 for a front spring.

Mine did it when I started the car one morning and took the handbrake off. The standard springs are over tempered for the cheap grade of steel from which they are made. Don't drive it or you'll destroy the top mount.

On my drive home from work it seems it clunks whether straight line or turning and sounds very metallic.

Jack the car up, take the front wheel off and look up inside the arch for the top coil of the spring to have snapped off and be hanging there, check each side and get the broken piece of spring out which will be nearly circular and awkward to remove.

Order a set of Eibach Pro springs and get them fitted, you may need a new top mount/spring seat on the affected side since you've been driving it since it happened.

Found the culprit. It's half a coil right at the bottom. Here's a pic:

null-5.jpg

So I'm guessing no top mount needed? I am thinking about either eibach, h&r or weitecs tbh.

Found the culprit. It's half a coil right at the bottom.

So I'm guessing no top mount needed? I am thinking about either eibach, h&r or weitecs tbh.

Given the age of the car, it makes no sense not to replace the top spring seats/bearings and probably the top mounts and bolts when you replace both springs.

Edited by rum4mo

If you're stripping the whole lit to swap springs then why wouldn't you replace the extra's at the same time, they're inexpensive and it saves the ball ache of having to do the job again or worse paying someone else to do it all again sooner rather than later.

If you're stripping the whole lit to swap springs then why wouldn't you replace the extra's at the same time, they're inexpensive and it saves the ball ache of having to do the job again or worse paying someone else to do it all again sooner rather than later.

The man is talking sense amigo, you know it's the best option, and will save you money in the long run.

I'd do the other side too. SWMBO Seat Altea brike a spring at 49k / 5 years old and the RAC man who towed us to the garage as the suspension had dropped suggested it as the old spring would be weaker, so the car might handle a bit strange