Oil advice

Hey gang, I recently purchased a vRS mkII about a month ago, which all i can say is that is such a great car, best car i've ever owned.

However I think I have an oil issue with mine. Noticed in the first week or two which i did about 600mi, it used 3/4ths of the dipstick. I took it back to the dealer to be checked and they made me do a 300mi test which when done they replaced the breather pipe.

I checked the oil level afterwards when i got home and the level seemed to be over the level? maybe they overfilled it? post-63152-0-64172500-1368985667_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, I have just done another 300mi and it seems to have used 1/4th of a dipstick. Is this right amount of usage for a vRS?

Any advice can someone give me? I always check the oil at 70c and do 5 dips on a flat surface. It's starting to become a right pain with taking it back all the time with time off work etc. Thanks alot!!

Normal driving it really should not be using any oil.

That was the point of the 'Oil Consumption test', to see if it did.

*That wil have been a Different Breather pipe, a Breather Modification,

it might well not have worked, never yet heard of one that has.

You will see the dozens of threads in this section on the subject.

?? How many miles has the engine done?

Are you always checking it hot after a few minutes from stopping,

or checking it dipped when cold.

Try just to see,

a recent way i started checking last after another member noticed something.

When the engine is cold.

Dip the level and see where it is.

Turn the key and start the car and see where the Oil level on the stick is.

The dealer should have put in 3.6 litres.

When the engine is up to heat and stopped, the level should be well up the Crosshatched area, near the top.

On my car, that would be up above the Cross hatched Area when cold.

At the top Orange Marker.

(when hot, that is at the top of the Cross hatch.)

Do not overfill with oil.

Time to see what Skoda UK are going to do,

they allready know if you need a Replacement engine since they did the 'Breather Mod, and they know it does not resolve the problem, just delays things.

george

• Like 1

At least there is the safety net of warranty. Think most people on here who have had new or recon engine after failed breather-mod seem to be fine once it's been sorted. I wouldn't touch a used Fabia vrs without a warranty! Makes you wonder if the last owner of yours got fed-up of the oil use and offloaded it.

I see that your car was on the stock list a 2 dealers. Bickerton & Rainsworth.

Was it originally a Dealers Demonstrator,

& what has it had in the way of Services done, a 10,000 & 20,000 mile?

I would get it in to get the engine done sooner rather than later, so that you have Warranty still on the car,

incase Skoda will not extend the Warranty on the replacement engine.

george

Hay Wazzag - I raised a similar question on the forum.. and received lots of advice... Might be worth looking at my thread.. My question was around monitoring the oil consumption but interestingly it seems that the Skods boys are over filling the vRS.... I mention that on my thread and I think you too mention it.

I havent exactly experienced oil loss yet, my car has 4K on the clock and my manufactor warrenty runs out June 2014 and I am considering extended warrenty but its gonna cost around £499+.. The car unfortunately uses oil and I think its a balance and trade off.. I'd be interested to know what comes of your situation. Keep us informed.. good luck... here is my thread anyway... it might help!!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/275077-fabia-vrs-engine-oil-top-up/

Best plan is to forget the dipstick and just top up if the orange warning light comes on tbh. Best way to avoid repetitive over oil filling ( which then simulates oil consumption issue)... :-)

Thanks for the overwhelming response!!! I have checked the dipper again carrying it out as George stated and it doesn't seem to be any different... maybe i am doing it wrong. Anyhow serviced 24/5/12 @ 6258mi and 17/4/13 @ 11310 mi when i brought it. Both times it just had an oil change.

I am thinking of doing 600mi and checking then to see where it is and can go from there. I believe the car was a demo for a short while but was then was purchased.

Don't know if this is related or not but have had a couple of issues with the DSG box. Sometimes when in manual mode and coming to a stop, when I try to pull away it doesn't do anything, and on the maxidot where it shows a 1 it disappears for a couple of seconds then comes back. I take my foot off the accelerator and put it down again and it seems to go. Weird or what! :S

Edited by WAZZAG

Update (sorry cant find how to edit existing post): Spoken with dealer and offered free oil and to do 1000mi to give the breather mod to work bla bla and then go back for another test if the issue is still present, but to be honest I feel the mod has not done anything as I am at 500mi since using the modification and still using vast amounts of oil. I have contacted SUK now and put my case forward.

Don't feel it's right having own the car for a month or so being put through all these tests. Just wanting it sorted so I can enjoy driving other than this oil issue a fabulous car.

• 3 weeks later...

Update Update: The car was booked in after 1000mi to retest, and also look at a problem with the gearbox (see www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/277110-dsg-issue/#entry3279676). Dropped the car off to be tested, and it seems to still be using too much oil.

After dopping the car off they could not replicate the gearbox issue so had to travel back up to the garage to show them. Casued the issue within 5 minutes of driving. The dealer say the fault with the gearbox is an unkown issue and have got the factory and uk techs involved. So the time being to say with the citigo :sweat:

Anybody had an experience like this before? How quick are the Skoda factory team at sorting these kind of issues? The max SLA for just a response I am told is 48 hours, and that is litrally just a response....

They have also mentioned that the car ECU has been modfied/remapped which may cause issues, however I have not had anything done to this car at all. It's only ever been to the same dealer as I purcahsed the car from. I don't understand how they can sell me a car that has been modified? surely they check these things?

Do you mean that a ECU Update was done while it was in for the first service or the likes?

Not much wrong with that, you should be told when its done, but mostly Customers are not.

or,

Do you mean that they mean some Owner has had a Re-map done on the engine and attempted to have done on the DSG.?

That happens as well, people modify cars, Dealers can hardly know unless it shows when the car gets plugged in at a Service or the likes.

People Tune or Modify them, then trade in or hand back cars at the end of a lease..

The type of fault you are experiencing has been documented before, so any stories of 'Never Heard of it',

are really BS.

They will be able to replace with a New DSG if they have no knowledge of whats wrong.

Not going to be difficult for them to do at the same time as they fit a new engine.

Maybe Read todays posts on DSG Recalls from Australia & NZ,

thats something different though.

george

George and I have chatted about this recently and I have come to these conclusions.

Dip to the manufacturer's recommendations i.e. 'hot' after stopping a 'few' minutes.

This gives you two variables i.e. what is 'hot' and what is a 'few' minutes.

So you get a reading on the dipstick and remember where it was on the hatched area, hopefully.

Then leave it over night and the next morning it will be cold and most of the oil will have drained into the sump.

Dip it and it will almost certainly read about 2-3mm above the hot reading.

So I recon if you top up the oil from a cold dip you will put less oil in to top up to the top of the hatched area, if you top up hot you will put more oil in to the top of the hatched area, with the possibility of over filling, due to the two variable mentioned above.

So I now check hot and fill from cold and check weekly. Every fill up of petrol is the recommended oil check period and this will be OK I recon.

Tony

George and I have chatted about this recently and I have come to these conclusions.

Dip to the manufacturer's recommendations i.e. 'hot' after stopping a 'few' minutes.

This gives you two variables i.e. what is 'hot' and what is a 'few' minutes.

So you get a reading on the dipstick and remember where it was on the hatched area, hopefully.

Then leave it over night and the next morning it will be cold and most of the oil will have drained into the sump.

Dip it and it will almost certainly read about 2-3mm above the hot reading.

So I recon if you top up the oil from a cold dip you will put less oil in to top up to the top of the hatched area, if you top up hot you will put more oil in to the top of the hatched area, with the possibility of over filling, due to the two variable mentioned above.

So I now check hot and fill from cold and check weekly. Every fill up of petrol is the recommended oil check period and this will be OK I recon.

Tony

Which is all fine and dandy as long as you then accept that you are effectively ignoring Skoda's "hot check always" method.

And personally I would ignore it and just check cold and put in a half litre when it's at the bottom of the hatched area.

There has been lots of speculation on here but nothing conclusive,so my feeling is that the vRS dipstick is the same as most others,bottom equals add oil,middle leave alone and be careful not to go over the top mark and overfill it.

Also I have not seen any definite evidence that slightly overfilling promotes high oil usage,I think that either you have a faulty oil burning engine or you don't.

Not conclusive or even relevant maybe,,

but if you dip your oil cold, where is it on the Dipstick.?

& Where is it, if you dip it 'At operating temperature',?

which is what VW say due to a different translation in the Polo owners manual, from that of Skoda in the Fabias.

george

"but if you dip your oil cold, where is it on the Dipstick.?"

As I mentioned above; 2-3 mm higher cold than hot, so if you aim for middle to upper hatched area no danger of under or over filling.

This is working for me, as I check hot and fill from cold and check weekly.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying on this guys. Email nofication didn't come through on the posts.

It seems the previous owner has remapped the car which has caused Skoda to throw toys out of the pram and delay so much of this process. After many calls with Skoda and the retailer, a new engine has been fitted along with a mechatronic unit and ECU. This has been done on Tuesday this week, but the ECU is on back-order and will not be here to Friday next week (which unfortunatly messes up travel plans... but Skoda have paid for taxi's).

Shame really because they will have had my car over a month then..... *sigh* :(

Thanks for everybody's reply's to this thread!